PDA

View Full Version : Question, for elka and work shocks..

400exBro
04-02-2002, 03:30 PM
I am getting a pair of shocks in 2 weeks (hopefully) and probably will get works. But i looked at the elkas listed on Qaud shops page and they are a lot more money than the works. Any who the question is on the works is it worth it to get the threaded preload adjusment, i see that elkas come with them on there already, do they really play a big difference, can i set how much preload( ex, if i go mx i want zero prelaod or ssd) can i achieve this which this adjustment...............................
You probably all saying that y not by elkas right away, well first, i don t have 750 dollars to spend because for me in canada that is overe 1000, all i want is a shock that will take big jumps and handle better, so works are good shocks and all but if i had more money i would get elkas.
thanks
Bro

T-R-X
04-02-2002, 03:48 PM
I had Works triple rates, with adj preload,(threaded preload) They were nice, made it really easy to adjust how stiff/ soft you want it. They really didnt do much for ride height(i had stock a-arms at the time) with +2 it might sit a little lower. I did get through one race season with them(they wroked fine, just didnt sit that low. But if your just racing occasionally, jumping, trails, they are great.
You can always get them upgeaded to a zps style shock- i think tcs does that modification?

Holty
04-02-2002, 07:29 PM
you can get Elka Triple rate shocks without rezzies if you want. they are only around $500 instead of $750. That's the setup I got along with +1 Houser A-arms. Although, my stuff hasn't come yet, I think it will do the job well.

Foxrage
04-02-2002, 07:53 PM
You can always up grade with rezzies later and they will be better than works. even without rezzies.

04-02-2002, 09:52 PM
They both suck.

Get PEP. Worth the money

mopar 400
04-03-2002, 01:53 AM
I have the Works tripple rates, with ressies, and they work great. If you are a weekend warrior, who likes to ride harderthan the average person, then they wor great. If you are out to race mx, then go for the Elkas. If money is an issue, The Works are the way to go.... Just my .02.

kabd69667
04-03-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by 400exracer
They both suck.

Get PEP. Worth the money
Ok, you've deffinetly never rode a quad with Elka's. For somone that wants the ssd or zps feature without spending $900 like from pep or tcs, go elka. You can get a set for $550. I don't think you'll find a better deal anywhere. I personally would rather have elka's over pep. Elka has better service, prices and i think the quality is just as good. Elka isn't known yet. Their rear conversion is one of or the best in the business. And one more thing, don't go around bad mouthing a company when you don't know **** about them

trx400ex
04-03-2002, 03:35 PM
tell him

i would go with the elkas without rezzies, then in a year or so send them in to get rebuilt, if you get works, you will end up replacing them after a while

400exBro
04-03-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
, if you get works, you will end up replacing them after a while

Why do you say that??? a lot of people on here run works and seem to love them and have no problems with them..
I am just a weekend warrior and maybe a b or c class mx racer. i feel that they will hold just great for me.
Bro

alos can any one give a good site where i can compare the two shocks and compare prices etc.. money is sort of a thing, i want to get a wider axle and a arms and some other stuff too

04-03-2002, 05:02 PM
The Elkas are nothing compared to PEP. Watch how many GNC and GNCC riders have them and would recommend them. I dont see any of them with crappy works or Elkas.

kabd69667
04-03-2002, 05:11 PM
So? they're sponsered by pep....and if your sponsered by a company your not going to bad mouth them. And if you can read in my last post, ELKA IS A NEW COMPANY AND IS NOT KNOWN YET Do you think pep is better than axis? I'm guessing no, but elka is using the same materials as axis for a cheaper price. Why do you think elka is nothing compared to pep? You've more than likely never rode a quad with either of them. 4 or 5 months ago, only a couple of people had elka shocks, including me. Read some of the threads regaurding elka's. I've seen several people decide to get elka shocks in the last few weeks. Just to name a few, WarriorMan, Nausty, and i think Nacs400ex. This year you'll see riders supporting elka, i gaurentee it

400exBro
04-03-2002, 05:11 PM
Guy i highly doubt many of use on here are pros not trying to flame either but they are a lot of money and they take a long time to get here, i do agree that they are the best shocks you can buy but they are a lot 900$ i think for zps.
I don't have that kind of money dude, i have to pay for school soon and other stuff like my CBR 600 or 945 i am getting soon and those aren't cheap either.
Bro

kabd69667
04-03-2002, 05:12 PM
Oh and 400exbro, go to the quadshop site and look at the elka shocks, they have a comparison chart with some other shock companies

trx400ex
04-04-2002, 03:49 PM
im saying after a year or maybe even two, you will want more performance, not all people do, but if your young and plan on going into motocross for a while, thats the best thing to invest on... i personally think pep is the best

400exBro
04-04-2002, 04:04 PM
Yes you do have a good point there, but by then i can sell the works to by buddies that run stockers and then buy peps but i highly doubt it, works are a good company i think that they are great shocks for their price. i'll see what the future holds in store for me, i never now i might have to sell the 400 and buy my bike probably a cbr 600 or 929. but that will not happen in 100 years, even if some one paid double the money what it was worth.
But as far as breaking done the shocks won't snap or anything will they??

