PDA

View Full Version : Stock everything in the dunes

Rogers_Dad
07-19-2004, 09:08 PM
I'm thinking of going down to Little Sahara, OK on Labor Day weekend. How well does a stock 450R do in the sand? I've never ridin' in sand but I know my 450R hasn't lost to anything yet. I'm not big on racing but if some numbskull does come up talking huge I would like to know how well the tires hook up in sand.
I've seen the 'What not to race thread' but I would like to think this bike kicks as much in the dunes as it does on the trails. After I get smoked stock then I will start dumping money into it. I'm really get tired of Polaris 700's thinking they can beat me. Usually they are old men who started riding when they were 45-50.:huh

07-19-2004, 09:24 PM
it should be awesome man...have fun

Got nads?
07-20-2004, 07:04 PM
All I ride is sand! The stock 400Ex and 450R hook up pretty well in the soft stuff, not as good as paddles, but better then most aftermarket knobbies.

tjar66
07-21-2004, 12:08 AM
I ride sand all the time I was only out once before I got paddles you will be fine

4wheelboy
07-21-2004, 12:37 AM
just air your tires down and you'll be fine:p

snow4fun
07-21-2004, 07:16 AM
Don't line up against any 450's with paddles and/or paddles and any mods like pipes, etc. The extra traction from the paddles off the line will give them a killer holeshot. It is fun to ride with just knobbies because you can powerslide the rear end at will and do 360's really easy. I would let your air down to about 2 lbs and let her rip. Later Scott

450rEdge
07-21-2004, 07:56 AM
I had a full weekend of sand this past weekend on my totally stock 450R. I had the tires at 3psi, should have went lower actually. On the drag strip, I got outrun by anything that had paddles because of my first two gears cutting grooves instead of propelling me forward. I raced a DS 650, piped with paddles and I can tell you, had I had paddles I'm not sure I could have outran it. It was strong. There was a totally stock banshee with paddles that jumped me by three bike lenghts off the line, but I would close that to around one bike length before the 100 yards was up. There were two HRC or Piped 450R's there, one with a 4" over swingarm that no one outran. There were a couple of strong banshees, not outrageous mind you, but strong that couldnt get the holeshot on the 450's.

Rogers_Dad
07-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Cool. I may have to buy an extra set of rims with paddles on them for the heck of it. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks.

snow4fun
07-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Just read this current active topic:
"Hauler paddles need help" and this should help answer your questions. I personally went with Hauler 20x10x10 8 paddles per tire and they seem to work fine, but if I had it to do over, I would probably choose the 22x11x8's as they talk about in this topic "Hauler paddles need help" Check it out... Scott