PDA

View Full Version : timing question

ridesa02400EX
07-22-2004, 02:31 PM
ok when it says how to time the 400 in the manual it says to turn the crankshaft one turn and then tighten the other cam sprocket bolt does that mean that when you turn the crankshaft that the camshaft should move also? because when i turn the crankshaft the camshaft doesnt move at all am i doin something wrong?

massdabate
07-22-2004, 02:53 PM
ok i just built a 416 and this is how i set the timing
line up the top dead center mark on the flywheel turning the crank counter clockwise(the same way you set tdc for checking the valves) through the left side cover when this is done the engine will be on top dead center take the chain make sure its on the crank and put the sprocket in it and position it till the two index lines are level with the top of the head and the bolt hole with the index mark on it is pointing up, then connect the the cam to the sprocket with the lobes facing down and finger tighten the screw and the turn the crank again till the other blot hole comes to the top and finger tighten the bolt then turn the crank again and torque that bolt down and turn the crank one more turn and torque that bolt when the two bolts are tightend line up tdc again and the index lines should be flush with the head and the bolt hole with the index mark should be pointing up hope this helps ha

ridesa02400EX
07-22-2004, 03:07 PM
the cam doesnt move when i turn the crank? but if i put tension on it with a screwdriver throught the hole where the tensioner goes it will move. so i put the tensioner back on and tried it again it still wont move.

cals400ex
07-22-2004, 05:23 PM
you need to put both bolts in the cam sprocket hand tight. then go back to the first one you put in and torque it to the recommended torque (i am thinking 14-15 ft-lbs). now turn the crank a little bit so you can torque the other bolt and torque it down.

with the cam sprocket on and the bolts hand tight, the cam WILL turn. if not, somehow the sprocket isn't on or the chain fell off the crank.

ridesa02400EX
07-22-2004, 06:12 PM
well the chain must have fell off of the crank then because the whole thing wont turn sprocket and all. but i dont see how if i put tension on it with a screw driver that it will turn when i turn the crank

ridesa02400EX
07-23-2004, 05:36 PM
ok the i shined a flashlight down there and the timing chain did fall off of the crank. after hours of tryin i finally got it back on and got everything back together and started it up first try this morning at 1:30

cals400ex
07-23-2004, 05:53 PM
glad you got it running. make sure the timing is right.