Well thanks for your help
lata
Bro

Pepto_Bismol
04-04-2002, 05:51 PM
I have the Elkas and I think they are great. I am getting a new rear in about 1 week so I'll have Elkas all around. Alot of amature racers around here are getting Elkas becuase of the fast turn-around and great customer service. They are real great guys. However, if funds are tight, I have heard plenty of good things about Works too. Especially for weekend warrior type of riding. There are actually alot of desert riders who have works shocks out here and they really like them. Too many poeple on this forum only rely on "what the pros" use, and cannot offer opinions based off any personal experience which is too bad. Like kabd69667 said, they get sponsored, and that's how the companies sell there product. As far as pro's go, Chad Duvall is now going to run Elka suspension this year, becuase they are his new sponsor. So I'll put down money that Elka will be quick to rise into the spotlight for there line of ATV shocks. Remember, they have been one of the top manufacturers of snowmobile shocks for quite some time. Anyway, good luck, in my opinion, get what you think you can afford and be comfortable with!
Pepto :cool:

400exBro
04-05-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Pepto_Bismol
I have the Elkas and I think they are great. I am getting a new rear in about 1 week so I'll have Elkas all around. Alot of amature racers around here are getting Elkas becuase of the fast turn-around and great customer service. They are real great guys. However, if funds are tight, I have heard plenty of good things about Works too. Especially for weekend warrior type of riding. There are actually alot of desert riders who have works shocks out here and they really like them. Too many poeple on this forum only rely on "what the pros" use, and cannot offer opinions based off any personal experience which is too bad. Like kabd69667 said, they get sponsored, and that's how the companies sell there product. As far as pro's go, Chad Duvall is now going to run Elka suspension this year, becuase they are his new sponsor. So I'll put down money that Elka will be quick to rise into the spotlight for there line of ATV shocks. Remember, they have been one of the top manufacturers of snowmobile shocks for quite some time. Anyway, good luck, in my opinion, get what you think you can afford and be comfortable with!
Pepto :cool:

That is the same way i feel about it, yes i will be doing some hard core jumping and a little racing.
I feel a lot of people buy those shocks that pros other people have becuse they want to be like the rest, i don't mind that but they buy shocks that are not even suited for them and wasted a lot of money where they could of saved up for other stuff as well.
I am not refering to anyone out there reading this but people where i race think that "ow that guys has nos i think i'll get, ow he wears a pink jersey i need one of those" etc..
just 0.2 cent
Bro

indygncc
04-06-2002, 03:53 PM
I used to run Triple Rate works w/ cans, got a sponsorship through Elka they set me up some shocks for GNCC w/ out cans because I run the stock class. They are worlds better than the works with cans. I would say that Elka is one of the premier company's next to AXIS. PEP also a very good brand. Elka will be up there with them in a few years

yellowex01
04-06-2002, 08:50 PM
I just sold my works for elkas. What a difference. I would rather have stock shocks over works.. I bottomed them out on every ride. These elkas I dont even feel the bumps... I ordered mine through cdracing and had them at my door in 7 days...... Sorry Quad shop but I tried calling you guys for 4 days and all it did was ring no answering machine or anything. Or I would of probably of went with you... Go with the elkas....

cdalejef
04-06-2002, 09:01 PM
Are you sure you got the right number? When we aren't there the answering machine pics up, when we have both lines tied up the fax machine pics up. Our ours are noon till 7:00 est.

04-08-2002, 01:32 AM
I've been riding my new elkas for spot on one month now. I dunno how long these pro MX races last, and I'm no pro by any means, but when I go on a ride, I'm out for an average of 5 to 6 hours, and probably take two breaks in that time period. I am a big guy and I ride hammer-down-balls-to-the-wall-hair-on-fire-animal-style. I breathe dirt and ***** rocks. I beat the **** out of my bike and of certainly my suspension. And of course, I crash like I'm getting paid for it. I can't give you statistics or comparisons of the top 5 shock manufacturers, but I can tell you that my 400EX rides like a new Cadillac and the feeling doesn't fade by the time I get home. I'm every bit of 100% delighted and tickled-freakin-pink with my choice.

Elka was there when I needed them, and PEP put me on hold. So PEP if you want, but I ride on Elkas.

two_baaalls
04-08-2002, 09:04 AM
I've had the works triples for 2 years now, I would have replaced them last year if I had the money, I hate these shocks. I'm sure they needed to be rebuilt 6 months after I bought them, I'm just a weekend warrior also. I keep them protected with outerwears, but they still jam up. I've take the springs off many times to clean and polish the bodies and rings to keep them freed up, but that gets real old. One ride the shocks got so hot the plastic outer bushings in the bottom eye melted. (Quads on Rocks ride)

Sorry Works.... you gotta go.

