PDA

View Full Version : My engine is KNocking!!

sideways
07-22-2004, 02:43 PM
went out riding over the weekend for like an hour, stopped for a break, then heard my engine knocking . kinda sounded like there was something loose in the engine.
Took it out for a test spin and there was no difference in the engine while riding with no noises at higher RPM's. It's a 400EX just rebuilt about a month ago with a stage 1, high compression piston, intake and power core 4 exhaust. Anyone else had this problem and what could it be??

Ralph
07-22-2004, 02:54 PM
your valves could be out of adjustment and also most aftermarker cams will make ticking noises that are normal...

ridesa02400EX
07-22-2004, 03:09 PM
could be a broken cam chain tensioner

cals400ex
07-22-2004, 05:19 PM
the stage 1 just ticks bad. my buddy and i thought it was somethign wrong with his bike. he then sold the cam to another friend and his bike now is doing the same thing. the stage 2's aren't anything like stage 1, with the noise anyways.

07-22-2004, 07:51 PM
knocking & ticking is different

sideways
07-23-2004, 04:43 PM
it is definately a knocking noise. I know that the stage 1 is louder and it is definately noticable, but not the noise i hear. It came from the case, then the same noise was made and it sounded like it came from the cylinder, and only at idle. I havent had a chance to listen more closely and im not sure if i want to chance it by riding it, the engine is only a month or 2 old.

Sc0
07-23-2004, 05:54 PM
cheap/bad/old gas... You don't mention what Octane your using.

sideways
07-24-2004, 02:50 PM
always shell gas, 93 octane

sparks400
07-24-2004, 03:51 PM
mine does the same thing, it didnt do it wen i had the stock cam in there but until i put my hotcam in there it started to do it, i tried adjusting the vavles but it still did it then i red that it was the cam doin that because of the duration, so dont worry about it

cals400ex
07-24-2004, 11:10 PM
i will bet money it is that cam. it makes a ticking/knocking sound. if you want to find out for sure, put the stock one in for a minute and see. thru a process of elimination on my friends bike, we found that the stage 1 is extremely loud. the stage 2 is nothing like it.

sideways
07-25-2004, 04:37 PM
i was able to ride it fro about 6 hours today and i had no problem with the quad whatsoever, i was just a little nervous about the knocking. I was kinda thinking that it was the cam anyway, and im suprised that the stage 1 makes as much noise as it does. None of thast noise is bad???

400hondaex
01-24-2005, 08:38 AM
Could be your cam bearings too:D

400exrider707
01-24-2005, 09:18 AM
My stage 1 is quiet!?

crazyelece
01-24-2005, 04:10 PM
I had the same thing with the cam last summer and I sent it into the mechanic soon sfter for a rebuild anyway. He said it was because hotcam didn't make the cams to the correct spec and the gear holding the cam chain moved a little (had some slop) and that is what caused the noise. He called Hotcam for me and they sent a new one. It has since been redesigned and is totally different now. Since we put that one in no noise. You may want to call Hotcam and see what they say.

Ralph
01-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by crazyelece
I had the same thing with the cam last summer and I sent it into the mechanic soon sfter for a rebuild anyway. He said it was because hotcam didn't make the cams to the correct spec and the gear holding the cam chain moved a little (had some slop) and that is what caused the noise. He called Hotcam for me and they sent a new one. It has since been redesigned and is totally different now. Since we put that one in no noise. You may want to call Hotcam and see what they say.

yup that happend to alot of peoples hotcams.