PDA

View Full Version : Jeff, santo or any other shock pro

Ralph
07-25-2004, 06:04 PM
K, i went riding today first time in along time after a series of injuries/inconviences and im still working with my shocks.

the rear bottoms a lil easy but not too bad and the compression is all the way up(hard), and seems pretty bouncy. the fronts arent bad but still want to set em up correctly.

Im running mx and had both front and rear setup for B- Mx. The rear is an elka stock rebuild and fronts are P.E.P zps shocks with the pro millenium revalve kit by santo derisi.

Im needing to know how much preload i should put on and how it should sit, like inches to ground from frame by foot pegs or wherever.

also if anybody has some suggestions on setting up your shocks or good methods please post them.

bradley300
07-25-2004, 07:30 PM
if they are ssd/zps style shocks, the preload should be set at 7.5 to 9 inches with you on the bike, so you'll have to sit on it and have a freind measure

boogiechile
07-26-2004, 07:32 AM
for mx you want to set the frame height on the low side of that range. about 7.5 in the rear and about a half inch higher in the frt. You can play around with the heigth a little to see what you like but always keep the frt of the frame about a half inch higher than the rear. some guys run as little as 6.75 in the rear for mx while others run 8 or more. as you go lower though you may have to up your compression or even use stiffer springs. like bradley said, measure with you on the quad.

bradley300
07-26-2004, 09:44 AM
woo hoo, i was right!:D

Ralph
07-26-2004, 10:31 AM
thx for the details boogie, so what points should i measure from? frame by the footpegs for rear and for the front?

boogiechile
07-26-2004, 12:38 PM
measure at the frt just before it starts to rake up. You need to make sure you are still on the flat part that is on the same plane as the rear. And yes measure the rear frame near the pegs. Take all measurements from the bottom of the frame rail itself.

Ralph
07-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by boogiechile
measure at the frt just before it starts to rake up. You need to make sure you are still on the flat part that is on the same plane as the rear. And yes measure the rear frame near the pegs. Take all measurements from the bottom of the frame rail itself.

no prob bog, ill do that maybe tommorow or the next day, if i have to buy stiffer springs im gonna be pist cause im realy not trusting this rear elka rebuild to be any good.

Santo DeRisi
07-27-2004, 11:06 PM
What everyone said about the frame height is a good rule of thumb. It is a personal preference so you may need to test with it some to get it right. If you have any questions you can call me at the shop and i will try to help you on the phone.

Ralph
07-28-2004, 10:00 AM
i got a question alot of people want to know, when are your shocks coming out? If this elke rebuild doesnt please me it will get sold and ill look for a whole new rear shock.

Im sick of spending money and not getting **** for it, your fronts are very pleasing but the 350 bones i put out for my elka rebuild isnt to pleasing. I dont feel a difference between it and the stocker, cept the stocker didnt even bottom that easy. and if it is blown like tommys after the first ride im asking for my money back....

My friend has a works rear shock not even setup for him never adjusted and works like a champ. And it was less than 350 and he sold his rear shock for like 100$

:mad:

Now im going out wasting my time taking off this rear shock to see if is blown....

Ralph
07-28-2004, 10:37 AM
i just took a look and when the quad is sitting there, the little spring ontop is compressed as much as the "crossover ring"(or whatver) stops it so when i stand on it the main spring compresses. and when its just sitting there i can only see about 2 inches of the shaft if not less.

if it sounds like im wining its cause i probably am, its early and im not in a good mood

muff
07-28-2004, 11:43 AM
the little spring is suppose to compress all the way. thats just how it is

you were talkin about the ride being to bouncy, turn your compression down. you want it on the faster side, but not so fast that its throwin you off the quad when you hit a bump

unless you keep tuning the suspension, its not going to get any better, not matter what shock you use, you still gotta adjust it

Ralph
07-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by muff
the little spring is suppose to compress all the way. thats just how it is

you were talkin about the ride being to bouncy, turn your compression down. you want it on the faster side, but not so fast that its throwin you off the quad when you hit a bump

i thinkg ur talking about the rebound right ? i have it down because i had it up and it bucked me off pretty bad. the compression is up because it bottoms easily, and i know the little spring is supposed to be compressed, but there is one of the spacers not letting it compress anymore.

so when i sit on it, the little spring doesnt compress but the big one does. wich seems like the main spring isnt very hard.

trust me ive done plenty of tuning

i should be going to our practice track pretty soon and that is the best place to do the adjusting