View Full Version : what do you think of klaws?

cals400ex
07-23-2004, 04:20 PM
i am getting some new tires and looking at klaws. i will not be getting mx's, but the 20x11x9 instead. however, i am having a hard time finding out how much these weigh? how do they compare to itp xc's, xcr's, raxors, in weight? also, how is the ride? as you can see, i am looking for a light tire that rides smooth and has decent wearing characteristics. thanks

TC426EX
07-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Get some 4 ply razr's. They wear great and are not as heavy as the 6 plys or the razr 2's...

cals400ex
07-23-2004, 05:58 PM
i thought about that. however, the razors dont' seem to ride as smooth as my buddies holeshots xc's. i currently have 4 ply shredders and they ride much worse than the 6 ply xc's. i think the razors and shredders are made by the same similar company or something. those tires are just made differently than the holeshots. i want the side wall to flex more like they do on the holeshots. i know your a big razor fan, but i don't think i want those. one of my buddies has those too and they seem stiff just like my shredders. thanks for the suggestion though.

JRDrider22
07-23-2004, 06:01 PM
turf tamers last the longest and are good in all condo.

Tommy 17
07-23-2004, 06:16 PM
i just got a set of klaws and u won't ever see another tires on my quad...

i have the 20x11x9 xcrs and they hook up way better then my friends razrs, they are taller then razors by a lil bit so u get that extra ground clearance, they are cheaper, they def slide better also, and u can turn them around for soft or hard dirt..

once u go klaws u won't run anything else... i've owned holeshot xcs and turf tamers, rode tons of razors and they don't even compare...

Chino
07-23-2004, 06:28 PM
nothing compares to a brand new set of holeshots :D

JRDrider22
07-23-2004, 07:12 PM
yea that are slicks with 3 races and 5 practices

cals400ex
07-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
i just got a set of klaws and u won't ever see another tires on my quad...

i have the 20x11x9 xcrs and they hook up way better then my friends razrs, they are taller then razors by a lil bit so u get that extra ground clearance, they are cheaper, they def slide better also, and u can turn them around for soft or hard dirt..

once u go klaws u won't run anything else... i've owned holeshot xcs and turf tamers, rode tons of razors and they don't even compare...

thanks for the help everyone. see, for the riding i do traction isn't a concern. how did these ride compared to the other tires? what about the weight? i took one of my stock rims with a rear shredder tire on it and weighed it. it came out to be exactly 20 lbs. i know the scales may vary a bit. this was a 20x11x9 inch tire. from reading the weights on tires, i haven't found one lighter than the shredder besides the stockers and the tamer are probably lighter too. once again, i mainly drag race. i know the klaw in 18's are among the heaviest mx tires out there. i just don't want added weight.

thanks everyone, more suggestions would be great.

INFANTRY RACING
07-23-2004, 07:51 PM
i have the mx versions and they are very smooth tires. i am sure you'll be happy with them.

redroost85
07-23-2004, 08:19 PM
The Klaws sure have caught on around here Cal. Both the 18's and 20's. I have never ridden on a set, but some guys say that is the only tire for them.

I know that I've gotten beat by some fellas on Klaws at the tracks..:o well, if ya can't beat'em, join'em, lol!:D

pnut420
07-23-2004, 09:33 PM
I would say if you compare Holeshot to Klaws, these both are very good tires, the Klaws seem to get better wear than the holeshot. I personally am running Klaw MX on the front and holeshot MXR rears and the combo is awesome, on loose dirt and regualr pack the klaws are awesome, but when running them in the mud they tend to clog up. The holeshot rears just keep digging until they find something to work, but $ for $ and better wear the Klaws are awesome

daimon1054
07-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by JRDrider22

Turf tamers last longer??? If you love flats and hand grooving them they work well but long lasting was never a trait.

The Klaws are awsome tires.

JOEX
07-23-2004, 11:12 PM
20x11-9 xcr 6 plyR on stock rims are about 19-20# on the bathroom scale:p

I've only ridden on mine at a couple different locations. On our 'personal' track they seemed very predictable. At a 'real' track they seemed to hook up a bit too much, not having the front end come up but more of the inside tires coming up. I'm sure alot of that had to do with the rider:o :p

cals400ex
07-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
20x11-9 xcr 6 plyR on stock rims are about 19-20# on the bathroom scale:p

I've only ridden on mine at a couple different locations. On our 'personal' track they seemed very predictable. At a 'real' track they seemed to hook up a bit too much, not having the front end come up but more of the inside tires coming up. I'm sure alot of that had to do with the rider:o :p

thanks, i was hoping for a weight. i realize your scale might not be the most accurate either. i was only using a bathroom scale too. :p

i think i will just order these and see. i know these tires you can flip around for moist or dry track conditions. do they wear differently when swapped around? i am actually only interested in dry conditions, but how do they mount for dry and which way do they mount for wet?? i have a feeling i know by looking at the tires, but i just want to make sure.

Florida400EX
07-24-2004, 05:50 PM
While facing your handlebars, the tread pattern will go < for hardpack, and for soft the tread will aim like this >

JOEX
07-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
thanks, i was hoping for a weight. i realize your scale might not be the most accurate either. i was only using a bathroom scale too. :p

i think i will just order these and see. i know these tires you can flip around for moist or dry track conditions. do they wear differently when swapped around? i am actually only interested in dry conditions, but how do they mount for dry and which way do they mount for wet?? i have a feeling i know by looking at the tires, but i just want to make sure.
There are arrows on the sidewall and 'hard' & 'soft' is printed on there too;)

TC426EX
07-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by JRDrider22

You gotta be kidding me... I love grooved turf tamers for MX but they DO NOT last. I would say they burn up almost as fast as the holeshots. Holeshots are the worst though. Ive run all these tires but the klaws and the holeshots are the absolute worst for wear. One of my friends tried those MXR4's and those are getting chewed up bad too...

cals400ex
07-24-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
While facing your handlebars, the tread pattern will go < for hardpack, and for soft the tread will aim like this >

that is exactly what i thought. because the middle "tractor style" tread would be digging most for wet terrain.

would the wear or ride be differently if they were swapped around? i actually figured they would hook the best in both wet and dry conditions when the tires are put on for "wet" conditions.

thanks for the help everyone. by the way, i have considered tamers. however, i do some road riding and i figured they would burn off too quick. however, the 2 ply side walls are enough for me. this is why i am having a tough time getting 6 ply tires.

AC 400 ex 02
07-25-2004, 08:53 PM
i love my klaws, probably wont see another tire on there unless its a razr mx, they hook up so nice and the slide predictably, btw anyone that runs razrs mx's, how do those do?

Fuchs42
07-26-2004, 01:08 AM
I love klaws, I will never run another tire. I do mx and they slide so nice you almost never spin out they grip and slide so well. They have unbelieveable hook up power too. I've ran Holeshots, tamers, etc those tires are for certain conditions..... Holeshots are for the tacky stuff and tamers work good when it is dry out....

you can switch around the klaws for wet or hard pack.

get the klaws.... they are awsome