PDA

View Full Version : What size paddle?

Nate408
07-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Im about to buy the itp sandstars paddles for a 400ex. but im not sure what size to buy 20x11x10? What size is most popular or works the best? My bike is basically stock w/hmf exhaust, jets, k&n. thanks alot.

nakomis0
07-23-2004, 09:23 AM
I ran a 18" tire on my nearly stock 400ex with a 14 tooth front sprocket. I thought it ran really well.

18" or 20" like I said I like the 18".

But theres some other stuff to consider.. like rim size. 10" rims look cooler.. like your roll'in on 10's.:huh

But an 8" rim is going to let the tire dig deeper in the sand. Its a better choice if you wanna faster holeshot and dragracing overall.

I'm not sure what SandStars are but if they have paddle runs, get an 8 run paddle.

I like just the straight paddles, or my second coice is the angled paddles. The Geckos and chopped up paddle design dont get as good traction.

Angled paddles will help you turn, straights are just faster in a straight line. Its hard to turn in the sand regardless, I don't think the angles improve it that much.. so I like the straight runs.

I would say get 18", with 8 straight paddles, on a 8" rim. Perferably ITP Haulers.. but those are a lil more expensive.

Cripple
07-24-2004, 01:46 AM
ITP doesnt make Haulers, they make the Sand Stars which are a pretty good tire, they have the deepest lugs of any angled paddle but could be a little lighter, they do have a good price though, another great choice are Sand Skate 2s, these are the lightest of the angled paddles are have proven themselves, these might be your best pick if you spent most of your time duning instead of hill shooting, not that these wont work for that too, but if you have the $$ Skat Trak Haulers or Extremes (hauler w/ kevlar and deeped paddles) i would buy them, lightest you can get and are straight paddled, any size you want and w/ and 400EX i would get 20-10-10/8 paddle, any bigger and ur pushin it, skat-trak.com sandtiresunlimited.com itptires.com hope this heps!