View Full Version : i think i have a stolen quad

400quad
07-20-2004, 02:31 PM
I need some opinions/suggestions.
A few months back a guy I used to work with(I no longer work there), said he had a quad he was trying to sell. Me looking for a dirt bike, said I would be willing to take a look at the bike. He wanted $800 for a 400ex.

I went to his house to look at the bike a few days later. It was real dirty/greasy with a few cracked plastics. But over all it seemed like it was in good condition. I asked for a title and he said that I didnt need one. I guess I was ignorant, but I went along with what he told me.

I have rode the quad for about 5/6 months. I have begun to look at what people have said about folks selling stollen quads and I got suspicious from how the transaction went. Asked how to find a vin#(what 4wheelers have vin#s???). Could not find one on the frame. Someone previous to be buying it had scratched it out.

/sigh....

I asked a guy I know about it. He said dont bother, if it was stolen and the #s scratched out no one will ever know whos it is. He says this because I want to go to a honda dealership and return it to see if someone can get their quad back. Hes says it would do no good, they will never get their bike back due to the #s not there. So I would be out $800, and someoen would never get their bike back anyways.

My question is this. Is there ANYWAY that Honda can find out whos it is. I dont want to give it back if they wont get it. But I dont want to keep someones bike from them. I have had my house broken into and trashed/theif'd. I know the feeling and I dont want someoen else to lose at my gain.

Please, any help. Any suggestions....I feel bad enough, plz dont talk down to me for my ignorance. :(

admins if this is not where the thread belongs, plz move. thx

Honda4trax250x
07-20-2004, 02:39 PM
wow, i'd say its definitely stolen, not much you can do, I'd say call the police or something.

400quad
07-20-2004, 02:48 PM
would that be the best thing to do? handle it with the cops? i just want to get ahold of the right person. i dont want honda to profit from this, just the right guy get his bike back.

Ralph
07-20-2004, 02:59 PM
just report the dude u bought it from, but chances are ur gonna look more suspicious than a good guy seing how u have ridden it for 5 months now...

400quad
07-20-2004, 03:01 PM
im not concerned about looking conspicious. I wrote a check. He had to cash the check. Anyways, who turns in a bike someone stole themself? Someone who gets a conscience? If they did, they would take responsibility.

Ralph
07-20-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by 400quad
im not concerned about looking conspicious. I wrote a check. He had to cash the check. Anyways, who turns in a bike someone stole themself? Someone who gets a conscience? If they did, they would take responsibility.

did the guy write out a bill of sale? cause u dont even have any proof that that guy sold it to you. meaning u have no way of getting ur 800$ back.

the vin number on a 400ex should be right behind the front bumper if u wanna double check.

SHOCKER
07-20-2004, 03:12 PM
its really hard to say whats the best thing to do, no vin number, no proof of you actually buying it from someone, if ya turn it in it could be you that gets arrested, but if ya dont then someone willn ever get their bike back

400quad
07-20-2004, 03:21 PM
Well, after I speak with the police, ill update you guys as to if someone gets arrested or not.

So a check with the "for: 4-wheeler" on it wouldnt mean anything?

derekhonda
07-20-2004, 03:22 PM
$800 for a 400ex? That didnt make you suspicsious to begin with? I would say it is stolen, but then it makes me wonder why he would take a check.....Hmmmmmmm.....

400quad
07-20-2004, 03:24 PM
I guess thats where research would have saved me alot of headache.

cdalejef
07-20-2004, 03:50 PM
There is also a number on the engine (unless he too it off too) that Honda will have in their system.

bansheeguy77
07-20-2004, 03:51 PM
your just going to end up screwing yourself in the end....because the quad will get taken and no one will get it back

400quad
07-20-2004, 03:53 PM
where can i check for this engine number? is it enternal? if it is chances are its there.

cdalejef
07-20-2004, 04:10 PM
Its external, I don't have one here to look at to see where it is but I'm almost certain they have one.

Ralph
07-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Its external, I don't have one here to look at to see where it is but I'm almost certain they have one.

yeah they do but it is not matched with the frame at all, its not on the title or in any database linkning it to a frame. The engine number wont help much but double check for the vin number,

i bet whats gonna happen is that their gonna take it from u, and sell it at a police auction to some lucky kid for more than u paid for it.

if i were you i would buy a new frame wich u should get a title with. Then trasnfer all the parts and junk the old frame.

chances are if u have had it for 5 months no one is looking for it anymore.

cdalejef
07-20-2004, 06:46 PM
I know that when we fill out warantee paper work on new quads we have to get the vin# and engine code. Its worth a try!
When you buy a new frame from Honda, you have to cut the vin off the old frame and send it in before they will sell you a new one. I found this out last year when we had to buy a foreman frame.

