View Full Version : What do you guys think?

Who knows
07-24-2004, 09:40 PM
I want to buy a YFZ 450. I can buy a new one from the dealership OTD for 7800 or I can buy a nice used but modded one from anywhere between from what I have seen in pappers and websites 7200 to around 9000 for what im looking for ( suspension setup and light motor mods) Is this a good idea ? My freind has a trx 450 and I was thinking about a modded one but ive read that even modded the YFZ is a better bike, I called K&K and asked about reliability of the engines since they tear them down alot and they said there both really good motors. Whatdya think?

yfz96racer
07-24-2004, 10:06 PM
if you what to race i would go yfz ifyou to play honda 450r cost more set up racing coming from somebody that love both machine:macho :macho

Who knows
07-25-2004, 04:56 AM
ive been riding quads for five years now and I wan an MX setup for the track and the dunes, Im not going to race, maybe a few local events.

Cripple
07-25-2004, 05:15 PM
the YFZ is better for MX and the dunes, after riding both the trx is more of a trail quads until you put money into it, while the yfz feels like a racer out of the box

Who knows
07-25-2004, 06:32 PM
what about modded YFZs to TRXs? I take it the YFZ has a better engine for fun power

MY450R
07-28-2004, 03:01 PM
NO THATS NOT TRUE EITHER
both quads produce around the same hp
the trx has more toque though
trx more low end
yfz needs to rev a little more to get all the power also higher redline than trx

Scottie Mac
07-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Fun is a relative term. Yes, the YFZ is much easier to get the motor "race ready" and much less expensive. With the typical mods (exhaust, cam mod, K&N, and gearing) the differnce in terms of torque are nominal. On the dyno, the TRX produces more torque, the YFZ produces more HP. On the track, the YFZs are generally quicker, that is a major reason why you see SO MANY of them at the races. In my district, YFZs rule. The TRXs I have ridden that were set up were very nice as well, just not as strong in the mid and top.

For the trails, the TRX motor is much more user friendly. It is smooth and with a simple sprocket change, it is very close to perfect. The only real downfall is the fact that it has no e-start. It kicks very easy new, but the older it gets, the harder it wil be. Riding CRFs taught me that. If you are a true trail rider, look at a Z. They have decent power, elec start and reverse. They are not the speed demons the TRX and YFZ are, but still a quality machine.

To be completely happy, try them both and make up your own mind.

Scott

cooper505
07-28-2004, 05:22 PM
I read in every atv mag that the YFZ has better power everywhere its just that the TRX is smoother, more mild(in its stock form). I think what I need is a YFZ with a +2 arms with elkas or axis, and keep the swingarm stock so its lightweight but put a +4 axle and elka or axis in the rear, with hiper carbon wheels and Kenda Knarly MXs. Light mods on the motor for reliability, Something I can take to the track and go big comfortably in the dunes to. I have a predator now, its a great bike but its just a little heavy,(and funny looking from the side).

Scottie Mac
07-28-2004, 05:37 PM
If you plan on doing MX, you might want to go ahead and replace the swinger while you are at it. The stock one has a perfect length, but will eventually break under normal to hard racing conditions. You could save some money and have your rear shock rebuilt to match your fronts. The rear shock is a very nice peice and really doesn't need to be replaced. Santo Derisi can rebuild and revalve yor stock rear for less than half of what a new Axis or Elka will cost.

Scott

redrider9045
08-02-2004, 04:01 PM
ok hold the yfz is not the better bike right off the bat ya it sits lower but wow who cares ive read both the yfz on a track its suspensions good but it dont rev quick or better said has poor acceleration i rode a 450r on a track and its perfect revs really quick and smooth not tipsie also it jumps perfect the yfz wanted to drop at the front end the only thing i like on the yfz is the the design of the fenders thats all the only bad thing about the 450r is its kickstart so if you stall it during a race you have to kickstart it really quickly but come on if you cant do that your a woosie my and my friend are 13 and 15 and we can kickstart it in 1-5 easily whatever you chose i think you will really like the honda

theyfctr
08-02-2004, 05:13 PM
well, the yfz is quicker no doubt.(stock)

Then again , does anyone leave them stock?

