PDA

View Full Version : New to me 400ex is leaking fuel

brus01psd
07-19-2004, 09:13 PM
I've got a 01 400ex, had only about a month runs great but pisses fuel out the little hose from the bottom of the carb. I am new to riding , new to forum, any help would be appreciated

Fuchs42
07-19-2004, 09:17 PM
when does it do this? it is normal to do during or a little after a wheelie becuase the float goes unlevel causing an excess amount of gas to go into the carb and overflow.....

brus01psd
07-19-2004, 09:22 PM
It leaks all the time, idling, or just sitting with the fuel off.

Bill Fuller
07-19-2004, 09:27 PM
Time to clean the carb,something is sticking.Sounds like the float is sticking.

Fuchs42
07-19-2004, 09:29 PM
Ok, your problem is most likely the float is stuck try hitting the carb lightly with something like rubber or the end of a hammer, if that doesnt work, take the carb off and clean it out....

Xowner
07-19-2004, 09:29 PM
hit the carb with the plastic part of a screw driver sounds liek a float stuck or you may have dirt in the carb take it off and clean it

Fuchs42
07-19-2004, 09:30 PM
Well i guess bill got to it first lol

brus01psd
07-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I have noticed a stumble during hard accleration too. Anyone use inline filters? seems like a good idea.

Fuchs42
07-19-2004, 09:37 PM
I've never used em, but I try to keep clean fuel in my machines. If it is dirty on the bottom of the tank, take the tank off or drain it and make sure no grit runs through the carb. It would still be a good idea to take the carb off and spray it out with some carb cleaner, make sure everything is working properly.

Bill Fuller
07-19-2004, 09:37 PM
The stumbling sounds more like a jetting issue.I never used an inline filter,but I think it would help.........some.There is a screen in the pitcock.

ewalker302
07-20-2004, 12:36 AM
The screen (filter) actually goes up into the tank. it would probably be a good idea for you to pull the tank off and clean this screen if you find any trash in the carb. Like Bill said, its on the top of the petcock, just unscrew it from the tank and pull the screen part out.

:bandit:

azlugnuts
07-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Let's hope you had the same luck as I did ..

When you're looking at the carburetor from the "fuel shutoff" side, you'll see a screw facing you (near the bottom of the carb, immediately to the left of the yellow choke lever).

This screw is the "drain screw" and if it's not tight, you'll see fuel pouring out of your drain hose. I wasn't paying attention when I removed my carb and thought this the air/fuel mixture screw .... Took my an hour trying to figure out what was causing the fuel to pour out.

brus01psd
07-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks everone for your response. Turned out to be a simple fix: Someone before me evidently lost one of the small clamps on the fuel hose and replaced it with a automotive style band clamp which they overtightened and cracked the plastic nipple just below the gas tank. Fuel was trickling down to the to the overflow hose. Oh well, I went ahead a ordered a K&n filter a jet kit, gotta spend money on sumthin right?