MOFO
07-20-2004, 06:52 PM
if you call the police, make sure you give them the guys name that you bought it from. for all you know, he could be the azzhole thats stealing them, or he could be keeping the theifs in business buying the stolen quads from them.

Chanman420q
07-20-2004, 07:19 PM
buy a frame from ebay

deathman53
07-20-2004, 07:43 PM
I don't know what I would do with it, I have a 86 250r, 85 250r that I have no clue about the history, myself I would wait untill you are ready to strip down the bike, when it is all apart take the frame to cops they can find the vin number on it, even ground off. this way atleast you aren't out all the parts and if they find the real owner you can give him all the parts. If the cops don't find the owner, then you are only out the frame, just make sure to keep the bill of sale or any type of transaction record. The 85 trike has a ton of aftermarket on it so, the question on the frame is why it only gets ridden legal. I would watch where you ride and do't let the cops get that frame. I agree with the honest think, but you are gonna lose big time and most likey not gonna go back to the owner.

trick450r
07-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Ok first of all its a 400ex and they are cheap crap no j/p guys:blah: the original owner will never get it back especially without a vin# if you bring it too the cops you will get suspicous even being the one giving it back....second i WOULD buy a new frame cuz if tou ever sell it then they will think you stole it! third its a quad not a car not a boat not a motorcycle the cops would put it aside like the jelly doughnut that fell on the floor!!!

Mxjunkie
07-20-2004, 07:58 PM
imo i think you should just keep it, from what these guys have been saying it sounds like your just going to end up getting screwed over in the end, quadless, screwed and who knows what else.

honda350r
07-20-2004, 08:06 PM
It is illegal to posses a stolen vehicle! It is illegal to buy one ! 800.00 for a quad is questionable and the judge may find you guilty!! It sound to me like your guilt has gotten to you!

SGA
07-20-2004, 08:16 PM
Hmm, I thought on this a min.
If its bothering you, then hand it in. I do think if you hand it in, you will be out of a quad and $800 bucks. If it makes you feel better handing it in, then so be it. You are the one that has to live with yourself.
What you are asking is something only you can answer .

Actually, Its like a breath of fresh air to read about someone totally honest. Hats off to you. :)

bulkdriverlp
07-20-2004, 09:12 PM
if you call the police you could get charged with "reciving stolen property" . dont worry bout it, ya got a good deal. now ride it:blah:

TheFontMaster
07-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
if you call the police you could get charged with "reciving stolen property" . dont worry bout it, ya got a good deal. now ride it:blah:

What he said. Your better off buying a used frame off of ebay or somthing.

theozman82
07-20-2004, 09:55 PM
Trust me on this one. I know from first hand. They will take the EX and you will get in just as much trouble a the guy who stole it if they can find him. You will be charged for receiveing stolen goods. They are also going to wonder why it took you so long to come to them but hey this is just what happend to me and my opinon and it was only a trailer about 3 years ago it might be worse now

Smokin 440
07-20-2004, 09:58 PM
IF it was stolen, if the owner was smart he had insurance on it and ended up w/ a new 400, so in the long run only you would be getting screwed...

400quad
07-20-2004, 10:00 PM
thanks for all the suggestions. im still not sure what to do. i hate the thought of trading all the parts over to another frame and still owning stolen goods. but i would hate to turn it in so the guy who originaly bought it wont get it and i get charged by the police.

if i had of known about titles/vins/values i would have never purchased it. :(

honda350r
07-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by 400quad

if i had of known about titles/vins/values i would have never purchased it. :(

How old are you? You said you wrote the guy a check and you did not know that motor vehicles need a title?????

I ain't buying your story and the cops won't either!

Sorry but you seem too smart to not know about titles!!

derekhonda
07-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Ill give you $801 dollars for it :devil:

No in all seriousness, all aspects of this deal are pointing towards it being stolen, so if you do turn it in, you lose your fourwheeler, and $800 bucks.

If you decide to keep it, you always run the risk of someone else turning you in for the vin numbers being scratched off, or if its in your truck or on a trailer and a cop notices it you might be in big trouble their too, but you get to keep and ride your fourwheeler.

Those sound like the two choices you have, or I suppose you could part it out on ebay, everything but the frame, trash it, and their goes all the evidence.

I dunno what i would do, i would try getting ahold of they guy you purchased from a little more before i did anything rash....

400quad
07-20-2004, 11:30 PM
i know street legal cars need them. you HAVE to have it for insurance. off road 4wheelers? i didnt know a thing about atvs till months after i got it. sorry, im not gonna try to convience people of one thing or another. they will believe what they want despite what i say.

