PDA

View Full Version : flattrack and TT riders I need your help~~~

QuadJunkies
07-26-2004, 12:13 PM
I am finding more and more that I may need to switch to a different set of HandleBars.........
These last two races I noticing when cornering, Im kiinking my left wrist ALOT and increasing my fatigue more......I aksed a local rider what he thought it might be and he said to ditch the bars that the Renthal ATV bend was not the bar I should be using and that the bend of the bar causes more bend in my wrist??? He demonsterated it and it made sense some...... I also notice that even with an LSR +1 its still too short shen standing and Im "hunched" over more and get lower back fatigure........

What would be a great bar for BOTH........?????? Do I need a wider or some kind of a straight bar VS a atv bend bar???? Ive reeally liked my bars but I guess they arent really serving any purpose for my riding anymore.... Also, could you post pics of any of the bars suggested?????thanks...;)

wilkin250r
07-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Now, you say you are kinking your left wrist. Is this while turning left?

The remedy would be a straighter set of handlebars, like a dirtbike bend rather than an ATV bend. But this also has drawbacks. Straighter bars are usually not as tall, and because they are straighter, they will bring you foward, creating even more problems for you when standing. You brought up two different problems, the solution to one makes the other worse.

I have a product in mind that may help, but I can't seem to find it on the web. I believe I saw it in Dirtwheels, and I'll try to find it this evening to give you some more info.

Tastykake Kid
07-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Are these what you were thinking about? These handlebars are adjustable.
http://www.trinityracing.com/products/misc/flexxbars.html
Pretty darn pricey. Most expensive bars I've yet to come across.
Good luck.
You may be able to get a better deal from one of the site sponsors. Personally, I'd check with C&D Racing.

wilkin250r
07-26-2004, 05:06 PM
No, the flex bars are good for vibration damping (so I've heard) but that's not the issue.

I'm thinking of special bar clamp, I think I've seen it in dirt wheels. It's taller, so it would add another inch or so, and it will swivel, so she can bring the bars back a little. Combine that with a dirt-bike bend handlebar I think would be the ticket.

Tastykake Kid
07-26-2004, 05:17 PM
10-4
but the Flexx bar does have an adjustable rise. Granted, it's probably not enough for your application.
I get that same "kink" in the wrist your talking about when racing flattrack. I figured it was just my awkward (or so I thought) riding style. I'll try to follow this post in case you come across something that works.
Good luck! :)

Oh ya, I too remember seeing that clamp in one of the popular rags within' the last 3 months or so. They tested it on a Yami 450. It allows you to move the entire clamp forward or backward and it raised it a good amount. I'll try to dig it up too.

xNOILABOYx
07-26-2004, 08:49 PM
i think ur talking about ROX riser, u can find them at ww.roxspeedfx.com thet let u ride wider bars and can give u a 2" rise at the same time

QuadJunkies
07-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Tastykake Kid
10-4
but the Flexx bar does have an adjustable rise. Granted, it's probably not enough for your application.
I get that same "kink" in the wrist your talking about when racing flattrack. I figured it was just my awkward (or so I thought) riding style. I'll try to follow this post in case you come across something that works.
Good luck! :)

Oh ya, I too remember seeing that clamp in one of the popular rags within' the last 3 months or so. They tested it on a Yami 450. It allows you to move the entire clamp forward or backward and it raised it a good amount. I'll try to dig it up too. WHEW... and here I as beginnning to think it was just ME!!!:o :p
Is the ROX riser spendy????? Ive bought a clamp from them for the PRedator before,but not sure if its the same thing or not....If you find a pic of the bar and clamp.PLEASE do post it...After this last wk end racing my wrist still is sore.....Thanks for everyones help.;)

QuadJunkies
07-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Now, you say you are kinking your left wrist. Is this while turning left?

The remedy would be a straighter set of handlebars, like a dirtbike bend rather than an ATV bend. But this also has drawbacks. Straighter bars are usually not as tall, and because they are straighter, they will bring you foward, creating even more problems for you when standing. You brought up two different problems, the solution to one makes the other worse.

