PDA

View Full Version : 250r vrs. 400ex

250xridamatt
07-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Im looking to move up from my 250x sometime soon. I only have one friend in the area that has a 250r, and no friends with 400ex's. If i test drove a 250r to make sure it wasn't too much power, would it be close to the same power as a 400ex? i wish i could ride both, but i can't. I would rather have the 400, but if i can't, 250rs are cheap right now. Please help me. Thanks

Cole Trane
07-20-2004, 06:07 PM
250r's will kill a stock 400ex. Built 400's can hang though. 400 would be easier to ride, but if can get a 250r for cheap, go for it! I've always wanted a 250r, maybe one day.

daimon1054
07-20-2004, 06:20 PM
A stock 250R is not much faster than a stock 400EX. The 250R was a very mellow powerplant in stock trim and the suspension was = to the EX but nothing more. Thing is your chance of finding a stock 250R is pretty much nill and what ever you find will depend on what has been done as to if it is worth buying.

300ex_rider1121
07-20-2004, 06:29 PM
the 400 is faster but the 250 handles better

Tom TRX250R
07-20-2004, 09:35 PM
the 400 is faster but the 250 handles better

That is a load of crap! Coming from someone that has owned both they both handle great. The 250r stock is like stated before is mild but once you throw a big carb, port & polish, pipe, etc. etc. it will smoke the 400ex. The 400 is easier to ride and won't wear you out so fast when compared to the two stroke powerband. If it was me I would rather have the 250R anyday just because you can't beat the thrill of the two stroke powerband. Either way you can't go wrong though!!:D

EXtremeEXer50
07-20-2004, 09:40 PM
I would get the 400 it has a reliable 4 stroke engine and stock vs stock they are both pretty much equal the 4 stroke takes less maintanance than the 250r but if u are looking for something to build up and really go fast get the 250r!

250xridamatt
07-20-2004, 10:03 PM
How much of a step up is it from my 250x?

atvracr350
07-20-2004, 10:08 PM
the step up from a 250x will be incredible. you are riding a completely different style of fourwheeler with the 400 and 250r. They both have way better handling, suspension, power and everything. You will love either one you get. hope it works out for you.

foleyit
07-20-2004, 10:18 PM
Either quad will be a big improvement in power over your 250x. I doubt that the 250r you test drive is stock. The power between the 250r and 400ex are like apples and oranges. A mild 250r powerband will come on easy then just kick it up 3 notches. But once it is yours and you will be familiar with it and it wouldn't be a problem. The powerband of the 400ex is there but it is more manageable throughout.

Your 250r will require more maintenance and the more engine work done more maintenance required. Be sure to factor the cost for a new top-end and some reeds if you buy one.

250xridamatt
07-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all the help. What is the maintence like on the r. I do all the work i can on my x. Every time i fix something on my quad, i realize something else is bad. Its continuous work. I know you have to mix the fuel, but what else needs to be done? thanks

By the way, only mods that affect power is an fmf pipe. I think it is the full pipe. I have only seen this quad once. He has not riden it for at least a year and a half.

foleyit
07-20-2004, 10:53 PM
First and more importantly -- definitely drain the tank and put in new fuel. You may need to pull the carb and clean it out because it might be all gummed up.

Maintenance:

You will go through pistons and rings more often on any 2-stroke than a 4-stroke. You will know because iit loses compression.

Be sure to let to turn off your gas if you let it sit for any length of time.

With a stroke you want to keep the RPMs up, you will learn to feather the clutch.

250xridamatt
07-20-2004, 10:55 PM
I never understood the whole feathering the clutch thing?

foleyit
07-20-2004, 11:08 PM
the term feathering the clutch comes from where you squeeze in your clutch a little (keeping your Rs up) while still on the throttle.

2-strokes are notorious for not having any bottom end. So the power of the motor isn't fully achieved until you hit the mid-range. For a good example of when to feather the clutch, would be climbing up a hill, and you can hear the motor bogging down, give a little squeeze to let the motor gain some RPMs then let out the clutch. By doing this, you don't lose any real significant speed like you would if you were to downshift.

Tom TRX250R
07-21-2004, 01:03 AM
A two stroke is very easy to maintain. Don't listen to ppl that say you constantly have to maintain them because I have owned an R now for about four years. I have NEVER fouled a plug the whole time I have owned this bike. I have only had to redo the top end once. If you get the jetting set up perfect on 2 strokes they are very easy to maintain. Just make sure to keep fresh mixed fuel in the tank at all times and I always run my pre-mix at 32:1 with H1-R oil. Also run quality gear oil and change periodically depending on how much you ride.

250R's are IMO one of the best quads ever made. They can be set up to race in anything and conquer. The new 450's are finally taking over the race scene but there always be a 250R in my garage.

mustang93
07-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by foleyit
the term feathering the clutch comes from where you squeeze in your clutch a little (keeping your Rs up) while still on the throttle.

2-strokes are notorious for not having any bottom end. So the power of the motor isn't fully achieved until you hit the mid-range. For a good example of when to feather the clutch, would be climbing up a hill, and you can hear the motor bogging down, give a little squeeze to let the motor gain some RPMs then let out the clutch. By doing this, you don't lose any real significant speed like you would if you were to downshift.

:huh how often do you go through clutches. an example of fethering the clutch woud be to keep the front end down or wheels from breaking loose durring take off, what you just described is a clutches worst nightmare just down shift and run in the power range of the motor

250xridamatt
07-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Well i talked to my dad... He hates two strokes. He said its like me riding a chainsaw around. Well i guess its back to the 400ex. What is the cheapest you see them going for around you?

nacs400ex
07-21-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by mustang93
:huh how often do you go through clutches. an example of fethering the clutch woud be to keep the front end down or wheels from breaking loose durring take off, what you just described is a clutches worst nightmare just down shift and run in the power range of the motor
:p Sorry to burst your bubble, but feathering the clutch is what Foleyit said. What your talking about is just called pulling in the clutch :eek:

nacs400ex
07-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by 250xridamatt
Well i talked to my dad... He hates two strokes. He said its like me riding a chainsaw around. Well i guess its back to the 400ex. What is the cheapest you see them going for around you?

Well theres nothing to hate about them if you know simple mechanics. Either one of them can be a nightmare to work on if you dont know what your doing. I would say if you want a quad that has the most potential get the 250r over the 400ex. On the other hand if you just want to hit the trails worry free get the 400ex. You cant beat them for reliablity.

Good luck choosing! :blah:

250xridamatt
07-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Even though i live in the country, i still have some very close neighbors. My dad doesn't like the high loud sound. I don't know any other reasons.

660r2a400ex
07-22-2004, 09:37 PM
they are both hondas, either one is a good choice, personally i like 4 strokes.