PDA

View Full Version : Slow riders on fast quads.

ghak99
07-21-2004, 09:58 PM
The past few races I have been to have left me rolling on the ground laughing at many of the slow riders on very fast quads. As far as I am concerned, everyone should start out on a slower quad in order to learn how to use what power is there, and then move up to a faster machine.

Example 1: This past weekend I entered open class just for the hell of it, and my X smoked a 440ex in a short and flat down and back with a banked corner. I only wish I could have switched him quads one time so that the poor thing would at least know the feeling of a good rider pushing it to its potential!

Example 2: My neighbor buying a 440 as his first sports quad. Granted he previously had a 4x4, but he in know way knows how to race yet. I just hope he don't get pissed from losing all the time and quit before he learns how to ride the dam thing.

Well I guess that is enough dogging the people with more money than brains and talent added together.

;)

SHOCKER
07-21-2004, 10:08 PM
does it really matter, i had a race with about 14 other riders, i got 4th off the line with my Z 2 yfz/s and a really fast 440ex beat me off the line, the other 10 people were a couple yfz 450 a honda 450r another 440ex and 400ex a blaster and a 250ex and a 2 Z/s and a shee, its all about the rider, but hey i dont care if im a pro or a begginer id rather ride on a nice bike than a crappy one, it doesnt matter as long as you and them are having fun

400exmom
07-21-2004, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SHOCKER
[B]does it really matter, QUOTE] no.. it doesnt... and the world would be a better place if everyone mined their own fuggin bussiness:)

Splatter Matter
07-22-2004, 07:39 AM
maybe they have a fast quad just to pee you off.

dirtmomma
07-22-2004, 09:30 AM
Haha well Ghak yeah I come across this in my class, there was a gal last year they put her on a highly modded YFZ450 & she baffed the wall 2 times before they finally pulled her off of it!!! Hell I was wishin they'd let me ride it :blah:

roostin_dale
07-22-2004, 09:38 AM
I know what you mean, last weekend I beat a couple 440ex's, 416ex, a few Z's, a highly modded raptor, and a few 450's on my 250x....i think alot of them can't handle the power of the bigger quads and would actually be faster on something smaller.

dirtmomma
07-22-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
I know what you mean, last weekend I beat a couple 440ex's, 416ex, a few Z's, a highly modded raptor, and a few 450's on my 250x....i think alot of them can't handle the power of the bigger quads and would actually be faster on something smaller.

YEP heck I just took 3rd in a barrel race @ the jamboree against up to 500cc quads :devil: I beat a 450r cuz it was sooooo squirrly he couldn't keep it straight!! That's one reason I haven't gone out & got a 450 (well $$ too LOL) but sometimes more power isnt' always good if you can't control it!!

daddio
07-22-2004, 10:15 AM
DITTO...................... that's why my kids still on a blaster. he hardly ever gets a holeshot and he always works his way up through the pack. last week at hannegan he passed a yfz, trx450r,400ex for the win. only problem is that nobody believes his blaster is still 200cc's.

markk
07-22-2004, 08:25 PM
I sorta agree with you, but starting out on a 400ex isnt all that bad, Its actully really good if your an adult! A 400, 416 440 they are all really forgiving to the riders, and cheap to fix when u break items on them. But i do agree with you this past weekend, I was racing at a local track LTM, and I ended up flipping my quad down and hill, speding 20 min to get another clutch pertch back on my quad and to get my bars outa my tank. And i got back on the track and passed a ton of ppl. Some on honda 450r's and a Z and alot of 400exs, and a yamaha 450 and i still ended up almost beating 1/2 of my class!!! Just ride to your limit, and when somone faster than u goes by get outa the way and then try to hang with them, Push yourself slowly and u will become alot better rider~

ghak99
07-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
....i think alot of them can't handle the power of the bigger quads and would actually be faster on something smaller.

I couldn't agree more! But try telling one of them that...lol!

1badex
07-23-2004, 12:12 PM
i learned with suspension first to learn the quad, how to bank corners, jump, and overall handling. then moved to putting money into the motor.my dad is the one who told me to do this and advise anyone who is getting in to the quad scene to start with SUSPENSION.the motor isnt everything without being able to handle what you have.(just my humble opinion):)

wilkin250r
07-23-2004, 03:17 PM
I think there is more to it than "bad" riders and "good" riders.

My 250r had extended a-arms when I bought it, and I upgraded the motor for more power in the dunes. I rode the dunes alot, I'm certainly not new to riding. I put more money into my quad here and there for dune riding.

I then take the same setup to a flattrack, and it was nicer than most of the machines on the track. But my dune experience certainly didn't make me a flattrack expert. YFZs, Predators, 400EXs, you name it, it beat me out on that track, because I was new to flattrack racing.

Does that make me one of those idiot slow riders with a fast quad? Do I have more money than brains? Certainly not, it just means that I was new to racing. Now obviously putting a 12yr old girl on a DS650 and throwing her into a track is not a good idea. But not everybody that has a nice quad, but doesn't finish top 3 is a moron with more money than brains.

Lethalhonda2
07-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Just ride to your limit, and when somone faster than u goes by get outa the way and then try to hang with them, Push yourself slowly and u will become alot better rider~
I agree with this 110%. Too many people, adults and kids think they can ride as fast as everyone else. This only leads to more people ridding over their heads and getting themselves or others hurt, this is what the sport doesnt need.

exman
07-23-2004, 10:40 PM
i think alot of the problem is the money, we all no it costs big hard earned dollars to build a good quad....heck just to get nerfs, kill handlebars, tires, pipe and rims is alot for a 16-18 year old.

For sure if a person has never ridden a qaud they shouldn't get a power monster......but to play the other side why would a 17 year old teenager at 180 lbs waste is time on a 300ex...he will outgrow it.....

so you say well he could buy a stock 400ex and practice on that......yes he could, but he still has to dumb a 1000 or so jusyt to get minimal ready.

so why do you see alot of people with big 440 kits or new 450s

its money and cost of it......just look at what a good decent 440 quad costs...with arms swinger and shock pacakge not to mention all the other llittle enhancements.....now take a 2002 stock 400 and buy the equipment plus engine work to meet the 440.......and its hands down that its cheaper and money wise smarter to buy the 440.

markk
07-24-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by 1badex
i learned with suspension first to learn the quad, how to bank corners, jump, and overall handling. then moved to putting money into the motor.my dad is the one who told me to do this and advise anyone who is getting in to the quad scene to start with SUSPENSION.the motor isnt everything without being able to handle what you have.(just my humble opinion):)

This man said it all!

Hammer trx450r
07-24-2004, 05:14 AM
I hate people who think they are better than everyone else!