PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with FOX Float Air Shocks, anyone run them or know someone who does???

thexjkid02
07-19-2004, 11:09 PM
I am just curious about these shocks, I dont know anyone who runs them, I have used the search and looked on there website and still cant make heads or tails of them. Does anyone know what lengths they come in, valving, cost ect???? any input is appriciated....

trout
07-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Never ran them or even seen them in person, but I do know that for mountain bikes, FOX is tops. Their Float vanilla series is the cream ofthe crop for mountain bikers, for rear suspension.

The idea is good, easy adjustments, you use an Air pump to change rebound and compression and such. They are also used extensivly in formula one racing.

trout.

1badex
07-20-2004, 08:19 AM
i havent used them but there was an earlier post about them and the guy who bought them loved them because you can lay the frame on the ground or have it way up in the air with a little air pump. i dont know what purpose he was using them for but no complaints about them.their not very expensive either.

thexjkid02
07-21-2004, 12:53 AM
Aight cool, well theres a little insight, so what about opinions on performance ie. MX XC Big Air ect??? how do you guys think these things are gonna react to abuse in the real world without factory support and such??? because I know most of us handle our own maintenance and what not....

Barely legal
07-21-2004, 07:48 AM
I rode them on a stock YFZ and posted that here months ago. They were great but there was a couple people on some of the boards that just wanted to argue about them. Now that they are out, find someone of here that has them to echo what I said. :D

thexjkid02
07-21-2004, 07:44 PM
All of the people on this board and only one person has ridden a bike with them on it, I am sorta surprised???

sparky450AR
07-21-2004, 11:13 PM
I dont understand how they work. Are there valves that slow the air/rebound.....just like there are valves that do the same with nitrogen? They arent the best equipment out there or the pros would run them, keep that in mind.

montyjcm
07-22-2004, 01:40 PM
The pros probably haven't tried them yet since they are fairly new technology. Someone will probably start using them soon.

Toadz400
07-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by montyjcm
The pros probably haven't tried them yet since they are fairly new technology. Someone will probably start using them soon.

But remember the pros are usually running products before they are released to the public.

ProConcept
07-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
But remember the pros are usually running products before they are released to the public.

Fox was never big into quads(but not for polaris), only snowmobiles (i got a set on my sled) mountain bike, and a few other things. Consider this there entrance into the ATV shock market.

1badex
07-23-2004, 11:52 AM
half the people on the forum have already spent thousands of dollars on there shocks.when you already have reputable shocks that get the job done......who is going to go out and spend another grand on a set of new shocks that they don't need?????

montyjcm
07-23-2004, 03:37 PM
That is true, but for people who don't it is another option. Also, they supposedly save some weight.

swampfoxsc
07-23-2004, 03:39 PM
who is going to go out and spend another grand on a set of new shocks that they don't need

The other half of us who have never bought shocks!:blah:

sparky450AR
07-23-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by 1badex
half the people on the forum have already spent thousands of dollars on there shocks.when you already have reputable shocks that get the job done......who is going to go out and spend another grand on a set of new shocks that they don't need?????

The key word in that BIG sentence is "half". Its also the first word. LMAO

INFANTRY RACING
07-23-2004, 08:31 PM
on this board you will never hear anything good about any shocks but elkas cause thats the only thing anyone on here runs. i would like to run them if the worked good but i don't wanna be the guinea pig

protraxrptr17
07-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Seems to me that air would heat up and expand too much for MX. Probably would work great for recreational riding. High ground clearance for trails, low for wide open roads. They would also be real light because there are no springs, good for dunes and drag racing. But what do I know, I run Elkas because thats what everyone else on here runs.:rolleyes:

WhiteBros400ex
07-23-2004, 11:11 PM
Nvere ran or seen them close up but they look pretty cool.:) :)

thexjkid02
07-24-2004, 02:26 PM
"on this board you will never hear anything good about any shocks but elkas cause thats the only thing anyone on here runs."

I am kinda getting this feeling too, its like everyone wants to have the same setup, but how do you know if one product is better than another if you dont try it yourself, sometimes its like people just buy **** to be cool and put it in there signature on here... the onyl thing that really matters is whos FASTER!!!!! :D

INFANTRY RACING
07-24-2004, 04:26 PM
most people have never even tried other brands but they'll still bash them

TheFontMaster
07-24-2004, 04:33 PM
How much money do those fox shocks cost, after reading this post i think I might look into a set for my 300ex.

PEPwalshZ440
07-24-2004, 09:13 PM
only reason is cuz of elkas turnaround time...1.5 weeks...otherwise i'd have pep or axis in a heartbeat

acold7dusta
07-24-2004, 09:31 PM
i heard its like $900 but i dk if thats for the front, rear or all three? and i think the predator 500s have them stock?

TheFontMaster
07-24-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by acold7dusta
i heard its like $900 but i dk if thats for the front, rear or all three? and i think the predator 500s have them stock?

The predators have regular fox shocks, not the air shocks.

sparky450AR
07-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by PEPwalshZ440
only reason is cuz of elkas turnaround time...1.5 weeks...otherwise i'd have pep or axis in a heartbeat

I waited close to a month on axis.....it didnt bother me much.

REDARMYRACER
07-25-2004, 05:31 PM
that would be alot of money to spend w/out knowing what you're buying. elkas are badars shocks AND they are race proven.
it's almost as if fox made a mistake by not pushing them onto proracers to try them, and get them out on the market.

250rmike
07-25-2004, 07:39 PM
there is also the point that people dont want to spend 1000 dollars on unproven shocks with elka tcs axis pep and even works they are proven. what if you were to go spend the money on them there is no garentee that they will work good for you. until more people start using them and we hear accual opinions not from riders that get paid to talk or ads its still up in the air as to how they will perform

glenfoto
07-25-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by thexjkid02
All of the people on this board and only one person has ridden a bike with them on it, I am sorta surprised???

I am not surprised...

1st, they aren't cheap. There are so many proven designs on the market... why would you want to be a guinea pig...?

2nd, as someone else noted.. you don't see many (if any) pro's using them. This doesnt mean that they aren't good, but it does set the mindset of "if they aren't using them, why should I?"

I'm sure Fox has a good product here... but I am NOT surprised to find that few people have used them.

thexjkid02
07-27-2004, 03:07 PM
btt

exrider44
07-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Im going axis all the way

CdaleXtreme
07-27-2004, 03:47 PM
I e-mailed fox and asked them if they are going to make a Long travel version for racing. and they said they werent making anything for the racing market yet. For serious motocross these shocks raise some issues and they probly wont work to well.