PDA

View Full Version : Nose Diving (prevention)

300ex_honda
07-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Hey there, im fairly new to jumping, and i can usually land pretty smooth but im wondering how i can prevent myself from nose diving on occasion to boost my confience for bigger jumps, i have a 400ex and do you guys have any tips which could help me a bit?

Thanx alot,
Andrew

300extreme#8
07-20-2004, 08:50 PM
hit the gas in the air

07-20-2004, 09:27 PM
dont let off the gas before the jump

urb'nyouthfilms
07-20-2004, 10:02 PM
smooth gas flow all the way off the ramp or jump and if your nose is heavy give it some more gas to level it out.;)

Nausty
07-20-2004, 11:13 PM
its all in the take off, gas in the air helps a lil but not much.

The best thing that will help you is just experience because so much of the time on jumps if you do one thing on one it may cause the front end to go high but then on the other it will cause it to go straight up and then pivot straight down in mid air.

if i had to give advice tho if it was a flat type jump with out a lotta pop to it i'd just stay back and give it a lot of up the face w/ and without letting off give it a good blip at the top.

Curved one i'd say go slower towards it let off right before it and then gradually give it more and more gas up the face. Just don't let the rear end preload to much or it will shoot you straight up pretty high and then you'll nose down.

YFZ450Ridr
07-21-2004, 12:57 AM
i only got a 250ex but do a fair share of jumping and i can only remember nose diving a few times, just pin the throttle down the run way and gas it right before u take off and it should make u hit back tires first. jsut practice you'll eventually get ur technique down and wont even think about it when u jump.

300ex_honda
07-21-2004, 08:15 AM
Ive been tryin to give it shots of gas at the lip, but i'll keep a steady flow on the way up, well thanx alot i know wat i gotta work on

1badex
07-21-2004, 01:25 PM
usually when you nose dive is because you dont have enough speed going into the jump.

300ex_rider1121
07-21-2004, 01:36 PM
give it steady gas but right at the lip left off and as soon as u let off floor it

bignorm
07-23-2004, 08:00 AM
wel if its the first time u jump the jump get ur nose kinda high what i do is kinda pull up on ur bars when u go off the jump and its always easier to get the front end down then get the front end up. or if ur front end is down pull on the bars and bounce ur butt on the back of the seat.

-josh

1badex
07-23-2004, 11:01 AM
put it in 5th gear...........FLOOOOOR IIIIIITTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JRDrider22
07-23-2004, 02:42 PM
you cant hesitate either its either balls out or nothing at all. no little half way $h!t....trust me i would know:D

wilkin250r
07-26-2004, 06:10 PM
It's all in the throttle. Everybody has given you pretty good advice, keep on the gas, possibly a little extra blip just as you go off. Notice I said "possibly". The best cure is practice.

A bicycle doesn't need power off the face of a jump because the bike is light enough that a person can maneuver it in the air. A quad is much heavier, so it MUST leave the ramp correctly.

A nose dive is caused by foward rotation. That foward rotation is caused by deceleration (slowing down) right off the face of the jump. Think about it. When you hit the brakes, your momentum causes you to lean foward, correct? It's that same principle, only when you are in the air, that foward lean becomes foward rotation.

To combat this, you don't want to decelerate of the face of a jump. But be careful. Just as deceleration will cause the front to go down, acceleration will cause the front to shoot skyward and you'll be coming down on your rear grab bar. Now, since most jumps are uphill (duh) it takes more power to go uphill, or else you slow down. So you may need to give it a little extra throttle on the face of the jump.

My advice is to start small and practice. Pretty soon, it will become natural.