PDA

View Full Version : Failed Dynatek cdi

foleyit
07-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Ok, I just fried my 3rd Dynatek cdi module. I've gotten a lot of rides out of both before they failed so it's not like they fail right after installation. I ride/race the piss out of my quad. I don't do it a lot, but I wonder if I am hitting the rev-limiter too often?

1) Is there any particular reason for this to be happening?

2) Anybody else experience any problems with theirs?

norcalatver
07-20-2004, 02:58 PM
I was just talking to Shane B this morning and he said his has failed also. He has no clue as to why either though.

cals400ex
07-20-2004, 04:47 PM
i thought chuck said one of his went bad too. :(

foleyit
07-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Cals400ex,

I made the correction in my beginning post, but I wanted to put emphasis this was my 3rd cdi module.

I know you are pretty on top of these cdi modules. Dynatek had come out with a new board for their modules and I have fried 2 of them now. I can't think of anything that would be causing this. The only thing different is -- I put a new clutch perch. I twisted the wires together so that I could start while in gear.

TORO1968
07-20-2004, 10:01 PM
I wonder if vibration is making them go bad...hmm...

foleyit
07-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by TORO1968
I wonder if vibration is making them go bad...hmm...

It's hard to say I do ride a lot in the sand and I have never had one fail in the sand. But everytime I have taken it to the dirt it fries. I get maybe 150 yds full throttle and it fries. I wonder if hitting the rev limit will fry the cdi module.

I find it wild that a stock cdi and WB cdi and neither will fail no matter how hard I ride. The customer service is great at DynaTek Scott gets me a replacement right away each time so far. I wish I had some more reliability. He's just as confused as I am.

cals400ex
07-20-2004, 11:46 PM
i would ask dyna what the heck the problem is. i probably would have already had a dyna now but the extra 400 rpms isn't enough for me. this one however suits me better than the msd. i don't need the studder box and all of those curves and rpms limits to choose from. i mainly want good spark and more rpms. i don't even need the advanced timing really. i think i will just get a TC box. i guess with this one my bike will start and i will get added rpms. for you, i am not sure what to tell ya. it has to be somewhat of a hassle to keep replacing these, even though they plug in. i would get tired of calling and my bike being down until a new one comes in.

foleyit
07-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Yeah it really bugs and you can definitely see a brighter spark when I tested it out. Good thing that I have my stock cdi so I can still ride. Still hassle having to call it in, wait for it to be shipped, and so on.

shaneb
07-21-2004, 03:21 PM
I might just go back to a stock box .....

chucked
05-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Yea old post... My 2nd Dyna just fried, and I think its past the warranty. At least this time I wasnt stranded because I learned my lesson from the 1st time and still had the stocker with me. I emailed dyna, asking if there was an upgrade in the modules.

1st one I fried I was racing down a trail,

2nd time, I shut it off just to take a break, then after I started it back up, it just ran like crap, Idled fine, but absolutely NO power.

Kinda sucks $300 + DOWN THE DRAIN!!!! Yea im PI$$ED!!!!

chucked
05-30-2005, 09:56 AM
YUP, IM HOT! I bought it 4/23/04, 1 month out of warranty. DONT BUY DYNA!!

muff
05-30-2005, 08:56 PM
what tethers are you guys running (if you do) and how do you have them hooked up?

from reading popo's post in the open forum and numerous ones on yfzcentral, if you have one of the open systems (prodesign) hooked up to the CDI and ground (like pro design says) it's not good for the dyna ignition

chucked
05-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by muff
what tethers are you guys running (if you do) and how do you have them hooked up?

from reading popo's post in the open forum and numerous ones on yfzcentral, if you have one of the open systems (prodesign) hooked up to the CDI and ground (like pro design says) it's not good for the dyna ignition

They dont have the wire for the killswitch for the 400ex. SO in other words, no one has a killswitch hooked up to the ignition.

foleyit
05-31-2005, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by chucked

Ouch, they wouldn't even work something out with you? Is it 1 year past your 1st fried unit not the purchase date?

chucked
05-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by foleyit
Ouch, they wouldn't even work something out with you? Is it 1 year past your 1st fried unit not the purchase date?

