PDA

View Full Version : Carb problems?

kx254
04-02-2002, 10:26 AM
Someone please help,

I just bought a used 400ex and it runs perfectly, but like many 400s, cold starting gets confusing. I decided to play with the air adjustment screw(idle set), and found that it was screwed in all the way, I still dont understand how the bike runs perfect when its warm with it in all the way. To get to the point I unscreded it out 1.5-2 turns and noticed that the carb overflow was letting gas flow out at max. pace. Could someone please tell me how to fix this, thanks.

p.s.:only mod is a new fmf powercore 4 exhaust.

04-02-2002, 10:30 AM
Put a 42 pilot jet in it..and turn the fuel screw out about 2 turns and start from there,,it should fix all your problems..

kx254
04-02-2002, 12:23 PM
Thanks, do you have any idea what causing the overflow of gas when i unscrew the adjustment?

04-02-2002, 12:33 PM
well now that I'm thinkin about what your describing your unscrewing the float bowl vavle. It's gonna leak gas..that's why they put it on there,, your not turning the fuel screw. The fuel screw is under the carb toward the motor,,kinda hard to get to. The screw your talkin about NEEDS to be in all the way it's put there so you can drain your carb if you need to work on it. Sounds like your 400 is fine and normal.

barbwire44
04-02-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by kx254
Thanks, do you have any idea what causing the overflow of gas when i unscrew the adjustment?

I don't beleive you are turning the right screw it sure sounds like you opened the drain screw on the carb. Which would be turned all the way in like you said. The mixture screw has nothing to do with gas running out of the carb.

kx254
04-02-2002, 04:47 PM
Thanks,
You have been a great help. I appreciate it very much.