I have a product in mind that may help, but I can't seem to find it on the web. I believe I saw it in Dirtwheels, and I'll try to find it this evening to give you some more info. yes.... in a left turn and tight cornering....;)

Chef
07-26-2004, 11:50 PM
I have this problem at times, but its only on the really small tracks, or when I am too far off the side of my bike. Sometimes its easier to just flip your hand over on the bars, like hold on to the left side backward. You dont need your clutch once you get moving anyway unless you are on a TT...if you are shifting on an oval change your gearing to stay in one gear, you will be faster.

QuadJunkies
07-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Chef
I have this problem at times, but its only on the really small tracks, or when I am too far off the side of my bike. Sometimes its easier to just flip your hand over on the bars, like hold on to the left side backward. You dont need your clutch once you get moving anyway unless you are on a TT...if you are shifting on an oval change your gearing to stay in one gear, you will be faster. I dont have to change gears on the corners so Im OK there........This is a smaller track, VERY TIGHT corners.... fast straight away, then short turns( I hate this track but its all we got for summer:grr: ) I didnt have as much on the wionter track,but I still had some and when Im riding anything else Im fine......BUT, the bars still seem too short when I stand still feel hunched over ,just trying to find something that might fit both needs with one bar w/o spending a ton of money (like the flew bar is ) I dont know if I should change the hand positioning since Im not use to it and wreck.....lol...But Ill give it a try on the next practice to see how it feels.....;) who knows...maybe it will work.......

Chef
07-27-2004, 12:15 AM
I'm sure you wont crash if you try it. I switched my hand in the middle of a corner on a short track on my 500 and had no problem-and it was wheelying out of hte corner.

xNOILABOYx
07-27-2004, 06:42 AM
Standard 7/8" handlebar
up to 2" Rise -- $69.95

Standard 7/8" handlebar
up to 3½" Rise -- $79.95

Large 1 1/8" handlebar
up to 2" Rise -- $69.95

Large 1 1/8" handlebar
up to 3½" Rise -- $79.95

i dont have a sever thing to upload the pics into but basicly in has 2 stud that go into ur normal clamp and then2 inches away from the studs u have another new clamp which is able to be ridden forward backward or hig in the middle due to the studs' position being adjusted on ur old clamp..... sounds confusing untill u got to the site and look at it

QuadJunkies
07-27-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by xNOILABOYx
Standard 7/8" handlebar
up to 2" Rise -- $69.95

Standard 7/8" handlebar
up to 3½" Rise -- $79.95

Large 1 1/8" handlebar
up to 2" Rise -- $69.95

Large 1 1/8" handlebar
up to 3½" Rise -- $79.95

i dont have a sever thing to upload the pics into but basicly in has 2 stud that go into ur normal clamp and then2 inches away from the studs u have another new clamp which is able to be ridden forward backward or hig in the middle due to the studs' position being adjusted on ur old clamp..... sounds confusing untill u got to the site and look at it Thanks!! Ill go and check it out!!!

dirtmomma
07-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Hey QJ I may be thinking the wrong thing but have you tried to adjust your bars forward & back @ all???? I had to move mine back some but I have short arms :rolleyes: I've rode some others & it seems they have thier bars way up towards the front way too much but they are bigger people too so I suppose that has something to do w/ it. I have to move Ron's back towards me also. Hope you get it figured out, I would be trying out some cheap bars till I found what worked ;) I'm running FLY bars ATV bend & I really like them, we used to run a mc bar on the blaster but it felt like I was laying down to reach them LOL
Well good luck girl :):) Did you post about your racing last weekend?? Guess I'll have to go check it out!!

QuadJunkies
07-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Hey QJ I may be thinking the wrong thing but have you tried to adjust your bars forward & back @ all???? Well good luck girl :):) Did you post about your racing last weekend?? Guess I'll have to go check it out!! YEs, I moved them towards me and it makes it even worse.......:( I woas told by my Daughters Sponsor to try a 250 Hi Bend??? Whats everyones thought on this???

