PDA

View Full Version : teach me the basics

finally400
07-20-2004, 11:47 AM
hey my name is tyler and ive ridin a utility quad with ESP for 2 and a half years now... and its time for me to switch to a new quad.. now on monday im going to a guys house to test ride his 400ex.. and i dont wanna look like a fool when i get on the bike and screw up with clutching and everything.. so i need some help... on a 400ex.. just a 400ex.. basically all i need to know is a good and easy way to use the clutch and actually get going.. and ive heard things about not clutching on an up-shift .. can i do that? and what else do i need to know about the clutch...and amybe some tips

and about maitenance... do i need to put oil on the chain everytime i get off?.. and what about adjusting it... how do i know when i need to do it?.. or can i tell?.. and how do i adjust it?.. do you want it tight or loose?

also you can tell me any other things i need to know about the 400ex.. i know some stuff.. but any help would be great..

thanks a bunch,
tyler hawkins

SHOCKER
07-20-2004, 12:21 PM
well for the clutch its pretty simple, just pull it in shift down to 1st and then slightly let the clutch out and give it a little gas, and if you are just cruising around use the clutch unless you are racing, if you are racing then dont use it, you want the chain to be pretty tight not loose, you should always keep the chain lubes so it will never rust or get dy, and if you are riding in muddy conditions always lube it really good :blah:

Quad Racer 600
07-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Also before purchasing the quad check for cracks in the frame, sub-frame, swingarm.....blah blah blah. check above the front shock mount for cracks also.

finally400
07-20-2004, 06:06 PM
how am i gonna know when to tighten the chain? how can i feel it

SHOCKER
07-20-2004, 09:07 PM
well if the chain is really really tight loosen it, and if the chain has more that 1" of movement tighten it :blah:

finally400
07-20-2004, 09:22 PM
this is really gonna sound dumb.. but remember ive been a utility man.. but what is the subframe.. and where is it.. also besides changing the oil.. iling the chain.. and cleaning the filter.. what other maitenance do i need to do

SHOCKER
07-20-2004, 10:14 PM
there is the frame where the whole suspension and motor and components are connected to the on the rear of the bike going over the swingarm there is a subframe, it holds the seat and rear fenders up, and on a ex it holds the battery and air box to, it is detachable

quad_45
07-21-2004, 10:07 AM
four strokes in general are not very high maintenance. As long as you look over it! You know, change the oil (its very easy, we change our oil every national but if your play riding you can get a way with going longer) but make sure you check your oil regularly make sure its full! Might what to check all your bolts, to make sure they are tight (motor mounts tend to loosen from vibration after a while). And look over the frame, exspecially factory welds, cracks like to hide under paint! Wish you the best of luck and hope you have fun!!:D

JRDrider22
07-21-2004, 11:04 AM
where are you from? also take it to atrack and ask people to look it over for you. everyones nice

ATCO TONITE

finally400
07-21-2004, 12:49 PM
im from missouri...

it always seems like sport quads are high maitenance.. so your saying that adjusting and lubing the chain.. cleaning or replacing the filter... and changing the oil is the only real maitenance i need to do? what about the disk brakes.. anything tricky about them? ive always had drum brakes.. and also if i want to wheelie do i just pull in the clutch shift up and let it go real fast.. is that what people mean by "popping the clutch?" or is that something else

thanks

SHOCKER
07-21-2004, 02:33 PM
i think thats pretty much basic maintence, its really easy, for wheeling, i havent really messed with stop to go wheelies, but i ussually sit back on the seat while in 2nd gear just putting around, then i just give it gas and lean back, but i like to stand up now and pretty much do the same, oh and disc brakes last pretty long, just check the parking brake every once in a while

finally400
07-21-2004, 03:55 PM
thanks alot... i dont feel so lost anymore.... im afraid that when riding if theres a somewhat large rock in the path.. and i hit the disc from the disc brake on it.. will it bend or break.. and if it bends what happens? and if theres anymore tips out there i havent heard go ahead and shoot em at me...

thanks alot guys

SHOCKER
07-21-2004, 04:26 PM
it would brake more then bend, if itgets really hot it could worp, but the as long as you invest your money into a prm chassis skid and and prm swingarm skid your rear rotor will be fine, oh and no rock will ever touch your front rotor

Ryan
07-21-2004, 04:32 PM
As far as the chain, it should have about a 1/2" of slack. You won't need to adjust it often. And its pretty simple when you do.

Changing your oil every 20-30 hours of ride time is normal (If not racing).

Also valve adjustment can be needed every so often. I havn't had to adjust mine yet. Its pretty simple from what I hear.

If you can give your quad a little extra TLC, it should last a long time.

Good luck.

xc400ex
07-21-2004, 07:21 PM
If your chain only has 1/2 inch of slack your asking for trouble. When its that tight what happens when you jump and the rear suspension compresses? Thats rough on axle bearings and stretches your chain.

47501exracer
07-21-2004, 08:50 PM
Dude,

How old are you?
You might want to stay on the 'ute ATV.

Seriously,

if you want performance, buy your quad. You will learn in time how to change/fix things. I race XC and probably do less maintenance on it than my old TRX200SX. They are easy to take care of. Neglect them and you will pay, just like anything else.

finally400
07-21-2004, 09:10 PM
How old are you?

im 19... i can do anything you can ask for on a quad... i just have been babied by electric shift and centrifical clutches.. and now i think its time for me to move up.. and i just dont wanna be embarrased when i go ride this fellas 400ex... i just thought i could brush up on my manual clutching so i dont screw sumthin up...