PDA

View Full Version : Piped 400ex Vs. stock Z

2001-400ex'er
07-24-2004, 07:34 PM
I am getting an HMF slip on and jetting it, does anyone think with this setup i can keep up or beat with my brothers z400 (stock) or will i still be eating his dust after $210 invested in my 400ex :(

theTman
07-24-2004, 07:38 PM
u will probobly win

khen
07-24-2004, 09:42 PM
My EX with a Megamax exhaust, powerbomb pipe, airbox lid drilled and rejetted carb beat a stock Z by a couple of bike lengths in a 300 or so foot drag. I imagine with the HMF exhaust and jetting you should be able to take the Z.

nakomis0
07-24-2004, 10:51 PM
I think ur still gonna lose:(

dudleydoright15
07-25-2004, 12:39 AM
if you put on header and slip on jet and intake you will get him but not by much.

I have a 04 Z400 with curtis sparks header and pipe full jet kit and needle and full K&N intake I am taking my friend who has a 400ex header and pipe only .

I am beating him by an 1/8 of a mile.

check on a rev box

Cole Trane
07-25-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
I think ur still gonna lose:(

That's honest!! You can beat a stock z400 with nothin, just depends on the riders.

Florida400EX
07-25-2004, 10:13 AM
You'll probaly win, but only until he gets a pipe. pipes really open up the power that Z's have.

allaboutHP
07-25-2004, 10:28 AM
i also think u will still lose, even if the riders are equal. the z will still rev faster than the 400ex. also, he is gonna still have more top end than you. the piped 400ex might take the stock z off the line though.

TC426EX
07-25-2004, 11:10 AM
I say youll win... Just gear your bike a little differently for top end. I beat a Z400 with my 400ex when all I used to have was a R4 slip on, K+N and no lid. It shouldnt be hard to beat the ****tiest bike ever made..(Z400)

sparks400
07-25-2004, 11:25 AM
the rider has alot to do with it, i can beat one of my friends that has a pipe a jet, and k&n, and then my other friend has a tottly stock z and he is neck and neck with me for some reason, but in the short drag i smoke him,

zoom400ex
07-25-2004, 01:25 PM
i beat a stock z400 and all i had was shaned fenders:o

H_W
07-25-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by dudleydoright15

You are not just beating him, you are destroying him. :D

whiteboarder
07-25-2004, 10:01 PM
it really depends on the driver and also how much he/she weighs. I can take my neighbor he is a much better driver but i way alot less then he does. he has a stock z400 and i have a 400ex with slip on and filter. i have also beaten a yfz 450 but the driver didnt know how to shift. its all in the driver not the bike.

EXtremeEXer50
07-25-2004, 10:20 PM
you will loose i have a yoshimura full comp exhuast and it is jetted at a 178 and i still loose to a stock Z.

440ex2001
07-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by dudleydoright15
if you put on header and slip on jet and intake you will get him but not by much.

I have a 04 Z400 with curtis sparks header and pipe full jet kit and needle and full K&N intake I am taking my friend who has a 400ex header and pipe only .

check on a rev box

Do u mean your beating him in the 1/8th. Do u know how much an 1/8th of a mile is? It would be hard to beat somebody by that much man I could believe upto 10 bike lengths but 1/8th of a mile?

Florida400EX
07-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by EXtremeEXer50
you will loose i have a yoshimura full comp exhuast and it is jetted at a 178 and i still loose to a stock Z.

You're jetted WAY WAY to rich, no matter where you live.

TCracin440ex
07-26-2004, 09:33 AM
dude i think drag racing some 1 proves nadda....of course the outcome will be the quicker bike will win....race him on a track...if his bike is stock...then you will beat him...i rode my friends z400 the other day and that z400 steers nothin like my EX...ill take a EX over that Z anyday of the week because my 400ex sits alot lower and it handles better

race him arround a track....i bet the 400ex will win....if you want a short drag race...get you some 18s for the rear dude ull eat him up thru the bottom until he comes back on top...

i dragged my 400ex vs my buddys z400....he has 20s i have 18s and i burned his *** up in about a 100yrd drag

and to make sure it wont the rider...we switched quads...and the 400ex prevailed once again

ReconRider25
07-26-2004, 09:55 AM
i got an '03 400ex with an hmf slip on, k&n w/outerwears, and a dynojet jet kit and im runnin 20" razr 2's and i beat all the stock z/kfx's and also ive beat a kfx with full yoshi system and he was running 20" holeshots. im jetted perfectly although the kfx with the yoshi full might be a lil rich......

04-KFX400
07-26-2004, 11:02 AM
This thread is cracking me up...everyone is talking about beating a stock Z with a modded ex...that just doesnt sound right. Shouldn't it be a race between stock quads or a race between modded quads? One reply talkes about the Z being the ****tiest bike ever made..(Z400)" .. but he wants to race a modded ex against a stock Z...so how can that be?

18" tires...pipes...smaller sprocket...filters....

All this to beat a "STOCK" Z ???