400quad
07-20-2004, 11:34 PM
i tried calling him last week at the job i used to work for. couldnt get ahold of him then. maybe after i talk with him he will take it back. probably not, but i dont care if i can get half of what i paid for it, or just give it back. i dont want it.

440ex2001
07-20-2004, 11:41 PM
Invest in an aftermarket frame or just buy a new OEM frame. Swap everything over to the new frame. End of story.

MA-KAN-IK
07-21-2004, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by honda350r
How old are you? You said you wrote the guy a check and you did not know that motor vehicles need a title?????

I ain't buying your story and the cops won't either!

Sorry but you seem too smart to not know about titles!!

Honda 350r....Has anyone ever told you this before?...
You should think before you speak!!!

Here in West Virginia you can buy a new ATV off of the dealer showroom and never see a TITLE, you will get an M.S.O. (Manufacturers Statement of Orgin), then if you WANT to you can take the M.S.O. to the DMV office and pay taxes on it and get a title.....

In my opinion He seems like a nice guy with a conscience wanting to do the right thing!

Originally posted by SGA
Hmm, I thought on this a min.
If its bothering you, then hand it in. I do think if you hand it in, you will be out of a quad and $800 bucks. If it makes you feel better handing it in, then so be it. You are the one that has to live with yourself.
What you are asking is something only you can answer .

Actually, Its like a breath of fresh air to read about someone totally honest. Hats off to you. :)

I totally agree with SGA 100%

MY450R
07-21-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by MA-KAN-IK

Here in West Virginia you can buy a new ATV off of the dealer showroom and never see a TITLE, you will get an M.S.O. (Manufacturers Statement of Orgin), then if you WANT to you can take the M.S.O. to the DMV office and pay taxes on it and get a title.....

In my opinion He seems like a nice guy with a conscience wanting to do the right thing!

your absolutly right most states you can get a title for quads just by paying taxes on m.s.o. if your paying on a loan you dont have a title anyway
and if i want to scratch the vin off my wheeler i could
there is no way someone can say its stolen!
think about it for a second
who is going to say yes that quad is a stolen motor vehicle just because there is no vin. yes it looks suspicious but noone can prove otherwise
keep the wheeler and try to get it out of your mind
yes you are honest but playing dumb is your best option right now because IFit actually was stolen that person will never see it again anyway EVER
btw its not to often that people are as honest as you are so congrats to you

Pappy
07-21-2004, 07:30 AM
get the # from the engine and pm Popo. he can run it and see if its stolen.

honda350r
07-21-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by MA-KAN-IK

You are entitled to your opinion ! It sounds to me that he bought a stolen quad and now he will dump it for half of what he paid?

Would you buy a 400ex for 400.00 bucks and think it was legit?

I think you should call the cops and be done with this!!

deathman53
07-21-2004, 04:57 PM
just a thought you could buy a frame off of ebay that is bent/cracked etc and has a title, cut the vin part out of that frame and cut the vin out of the (stolen) frame and weld the legit peice in, nobody will ever check the motor number. its nice to hear about being honest, but the frame wil never get back to the owner and you will be in a world of trouble.

SSRedRider
07-21-2004, 06:12 PM
I agree with deathman53. Get another frame and cut the vin # off of it and go on. Other wise you are going to lose your 4 wheeler and your money and you will probably get into some trouble, maybe not, but your will lose. I don't like thiefs, they are low lifes, but if what you are telling us is true you are just a victom of circumstances. You just thought you were getting a good deal, hopefully this is what you thought. Good luck.

Dunesurfer
07-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
get the # from the engine and pm Popo. he can run it and see if its stolen.

I agree with Pappy. I commend you for trying to do the right thing.
If for some reason anytime down the road a cop stops you and checks for a vin your screwed, You will be charged with stealing it. Not worth it. Contact the police or a Honda dealer with the engine number to be sure. Plus if it does get returned to it's owner they will be sooo happy.

good luck.

400quad
07-21-2004, 06:38 PM
ill check for that engine #. where is it located on the engine?

Mr.Offroad
07-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Just my two bits. I grew up around a towing company my dad had for 25 years. In the state of Washington, if it's stolen, and they WILL find the frame #, (it's kind of a magnaflux setup they have with dye that shows where the # was stamped into the frame, even after it's been ground off) they will take the machine, you will be out your $800, but you probably wouldn't face prosecution, as you were honest enough to come forward with it. It's just a matter of where you want to go from here.:confused:

250rmike
07-21-2004, 09:06 PM
the police can use a special chemical to lift the ground out number up and it can returned to the rightful ower if you want to do that