PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Help

RedRider300
04-02-2002, 06:11 PM
I just bought one of those Wal-Mart bike speedometers, and could use some help. The directions that came with it were for a bicycle, so they were of no use. I went to the trail tech site, and could barely read the directions there. I've searched on the website for it, and the pictures have been helpful in how to install. My question is, how do you figure out the tire size? If anyone could help me out, or give me the number they used in theirs, anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kadafiy
04-02-2002, 07:40 PM
How did you extend the wiring? I bought one of those from Walmart and thought I would buy the mounting stuff from trailtech but when I called they said that the one from Walmart wasn't the same as the atv one. It has some differences to make it last longer because of the vibrations. And that a different company made it for Walmart. Let me know what you did to mount it and any pics if you have them.

RedRider300
04-02-2002, 07:52 PM
Actually, i've yet to install it. Haven't had the time yet. I've read up, and seen some people bought one for bikes. So I figured i'd give it a try. And it was a lot cheaper. I read somewhere to use speaker wire, to extend it so it reaches. I don't know anything about wiring. I found that somewhere on the site. If anyone could, please help!

raptor eater
04-03-2002, 12:02 AM
to determine tire size you get on a flat surface, mark the tire sidewall and the gound w/ marking pen. roll the wheel until the mark on the tire completes one revolution and is back on the ground. mark the ground at this location. measure the distance between the marks on the ground and convert the measurement to mm. (multiply inches by 25.4). the average atv tire is 1676mm but i dont thinks its true because i used that size they gave me and its seems a little fast. i compared it with my buddies gps.still trying to dial it in though. i hope this helps

04-03-2002, 03:45 PM
The other way to get the setting is by properly inflating the tires leave it on the quad and measure from the ground to the top of the tire. Then convert the inches to mm (multiply by 25.4) then mutliply that by pie (3.14). Then imput that number into the computer.

RideRed04
04-03-2002, 04:18 PM
It is kinda hard to measure to the exact top of the tire though. You could also use a piece of string and go around the tire.