Try strapping a rocket engine to the ex if you want to make sure of the win against the "STOCK" Z

HAHAHAHA

atvracr350
07-26-2004, 11:29 AM
For all yall people who are ragging the 400ex vs. the z400 just because the 400ex has to be slightly modded to beat it think about this. The z400 is a brand new motor designed for a frame that was supposed to be as much like the 400ex's frame as possible because they know it handles the best. This engine also has two cams apposed to the 400ex's one. The piston is also a 11:1 compression piston compared to the 400ex's 9:1 piston. So when you take a stock 400ex and put in a standard bore 11:1 piston and maybe a better cam for more top end then yes the 400ex will probably be the same or better than the z400 when it comes to the engine stock vs stock. Hope this clears all this confusion up. And another thing yes you probably will beat him. I have a 400ex with a procircuit t4 slip on and a k&n filter and can beat a guy with a brand new kfx 400 stock every time by a couple of bike lengths.

TCracin440ex
07-26-2004, 12:04 PM
i dont honestly thing z400s stock comp ratio is 11:1 i think its 10:1 or 9...im not 100% on that tho...

umm yes and suzuki d*ck eated off honda w/ that frame...but too bad they sucked at it...if i was zuki id never d*ck eat again because u see what they got for it....broke and bent frames

another thing...my 400ex with pipe, k&n filter, rejetted, 18's, and rev box will take a z400 with the same thing done...cept hes got 20's

hes got a yoshi slip on, k&n filter, and rejetted

o ya atvracr350...the z400 dont handle like a 400ex....go ride 1 then come back and tell us how it rides....z400 feels like a raptor to me

Out_Sider
07-26-2004, 12:15 PM
tc426ex is an idiotic retard who thinks the stuf on his bike is the only way to go.. pretty damn ignorant if you ask me. he thinks the z400 is the chittiest bike ever made.. which is DEFINATLY not true.. he's just a brand loyal mother frucker. and i cant stand him.. and neither can Chanman.

PismoGuy400
07-26-2004, 12:19 PM
i never realized how much the rider made a difference until a couple months ago.. i can take just about any bike, ive had my way w/ raptors, z's(and their clones), v forces, 400s, and a 240 blaster.

honestly i havnt met someone that can beat me on the local track (at hollsiter).

the closest one was the blaster. it all depends on the rider.. i am not speaking for drag racing, and i am not trying to brag. its the truth.

i dont see why dragging matters... its simple if you can shift and drive in a strait line you can drag race. it poroves nothing except whose bike is faster, and more often then not we (at least i dont) dont want to try and prove me bike faster than anyone elses (unless its on a track) becasue i know it isnt.

if youre draqgging for fun then have at it, but its pointless to mod your bike to beat your brother cause he can pipe his and youll be stuck behind again.

sickmojave
07-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i dont honestly thing z400s stock comp ratio is 11:1

the stock Z Compression Ratio: 11.3:1 ;)

Quadzilla
07-26-2004, 01:28 PM
From my experience, a properly piped (a good full exhaust like a Sparks) and jetted (not too rich, not too lean) 400EX can beat a stock Z in a drag race. When I just had my Sparks X6 pipe properly jetted on my stock 400EX motor, I dragged raced 3 different Z's with 3 different riders.

2 of the Z were stock and I beat them everytime (not by much, maybe 3 or 4 bikes). The last Z was piped and jetted and he would get me by 2 bikes but he also weighed about 40 lbs more than me. Stock Z's respond better to pipes better than EX's do. So yes, a properly piped and jetted EX can beat an all stock Z but once he gets a pipe and jets, he will beat you. I ended up building my motor to the specs below and now I beat them all...:devil: :D

atvracr350
07-26-2004, 04:02 PM
tcracin440ex yes i have ridden a z400 and i never said they handled like a 400ex they are much worse and yes the compression ratio is 11:3:1 if you don't take my word for it then type in z400 compression ratio in the search menu and it should take you to something that will tell you that that is what it is.

TCracin440ex
07-26-2004, 05:48 PM
ok ill take ya word for it

but i kno 1 thing for sure.....this thread is a flame fest in progress

04-KFX400
07-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Every site I go to there is this brand loyalty. Brand loyalty is ok but can get carried away and can actually slow down product improvements.

I have owned Honda Off-road bikes for almost 30 years now, everything from my Ellsinore 125 to a CR500 and an XR600. But when I was in the sport quad market, I wanted quads for the family thing, I did a lot of research. I would have loved to get the 400EX but the research didn't support the EX. Bottom line is that today the Honda sport quad is an inferior product. It was tops in its time and that is why Suzuki copied many of the features. Companies copy all the time, it's the nature of the business. But right now the z400/KFX400 is superior. The water cooled engine allows for higher compression which allows for more horsepower. They improved on the ergonomics and updated the other features with newer technologies. This is what we want as a consumer. Competition in the market creates better products for all of us.

Someday Honda will get its act together and update their sport quad line. When that day comes the Honda will rein supreme again and Suzuki will need to best it but, for right now Honda is far behind in the sport quad market.

