PDA

View Full Version : Oil Tank,Too close to the exhaust?

Alberta EX
08-29-2001, 01:08 AM
The oil tank on the front of the bike seems a little too close to the hot exhaust pipe for me, at work we have this silver reflective tape used to reflect heat from the heat tracing back into the process pipes,its just like the piece Honda puts on the inside of the fenders to protect the plastic from the hot muffler. It seemed like a pretty good idea to protect the oil tank from the excessive heat generated from the exhaust pipe, so I used this tape to reflect the heat away by placing a few strips on the oil tank where the exhaust pipe is closest. I noticed some aftermarket companies sell you a kit to re-locate the oil tank away from the exhaust, maybe this can be a cheaper fix?

mikeboone
09-01-2001, 09:44 PM
I am not a mechanic; but it looks like the oil has already been subjected to a much higher temperature inside the engine. I also read about a relocator for the oil tank to "move away from hot header pipes". That is the only time I have read though. I do not think you wasted your time, you had a good idea, but I dont really see the need. MB