You know... It has been one year since I first purchased one... I sent the warranty card in for the 1st one, but not this one. Ive since lost the card.

BUT!! I just got off of work and im about to go switch it back. The screws for the slide in the carb came off yesterday. Im thinking they may have been loose when I thought the dyna was shot, making it run lean, because it wasnt pulling the needle up or something. Ill get back to yalls soon.

chucked
05-31-2005, 02:31 PM
dyna is shot.

foleyit
05-31-2005, 02:42 PM
They should have the unit's serial number on file regardless of warranty card. I purchased my unit from them directly. But they should be able to deterine whether or not if your unit has the updated module or not. I don't know of any way to truly tell.

Keep us updated...

chucked
05-31-2005, 02:55 PM
I just got off the phone with Scott from dyna, he was giving me some possible situations which could have caused the problem. The only one Im worrying about is the jetting. Right now it is where it was all last summer, with what mods I have right now. BUT for 2 weeks (about a month ago) I had a quiet core in it and I had to lean it out, he's thinking maybe I didnt rejet it right (after i took the quiet core back out). I kinda doubt it though, because I only had 2 jets, a 155dj(w/o quiet core) and a 143dj (with quiet core) The clip was 3rd from the bottom w/o quiet core on the needle and 4th from the bottom on the needle with the quiet core. I actually wrote it on the wall in my shed. Just for the hell of it im gonna go check the position of the clip (only thing I could have really screwed up on).

He told me not to sweat having the warranty expired, if this doesnt work I will send it in tomorrow.

foleyit
06-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Glad to see that Scott over at Dyna is working with you. I didn't think that you would get screwed and have yourself a nice $300 DynaTek paper weight.

Xenu
06-01-2005, 11:10 AM
I just got off the phone with Scott from dyna, he was giving me some possible situations which could have caused the problem. The only one Im worrying about is the jetting. Right now it is where it was all last summer, with what mods I have right now. BUT for 2 weeks (about a month ago) I had a quiet core in it and I had to lean it out, he's thinking maybe I didnt rejet it right (after i took the quiet core back out). I kinda doubt it though, because I only had 2 jets, a 155dj(w/o quiet core) and a 143dj (with quiet core) The clip was 3rd from the bottom w/o quiet core on the needle and 4th from the bottom on the needle with the quiet core. I actually wrote it on the wall in my shed. Just for the hell of it im gonna go check the position of the clip (only thing I could have really screwed up on).

He told me not to sweat having the warranty expired, if this doesnt work I will send it in tomorrow.

I am confused now. At this point, should we follow your advice in your DON'T BUY DYNA!!! posts, or is it safe to buy dyna again, now that you have contacted them?

chucked
06-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Xenu
I am confused now. At this point, should we follow your advice in your DON'T BUY DYNA!!! posts, or is it safe to buy dyna again, now that you have contacted them?

depends, do you want to buy something you have to send in, wait a few months, then get it back, use it for a year, send it in wait a few months, get it back....

mills_racing
06-01-2005, 06:25 PM

yeah same here i bought mine and rode for a few months then it jus all of a sudden tears up .really nice when they are workin but they r junk.

chucked
06-20-2005, 02:52 PM
I got my new Dyna today. It appears to be shaped a little differently then the last one. But im waiting on an axle and bearings today.

chucked
06-23-2005, 07:20 PM
I got my new Dyna today. It appears to be shaped a little differently then the last one. But im waiting on an axle and bearings today.

I just fried this one hauling *** down a trail, When I get this next one Im gonna sell it.

cals400ex
06-24-2005, 12:28 AM
my gosh, you have had some bad luck. i hope mine on my 450r doesn't poop out on me.

Bigg Pimpin
08-02-2005, 02:25 AM
Add me to the list. I have been through 4 boxes in the last 8 months. Scott has been great and always sends a new one out ASAP but it does get old having to keep sending it back in. I think I may try the new Big Gun Over Rev CDI. :rolleyes: