PDA

View Full Version : Hotcam-Tappet and shim adjustment

Billdog350
07-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Time to check/adjust my valve clearance so I figure I'll drop a hotcam in there since I need to remove the cam if I need to re-shim anything anyway. Has anyone done this before and can they tell me how much of a PITA it is? I've done valve adjustments on my Honda's before but it is CAKe on them.

Questions: Approx how long for entire cam replacement project?
How much of a pain to adjust the shims?

thanks for any input.

Billdog350
07-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Also, anyone have a problem with upping the compression by replacing the base gasket with the DRZ gasket and also doing a hotcam with stock springs?

Dr. Quad
08-14-2004, 08:56 PM
if you know how to work on engines it is not bad to adjust you will need to check the clearance then remove the cams lift off the bucket and check the shim they have a chart to tell you the right shim to get if you need to. i have built a few z400 motors and i have never had a valve far enough out i had to change the shims it is a good system that doesnt need adjusted much i have done two drz base gaskets one a long time ago he said he liked it i did mine today i was running a k&n filter and it let some dust thru and smoked my rings so i replaced them and put the drz base gasket in it it runs fine it is .o20 thiner then the ltz gasket if you are going to do this job get a manual so you will know how to retime your cam chain also check the cam chain tenisoner if it has less than 2 clicks you might want to replace your cam chain good luck

allaboutHP
08-15-2004, 06:37 AM
i just had a hotcam intake cam and the drz base gaskets put in, but i have not had time to ride it to see what the power gains were, would anyone know what i should expect?

brif
08-15-2004, 10:01 AM
Most are good with the stock shims on the intake side(I was) although on the exhaust side you'll most likely need new shims(I did). Take your time use the service manual and it's easy good luck......