PDA

View Full Version : cam timing question

hippy440
04-02-2002, 04:26 PM
i just installed a 440 kit , i installed the thinest base and head gasket that cometic sells i also had the cylinder decked .030 and i already had a sparks advance key. when i went to put the xr cam in the two marks on the gear wouldnt come close to lining up with the top of the head the left mark was below the head ,then if i moved it one tooth the other way the right mark was below the head , i know this is because of the thin gaskets and decking the cylinder. my ? is which way should i put it for the most power left mark below or right mark below? i know this is a really long question sorry:confused: :confused:

Leo
04-02-2002, 06:21 PM
to advance the cam, or to retard the cam... hmm...

what I would do is get an adjustable sprocket ( I believe XR's only carries them http://www.xrsonly.com ) and get the camshaft setup where it supposed to be..

I would also make sure to check the piston / valve clearance... :D

Leo

MIKE400EX
04-02-2002, 07:17 PM
The reason why your cam sprocket marks are off is because you have an advance key installed. The timing marks are lined up but that means that really the crankshaft is retarded 6 degrees (or is really before TDC). 6 degrees at the outside of the flywheel is about .25", rotate your flywheel about that much more (CCW)and then you'll be able to line up the cam sprocket marks w/the head surface. Either that or you are completely confused now! Hope this helps!

Leo
04-02-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by MIKE400EX
The reason why your cam sprocket marks are off is because you have an advance key installed

doh! completely skipped over the sparks advance key part of his post....!

good catch mike!

Leo

04-02-2002, 10:14 PM
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! But I just did the same thing a few days ago and I have the advance key and short deck ht. also. After messing with it for a couple minutes I stepped back and realized that I didn't put the top mark on the gear UP. It all fell into place as soon as I rotated the cam gear 180 deg.
Hope it's that simple. :D