And yes Kim~~~~ I did post about this past wk ends race...Just no pics.....Only one of my Boy Zonked out in the back seat of the truck......He done good racing this wk end!!!:blah: :macho

ozark450
07-27-2004, 12:12 PM
I have had good luck with the Yamaha lo rise mini bar for flat track. It doesn't do very well if I need to stand up but it's not real often that I stand all the way up in a flat track race. It's not as wide as the motorcycle bar, I had one of those but it was just too hard to reach the gas in the corners. I hope this helps a little...

James

QuadJunkies
07-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by ozark450
I have had good luck with the Yamaha lo rise mini bar for flat track. It doesn't do very well if I need to stand up but it's not real often that I stand all the way up in a flat track race. It's not as wide as the motorcycle bar, I had one of those but it was just too hard to reach the gas in the corners. I hope this helps a little...

James Hey thanks for the reply James,but you have the complete opposite of what Im looking for. I have long arms so a short ,low bar is not what I need;) I can get my bars really low if I want but they work better higher up,this tells me that Im needing a taller and /or wider bar IMO......

ozark450
07-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Not a problem I guess that explains a little more that you have long arms. I have short arms so it all make a little more sense

QuadJunkies
07-27-2004, 12:24 PM
So will I still be able to run a ROX riser if I have a +1 LSR with AntiVibe????:confused:

wilkin250r
07-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Here is the problem, it is indeed your handlebar bend. Forgive the crude drawings, I just want to illustrate your wrist position.

Let's exagerate the problem. Imagine your handlebars are REALLY swept back, so that your knuckles are pointed outward instead of foward.

wilkin250r
07-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Now, imagine you try to turn these handlebars. Look at your left wrist. It simply cannot bend that far.

wilkin250r
07-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Now look at a straighter set of handlebars. When you turn them, your wrist isn't bent quite as severely.

QuadJunkies
07-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Now look at a straighter set of handlebars. When you turn them, your wrist isn't bent quite as severely. Thats EXACTLY how my friend demonsterated it!!! I sometimes avtually even curl the left wrist in an "upward kink" with knuckles facing downward( if that makes any sense)with elbow dran in close to my sides I do that ALOT when tight cornering . Thats was very nice of you to draw the demo !!!;) I was begining to think I was just not positioning myslef riding..........

wilkin250r
07-27-2004, 12:47 PM
However, you also said that you have a problem standing up, that you are leaning too far forward and you're hunched over. A straighter set of handlebars will make that problem even worse, which is why I would recommend the Rox Riser. Not only would it bring your bars up, but you could also bring them back toward you, which would enable you to stand up straighter.

And just as James suggested, a narrow bar will also help because you don't need to reach as far to hold the throttle on a left turn.

I'm pretty sure you can use the Rox Riser with your +1 stem.

QuadJunkies
07-27-2004, 12:49 PM
However, you also said that you have a problem standing up, that you are leaning too far forward and you're hunched over. A straighter set of handlebars will make that problem even worse, which is why I would recommend the Rox Riser. Not only would it bring your bars up, but you could also bring them back toward you, which would enable you to stand up straighter.

And just as James suggested, a narrow bar will also help because you don't need to reach as far to hold the throttle on a left turn.

I'm pretty sure you can use the Rox Riser with your +1 stem. Ill give them a call.........;) So........... What bar should I get then???? OR ......should I just try the riser first with the Renthals?????

wilkin250r
07-27-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure exactly which bar you want, I haven't studied all of them and compare the different bends. You definitly want a "straighter" bend. Personally, I have a motorcycle bend on my 250r, fairly straight and not very tall. This causes problems standing up, but I am rarely standing on flattrack.

The riser will help with your standing hunched-over problem, but they won't help your wrist problem.

My advise would be to get some specs on different bends, but I don't know how much detail you can get. You may want to take your bars into a shop and physically compare them.

Give me a little time to research, I'll see what I can dig up for you on specs and different bars.

wilkin250r
07-27-2004, 01:21 PM
You might want to try a mini-bar, something designed for a little 80cc dirtbike. They have nearly the same rise, sweep, and height as other motocross bars, but are not as wide. The only problem I can see is making sure your clamp fits.