BlackYFZ450LES
08-05-2004, 12:40 AM
the 450R is an awesome bike, but in shootouts stock to stock, and equally modded, the YFZ wins, not by a huge margin but its just quicker, most people like the looks and riding position better, and of course the elec start, i just wish yamaha put the kick starter on stock AS WELL as the elec start, instead of selling it as a kit

Scottie Mac
08-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by redrider9045
ok hold the yfz is not the better bike right off the bat ya it sits lower but wow who cares ive read both the yfz on a track its suspensions good but it dont rev quick or better said has poor acceleration i rode a 450r on a track and its perfect revs really quick and smooth not tipsie also it jumps perfect the yfz wanted to drop at the front end the only thing i like on the yfz is the the design of the fenders thats all the only bad thing about the 450r is its kickstart so if you stall it during a race you have to kickstart it really quickly but come on if you cant do that your a woosie my and my friend are 13 and 15 and we can kickstart it in 1-5 easily whatever you chose i think you will really like the honda

OK, where do I start? I could have figured you were 13 before you even mentioned it.

YFZ revs slow? AHHHH, the YFZ has a faster Reving motor than the TRX, this is one of the reasons some people feel the YFZ has a "2 stroke feel" and it also revs a lot higher. Where the TRX motor makes great power over its rev range, its rev range is smaller. Riding a TRX, I love how it pulls on bottom, but, it feels like it runs out of power much quicker than an equally modded YFZ. One is not better than the other, just different ways to get the same results.

Jumping. Learn how to jump, it will do you wonders. It is pretty much accepted around the racing circuit that the YFZ has the closest to "race ready" chassis and handling of ANY quad ever produced by the big 3. The TRX can be made into a great MX'er as well, just takes more to do it. As for the "wheelie happy" nature of the TRX, I don't find this to be a problem, just a characteristic of the machine. BOTH will need a swingarm if you race MX, the YFZs will eventually break and the TRXs is too short from the factory.

Even though I don't put much credit into the mags (rags) it is funny that EVERY shoot out between the YFZ and TRX come up with the same outcome. The YFZ wins, modded or stock. They ALL pretty much say the TRX is a trail machine, the YFZ is a MX'er. Add enough money and either can be awesome on the trails or track.

ANYONE who is thinking of buying a YFZ or TRX should find a way to ride BOTH FIRST. There is soooooo much BS floating around from people who, half the time haven't even ridden both, that is is impossible to get an honest opinion about this or that. Make up your own mind, it is the only way a potential buyer will be happy in the long run.

Scott

08-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Here is a question I have: Iown a YFZ have ridden a 450r quite a bit LOVE both quads. MOST ( and the key word is most) people that I hear compare the to after riding them talks about how the yamaha has more torque. The thing about that is that every dyno report i have seen show the trz having more torque. That kinda just goes to show how close the bikes are in torque. and also shows the th more horse power and quicker reving over come that small difference. The honda FEELS slower but ever time we race them they are almost dead even. that is switching between 3 or 4 riders on testing it evey way we can. on some runs the trx would win on other the yfz would win according to who was on what quad!

BOTH VERY GOOD QUADS AND YOU WILL NOT GO WRONG WITH EITHER OF THEM.

BlackYFZ450LES
10-14-2004, 10:17 PM
sigh

MY450R
10-15-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by GNCCer
Here is a question I have: Iown a YFZ have ridden a 450r quite a bit LOVE both quads. MOST ( and the key word is most) people that I hear compare the to after riding them talks about how the yamaha has more torque. The thing about that is that every dyno report i have seen show the trz having more torque. That kinda just goes to show how close the bikes are in torque. and also shows the th more horse power and quicker reving over come that small difference. The honda FEELS slower but ever time we race them they are almost dead even. that is switching between 3 or 4 riders on testing it evey way we can. on some runs the trx would win on other the yfz would win according to who was on what quad!

BOTH VERY GOOD QUADS AND YOU WILL NOT GO WRONG WITH EITHER OF THEM.
i concour you are absolutly right