TC426EX
07-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Hey outsider I see you are another little member of the zit patrol opening your fat ****ing mouth. I dont give a **** about you or chanman you both are ***s. I dont just talk about the **** on my bike you dip**** I give honest opinions on everything I talk about. I talk about alot of companies. 2 things I AM brand loyal to are TC engines and PEP shocks and that is it... I dont make opinions with my nose in the air at others, just state my opinion. Am I supposed to cry now that you cant stand me? I mean who the **** are you anyway? Chanman? That dude is a ****ing joke and always has been. Notice that I never started with either of you, and you both came out against me for some reason. For the record, the Z400 IS the ****tiest bike ever made in my opinion because I have numerous friends that have had a combined year of downtime out of owning the bikes 2 years. Im not gonna bother listing all the problems they had again, I already did a while back, but I have a reason for that opinion and Ill state it, I dont give a **** about what you have to say about it. Again thats just MY opinion and what my particular experience with them is. Some people have Z's and KFX's and they love them and have minimal problems and thats great that theyre happy. I dont have a problem with anyone else on here and get PM's all the time from people with nothing but good things to say to me. I am just a bigtime atv enthusiast and racer like the majority of people on here and when I feel like I can contribute something to a thread I will so you can s*ck my d*ck. As far as me making posts about TC, the majority of them are reccomending a cam or a rev box which are proven to be some of the best out for the 400ex. I dont go around saying peoples stuff sucks if it wasnt built by TC or downplaying peoples mods whatsoever. I only try to help and make suggestions and they can take it how they want. I dont understand why you little ***gots have to start with me but oh well its not like I care about you. You said **** me so now its gotta be like **** you from my end. I would have never had a problem with you OR chanman if you didnt post derogatory remarks about me in threads first dousche bag... Maybe you and chanman should go have a circle jerk in the corner somewhere since you seem to be little buddies...

04-KFX400
07-26-2004, 07:27 PM
You tell'em TC. People get so out of control and off topic it's funny. Everyone who owns a quad purchased it for their own reasons and should be respected for that. Why some of these young'ins need to thrash people is beyond me.

400ex2072
07-26-2004, 07:39 PM
Yeah TC, keep 'em comin. I dont see why these guys flame you on here. You always do have honest advice to add and I have seen you talk about many other topics than TC or what you are running. You helped me with my gearing for example and I appreciate it. We all take pride in what we run that is why we buy what we buy. When you spend the kind of money we spend to build out bikes up you cant help but promote and be proud of what you are running, and Im sure everyone feels that way. You do just what I would do make suggestions to people. Thats why multiple people post on a thread so you get multiple opinions. Of course the things you have the most experience with are the things youre gonna reccomend, plus if you race or ride alot with others you hear other peoples experiences and opinions. Its really not a hard concept to grasp. Chanman and Outsider are way out of line and I will agree with you that they started with you first. You 2 are a couple little kids and this isnt the first time you have started with TC and a couple others on here. I come on here and read mainly just for information but I felt I had to post now since I myself was getting mad reading the thread. TC had every right to come back at you guys and the majority of people on this site are probably on his side. See, now Im starting to get like TC and make novels for posts but I had to get all that out, I only have 6 posts and Ive been holding back!!

07-26-2004, 08:58 PM
2 of my buddies have the same set up stock z stock kfx and a 400ex with hmf slipon and k&n and the ex beats them by 2 ,to 3 lengths

get a 416 with cam if u have the money mine outruns a hmf full system pipe, k&n air box and jetted Z by 5 or 6 length!!

nakomis0
07-27-2004, 08:29 AM
I think Tc does post alot. 830 post in 3 months, hell I been here for over 3yrs and only have 1900 posts. Thats would be like 9000+ posts in 3 yrs....

And I've heard a ton of times how TC is the best engine yada yada yada. Also about his 'alleged' 48hp. Better get that dyno calibrated.

but anyways, thats all I gotta say and you'll never hear of me speak about it again.:)

And what I was gonna post in this tread about was... to KFX

the Z/Kfx are they still the top dogs? I thought Honda was on top with the new R? Its in the top 2 anyways, right with Yamahas 450.

In my opinion the Z/Kfx are the top recreational quads, because they have reverse. But race wise the 450R and Yfz450 are superior.

04-KFX400
07-27-2004, 11:03 AM
I agree that the 450R and the YFZ are the top dogs. They're a different class of quad, but you hit it right on the head, the EX/Z/KFX are recreational quads.

allaboutHP
07-27-2004, 02:38 PM
i guess u guys should go tell doug gust that he is winning with a recreational quad against the race quads.

Rebelrider4OOex
07-27-2004, 02:47 PM
i have an 04 400e with hmf bill ballnce pipe jets and k&n airfilter and my nieghtbor as a bonestock 04z400 and im alot better rider and he gets me off the line and its stays even and then once we are both toped out i just make my way past him usally but if i get the jump on him then i can almost always hold it off but those z's are quick even tho i dont like to admit it:grr: