PDA

View Full Version : I need some advise about airbox mods

DTRAIN
04-02-2002, 04:02 PM
I've got an 88 250x It is pretty much stock, but it has just been rebuilt. I just ordered a Pro Circuit T-4 exhaust and I already have an after market foam filter. I am going to re jet when I install the exhaust. My question is should I mess around with airbox modifications ie. vents or no lid at all. I would really rather not. Ive read many negative things about the outerwares cover and the filter vents, plus I would rather not be bothered by doing this.... BUT......If it is a noticeable worth while difference, than I think I will have to do this. The conditions I ride in are trails through the woods, and some dusty fire roads/railroad tracks, the occassional stream crossing(never deeper than the tires). Also I am just a recreational rider, who hill climbs, jumps, just about a little bit of everything. I guess my question is Can I leave the air box lid on an still notice sizable gains, or must I also remove the the air box lid to really feel the power of my new exhaust.

nakomis0
04-02-2002, 04:09 PM
Do this.. Remove the lid.

These guys tell ya to cut holes in ur ****z, but it isn't worth it. Ya run with no lid and you will feel a noticable gain. Then when its rainy, or wet out, or your goin mudd'in, put that sucker back on.

Trust me I had holes and lawnmower filters, and outerwares..ect, ect. on my Blaster air box lid. 90% of the time I still ran with no lid. And when it rained i was S.O.L.

..2 cents..

nakomis0
04-02-2002, 04:11 PM
ps. To me it seeems foam filters get dirty real quick. So ya might wanna just keep your lid on....

DTRAIN
04-02-2002, 07:39 PM
I 'd like to hear more advice. Anyone elso start off with the lid with a new exhaust, than take it off. If so was there any difference? Thanks ahead of time

04-02-2002, 09:12 PM
DTRAIN:
I am not familiar with a 250x, but here is my experience with a 400ex. I have the T-4 exhaust. I rejetted with the airbox lid off. There is quite a difference between the airbox lid on and off. Remember, you need gas, air and exhaust. Getting 2 out of 3 is not effective.

Now, I found that my K&N air filter was getting wet through creek crossings and when I hosed off the bike. My solution was to use the lid, but put six 1-inch holes in the back part of the lid, farthest away from the filter (no stupid filters that I would plug up in 10 minutes). I also removed the drain plug on the bottom! Now any splashing water simply runs in the air box and out the bottom.

I have found that my jetting with the modified airbox lid on works just fine as with no airbox lid. In fact, and I'm not sure if it is due to more accurate jetting or better columnated air, but the bike runs just a little better with the modified lid than with no lid.

DTRAIN
04-03-2002, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the advice, that was what I was hoping to hear. An easy modification, without messing with those dumb filters, and with out leaving my airbox totally unprotected.

spliffy
04-03-2002, 07:05 AM
I Also Have A 88 250x & I Drilled Out 5- 1" Holes In The Back Side Of The Filter Box & Couple Smaller 3/8" Holes In The Top Of The Lid & Took Out The Drain Hose At The Bottom.... Seemed To Work Well For Me, I Get A Little Water In There But It Just Drains Right Out, My Buddy Has A 91 250 & He Plans On Doing The Same After He Approved Mine (I'm the guinney pig i guess)

nakomis0
04-03-2002, 03:03 PM
So what do you guys with holes in your airbox do when you ride in mud?

You don't ride in mud? Or maybe you just let the mud go through the drain hole? Maybe you duck tape the holes?

Maybe I'm just a hillbilly, and I ride in above average deep, mud and water.
I know some of the creeks and holes we ride in around here.. and I could not imagine running through these with any type of holes in my airbox. Do you guys girlie ride? like go around the water holes?lol jk , Maybe I'm a wimp about getting water in my engine, prolly just evaporates anyways right?

04-03-2002, 03:12 PM
well, i for one avoid mud, or get my dads wheeler out, mine isnt a mud eater, but, if water and stuff gets in engine, it can kill it quick.

gojk
04-03-2002, 03:36 PM
I live in AZ and we don't get to see much water so it isn't much of a concern for me.

04-03-2002, 03:41 PM
i got 6 1 inch holes in my airbox and i am wishing i wouldent have done it. You can keep the lid off when u regular ride( i have a kn with an outter wares) and when u mud put the lid back on. oo and when u sand all u people ith holes in ur lid tape em up and stick a nylone (the tinkgs girls wear on their legs) over the air filter. it will keep the sand out better than the outter wares. that is what i herd from a pro. i will do it when i got to silver lake.