PsychoDave
04-08-2002, 11:10 AM
fat boy...you are great....i think i am gonna steal your line of:I ride hammer-down-balls-to-the-wall-hair-on-fire-animal-style. I breathe dirt and ***** rocks....... i too ordered the elkas.....i like EVERYTHING i hear about them....i am so anal about my purchases ....elka seemed to be the best for the money and service!!!!

Texan32
04-08-2002, 12:11 PM
I too am in the market for some good shocks. Right now I am pretty much a weekend warrior. If i were to go with the Elka's with out rezz's, what does it take to add them later? Who here truely feels that Elka's w/o rezz's is BETTER than Works triple with rezz's? Also, how much is it to have Elka redo the stock rear shock? Are the Elka's comp/rebound adjustable if you don't get the rezz's?

harebounder
04-08-2002, 02:00 PM
I have elka triple rate zero preloads up front. I have Elka zps on the back. I run B-class in hare scrambles. I have not had any other aftermarket shocks, but i did alot of research before i purchased shocks. I paid 820 for my fronts and 685 for my back fronts are comp. adjust only. Rear is both comp. and rebound. Works put plastic spacers between the springs they have a tendancy to break and have to be replaced. Elka ships theirs with metal spacers on request they will put plastic in. Most the people on this page back up works because that is the shock they could afford or it is the only shock they have had. Elka has been making shocks for snowcross for seven years now and been into atv for 2 yrs. They worked with bombardier. They sponsor Chad Duvall in the gncc. I have not read where a big name rider is running works shocks or is sponsored by them. I have rode my buddys banshee with works steelers up front and i thought they performed well for aggressive trail riding. If you are making and investment into racing make the investment. If you making an investment in a better trail performance than make that. It also only took two weeks for me to get my shocks unlike when i called several places about peps and tcs when the quickest was 4-6 weeks. If you want to find out about shocks call companys that sell all of them. Works are better than stock. For the money you will be happy but why pay 500 and not be happy when down the road you will have to spend 800 later. 500 and 800 is what 1300. Eventually you will spend the money why not do it right the first time. I ordered my shocks right through elka.

400exBro
04-08-2002, 03:36 PM
See i don't know how long i will still be riding for, in a couple of years i might sell it and either get a better if honda makes one or get a street bike i don't know yet.
Plus i don't jump anything bigger than 40 feet yet:D so the stockers still hold up, until i land wrong, i might race a c class or b and the trackers here are not that big, or at least the one i go to.(there are bigger better ones but they only allow quads on a certain date) All i need is something better than stock with in a good price range which is works.
Look how many people ran works before Elka come out and improverd their shocks, so that means they had well made products. So they could be a little off, but hey no one is perfect right?
And everyone is saying get Elka because they run elka, but if you were in my pistion i bet you would of get works aswell.
Rico, Chris 29, 400exracerx and duner400ex all run works and they love em, and they proabably beat their machine around a lot more than i do.

I don't know this is a tuff destion to make, if i order works i have 30 days and if i don't like them i will probably change . But from what i heard i won't be disapointed, i hope.
Well i am going to order workse this week and i will report back and tell you want i think about them.
And this summer i will test a 400 with some elkas with triple rates and ssd on fronts.
Well lata boys
Bro

Two balls- were you running rezzies on them works??? because if you weren't you might of got shock fade.

joe250
04-08-2002, 06:25 PM
Are the works a/t steelers adjustible? I think they are the only brand making shox for the 250ex, right? Anyway my 5.7 in suspention travel doesn't hold up too well when you land from 10ft up. Will works dual rates help that much or am i better off just waiting for someone else to get around to making shox for the 250?

Pro400EXC
04-08-2002, 10:52 PM
hey guys,also some good Shocks are those LegacyATV Rhino shocks,I just got mine,they are sweet. $900 but they are worth it. I have std. a-arms and it Saggs like a champ.

Also 400exBro,start out on a SV650 if you never rode a Street Bike before,cause you can hurt yourself on a 600supersport,as a first timer,and you defintly will kill yourself on a CBR954RR,so plz if you have no expirenece,get a sv650,they are great bike,sand you can get full farings for them

400exBro
04-09-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Pro400EXC

Also 400exBro,start out on a SV650 if you never rode a Street Bike before,cause you can hurt yourself on a 600supersport,as a first timer,and you defintly will kill yourself on a CBR954RR,so plz if you have no expirenece,get a sv650,they are great bike,sand you can get full farings for them

Thanks 400exc, i would of probably started with someting small and by 17 18 i will get the 600 or 929 get a nice loud pipe for her and i'll be set.
The SV is a honda right???, i haven't look around to much yet just at the super sports but i will look for just sports or the other ones i think recreational or sumthing like that
Well thanks again
Bro

04-12-2002, 09:20 PM
nah bro the sv is a suzuki but its a wheelie machine lots of torque its a v-twin. My first bike was a Honda Superhawk which was also a v-twin. For your first bike if you buy a 954 you will kill yourself. nuff said