PDA

View Full Version : Need a little jetting help....

plkmonster2
07-23-2004, 09:08 PM
I went down to sand Lake for a few days during the past week. The elevation was about 1500 ft lower than my house. It wasn't much of a change, so I thought why should I bother with the jetting? I get down there, and notice anice bog around the midrange. At my house, it isn't noticeable. I've got a dynojet kit, K&N Filter, and a MegaMax pipe. The dynojet jet is a 155. No other mods to the bike, no holes, or no lid off. I let a few people ride it, and they all said it was lean. I might go try a 160, but why should it have to be that huge of a jet? Isn't that like a 165 Keihin jet? That is big.... If you keep the bike revved, it seems fine, but if you do a steep hill climb in 3rd, as soon as the motor lugs down, if will sputter like it has no fuel... And yet it still runs great at my house. Anyone have any tips? I mostly ride in 50-70 degree weather, and probably 0-2000 ft. Thanks everyone.

cals400ex
07-23-2004, 11:46 PM
that sounds weird. when dropping elevation, you would need to increase the size of your jets. however, most people i talk to who run dynojets with a pipe and filter run around a 146 or the next size larger in the kit. i am not sure what to tell you. i really don't think the mainjet is too small.

plkmonster2
07-23-2004, 11:48 PM
Ok, I started to dink around with it tonight. It turns out that the MegaMax pipe that was on it was jimmied on. I think it was almost too small. I had little top end, so I stuck a stock pipe on it. Ran it around. Seemed okay was too rich, I could tell it was lagging in the low to mid, and then nwould hit top and scream. I took my dynojet kit out, and got my 146 jet. Took the cap off, screwed it in, tried to start it, and then it died, oops, I turned the choke on getting the jet out. Okay, now that its off, I hit the starter. It fires right up. Click it in first, and let the clutch go real quick with a jab of gas. Whoa! It had some great low end! Took it down the road, going through the gears faster than I ever had. The top end was even better, and that dreaded mid range gag is gone! It runs great now, just hope it will do good up at Sand Lake next time. I still have to change the floats out (Mine is a 99, and the floats are an old design. They leak when going up a hill, or pulling a wheelie. We got a new float for the 2000 400, and it never has done it again.)

plkmonster2
07-23-2004, 11:51 PM
Thanks Cals400ex, I think I got it figured out now. I was typing my reply, just as I got an email notification that someone replied. Yup the 146 did the trick. Hopefully Tomorrow I can go and drag race my uncle's stock 400ex. He says mine pulls harder, and I want to see how much, lol.:devil: :blah: