PDA

View Full Version : can you say nucking futs!

the yazer
07-19-2004, 04:03 PM
yea its got a hemi

http://www.aev-conversions.com/Gallery/P4080683.jpg

Mxjunkie
07-19-2004, 04:14 PM
when are they going to stop using this hemi, its in every darn car almost

Toadz400
07-19-2004, 04:14 PM
Woa, is that a production Jeep?

Does Dodge/Chrysler own Jeep?:confused:

the yazer
07-19-2004, 04:21 PM
no its not a production jeep this company puts them in you jeep for you http://www.aev-conversions.com/index.html

the yazer
07-19-2004, 04:22 PM
http://www.aev-conversions.com/Gallery/P10100212.jpg

Cole Trane
07-19-2004, 04:35 PM
That would be pretty fast!! I still hate daimler/chrysler!!

Dan_Guetter
07-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Does a Hemi come with a tin of chew with every purchase?

wilkin250r
07-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Shift_DVS
Does a Hemi come with a tin of chew with every purchase?

I believe in the Cadillac the Hemi comes with a free Steer Horns hood ornament!

Ralph
07-19-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider2002

I dunno man, some of these high end benz'es always blow me away

SHOCKER
07-19-2004, 05:19 PM
2 years ago at the SSSS i saw a jeep with a viper engine, and you think that hemi is fast this jeep with a viper engine would kill it :blah:

07-19-2004, 05:22 PM
the hemi they have out now. not to be confused with a REAL HEMI is a joke in a truck. it might be great in a car or even a jeep. but is way to weak of a motor to put in any truck you plan on working with. it dosn't take much of a load at all for the MPG to hit mid single digits!!!!!

Pappy
07-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
the hemi they have out now. not to be confused with a REAL HEMI is a joke in a truck. it might be great in a car or even a jeep. but is way to weak of a motor to put in any truck you plan on working with. it dosn't take much of a load at all for the MPG to hit mid single digits!!!!!

i get 13 mpg towing my trailer with my hemi:confused:

Ralph
07-19-2004, 05:25 PM
I think the whole "HEMI" thing has been beat to death, most motors today have hemispherical combustion chambers(All it is basically).

I mean gimmie a break they try to make it look so hardass. Monday monday, driving in my brand new HEMI MinyVan, goin to drop the kids off a soccer. :huh

K_Banger125
07-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by SHOCKER
2 years ago at the SSSS i saw a jeep with a viper engine, and you think that hemi is fast this jeep with a viper engine would kill it :blah:

theres a guy who lives near me with one of those dodge srt-10 trucks with the viper engine in it its got something like 500 hp and 520 ft lbs of torque stock...its fast :eek2:

redroost85
07-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Tell'em Ralph:macho

This Hemi chit has been thoroughly beat to fricking death. I love how all these yuppie azzes are loving the 'Hemis'....I think they think they know something when they say the minivan has a 'Hemi'......hearing them talk is effing hilarious.:rolleyes2

lil400exman
07-19-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by redroost85
Tell'em Ralph:macho

This Hemi chit has been thoroughly beat to fricking death. I love how all these yuppie azzes are loving the 'Hemis'....I think they think they know something when they say the minivan has a 'Hemi'......hearing them talk is effing hilarious.:rolleyes2
speaking of that i was at a gas station and this guy just bought a brand new "hemi" ram. i said nice truck (trying to be polite) he said ya its got a hemi. i said really? what is the hemi and does most cars have it? he said no cause dodge has the hemi. i said true dodge is the only company with the hemi name but does other vehicles employ the same technology? he was at a loss for words. i got out a pen and paper and i taught another man about his truck.:blah:

MOFO
07-19-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
I think the whole "HEMI" thing has been beat to death, most motors today have hemispherical combustion chambers(All it is basically).

Yep!

I've heard the new Hemi actually resembles the new Chevy Vortec motor more than the original hemi... :eek: (speaking about the heads)

go figure.. :rolleyes:

Ralph
07-19-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Yep!

I've heard the new Hemi actually resembles the new Chevy Vortec motor more than the original hemi... :eek: (speaking about the heads)

go figure.. :rolleyes:

its marketing...

MOFO
07-19-2004, 07:27 PM
its marketing...

of course... people dont want to hear how much power or the details of the motor... they just advertise the name Hemi. Same thing that GM did with the Hummer... its just a name... no where near the original.

TheFontMaster
07-19-2004, 07:31 PM
That is the best use of the hemi yet. But i do agree with just about every, the hemi is being over used. And don't give dodge any ideas about a hemi powered mini van, they would probably do it.

MOFO
07-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
That is the best use of the hemi yet. But i do agree with just about every, the hemi is being over used. And don't give dodge any ideas about a hemi powered mini van, they would probably do it.

trust me, if they could find a way to wedge a Hemi in a mini van without major modifications and a FWD setup that could take the power (or RWD setup), you would see the Hemi as an option.

Ralph
07-19-2004, 07:48 PM
trust me, if they could find a way to wedge a Hemi in a mini van without major modifications and a FWD setup that could take the power (or RWD setup), you would see the Hemi as an option.

im quite sure there is a hemi minivan:eek2:

ramp rida 55
07-19-2004, 08:05 PM
i drove a hemi ram before its not even that great. ford V10 way better and even the gm engines from the yukons and tahoes seem better i dont see whats so great about a hemi anyway. they did kick *** in the cars way back i rode in a dodge hemi car with a 426 hemi and it was crazy:eek2:

ramp rida 55
07-19-2004, 08:06 PM
although i would like to have that jeep locked and lifted with some 38's:devil:

Brad
07-19-2004, 08:36 PM
my friends 95 jeep has a chevy 350 small block

bulkdriverlp
07-19-2004, 08:41 PM
im tired of hearing all this hemi hype:devil: the speed limit is 55, and 70 on the e-way. most people would ever need that much power, it just a way of being cool i guess.:rolleyes:

mxmike17
07-19-2004, 09:00 PM
I got to agree my Z-71 would pull a trailor better than my Hemi Ram. And its dead from 1500 to about 1800rpm.

I raced an v-10 dodge and it left me like I was in a pinto!

Rogers_Dad
07-19-2004, 09:19 PM
My 99 F-250 V-10 will smoke a Hemi in a pull any day of the week. The engine is made for horsepower not torque. Great engine in a car, not a truck. Don't see too many Hemi's in 3/4 or 1 ton trucks do you?

07-19-2004, 09:42 PM
half the ppl that have a hemi dont know wtf it is... they just think the name is cool and makes u instantly fast:rolleyes:

toomeyshee87
07-19-2004, 11:14 PM
i say screw hemi, unless its in a 300c....for a truck, ya stick with the ol chevy 327!!

diesel-mech
07-20-2004, 02:18 AM
This hole thread soungs like the typical cry baby gm stuff that mopar owners have put up with all through the years.
gm ran the whole "vortek" thing into the ground just like chrysler is doing with the Hemi but that was OK because it was GM! Cry me a river:grr: How many mopar fans did you hear *****ing??? I think your upset because chrysler is in the spotlight. GM will come back with something, thats how it works!

" my z-71 will smoke a dodge v-10" OOOOKKKKK:rolleyes:
maybe in a drag race but not pulling a load. The v-10 and the cummins are dodges work horses. just like the 454 and the duromax is for GM

"My ford v-10 will out pulls the new Hemi" NNNNOOOO $h!t:huh
I bet its a close compairison against dodges v-10 though
Dodge makes a great truck, GM makes a great truck and so does ford. If you want to compair them keep it fair. Don't compair apples to oranges. If you line the trucks up evenly they are not that much different from each other.

Look at what is going on here! Cruising down the road at 65mph the Hemi is turning about 1600 rpm's! come on!!!!! lose the 3:54 gears and put 3:92 gears in it. so the engine has some leverage on the drive train. Then its impressive. Has anyone driven a "rumble bee"? At least they have decent gearing
Chrysler redesigned the Hemi at almost the smallest cid it has ever been. It has the shortest stroke it has ever had. The torque is not there. Its not designed as a work horse. They are triing to show its versatility and building the wrong expectations from people. It should be in a car competeing against the mustang or the new GTO. But some jack***** desided to put it in a truck. They are using it for the wrong application and yes they are overselling it.
But that same jack***** sold a boatload of vehicles to people that don't know any better and made a lot of money which is the name of the game. A company that can't out sell its compition won't be around long.

. The true mopar fans should be the ones complaining! I feel that we have been cheated. They have underrated one of the most powerful engines ever built, hystorically. I feel that they should have kept the 360 & 318 and built the hemi for its high performance line-up. The 4.7 liter is a total P.O.S.and should be dropped.
My only hope is that the original hemi started life as a 330cid (if memory serves me correctly, could have been smaller) but it grew up over the years. Maybe the new Hemi will too.

Also My 5.9 liter dakota 4x4 will walk all over any z-71 in its path and has prooved it time and time again. My dads 5.2 5-speed 4x4 dakota does the same. You have know idea how many moorons in a Z-71 get cocky when they hear a dakota with dual exhaust. They try to show off and quickly get shut down. Don't even try saying that dakota is smaller than a Z-71 because my quad cab is 275lbs heavier than my buddies z-71. Its a fair fight and the dodge wins, like it or not. Z-71's are nice trucks but they are not the most powerful. Not that Dakotas are but its a close compairison

Cole Trane
07-20-2004, 03:11 AM
Anything you buy new now is gonna be a good truck. I've just never liked daimler/chrysler. My sister has had two of their products, both were huge POS's. I'll never buy one, but I won't tell someone their vehicle sucks because it's made by a certain company. You can get lemons with an company, I've just had too many unfortunate ones with daimler/chrysler. Mercedes is making all these cars in the US now, and they were better when they were made back in Europe. I'd rather have a BMW M5!!!

SGA
07-20-2004, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by diesel-mech
(Dodge)made a lot of money which is the name of the game. A company that can't out sell its competition won't be around long.
haha, so true!
:)

popo
07-20-2004, 06:36 AM
My 5.9 ram is a turd, my 5.9 dakota was a rocket until I traded for the turd I now own and paid 37 g's for and to trade it in with only 22,985 miles on it. $16,000.00.

The ads hp my ***.... how many people are gonna get up and stay in the 5000 rpm range to get the 300 hp that they claim.

I am in love with the Chevy Duramax, and if it had a CTD in it I would love it more. But never a Dodge again.

The 5.7 Hemi is being replaced by the new 6.0 Hemi.

07-20-2004, 03:34 PM
i like the reliabilty on my z71, i dont know but my dad must have had a pickle on all his dodges cuz all 3 broke and died within like 50,000 miles, z71 still fires up like new at 225,000 miles

big-guy
07-20-2004, 11:08 PM
I don't care what engine you have in your jeep, if it has a/c, you are NOT hardcore.

SGA
07-20-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by big-guy
I don't care what engine you have in your jeep, if it has a/c, you are NOT hardcore.
Then I aint hardcore, gimme my A/C:o :p

Mxjunkie
07-20-2004, 11:15 PM
this hemi thing has gone a little far, i saw a dodge with a "yeah its got a hemi" bumper sticker on it, it wasnt even the hemi ram either :rolleyes:

Ralph
07-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by big-guy

^
|
|
American Bad-*****:o

250xridamatt
07-20-2004, 11:47 PM
My dads "got a hemi" he has a 300c. It is it fast, and it throws u right back in ur seat. Most luxury sedans aren't supposed to be fast.

Nausty
07-21-2004, 12:44 AM
its marketing...

yea definitely. I'm gonna kill the next person I see that says "does it got a hemi"!:mad:

MOFO
07-21-2004, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by 250xridamatt
My dads "got a hemi" he has a 300c. It is it fast, and it throws u right back in ur seat. Most luxury sedans aren't supposed to be fast.

no...

most luxury sedans today are fast. Go over to Europe and that 300c will get its butt handed to it.

lol
07-21-2004, 11:10 AM
400exrider2002: its opinion, i happen to disagree with u about the daimler chrysler products..........we have had no trouble with them whatsoever....thats what happens when u take care of ur cars:o

I have heard bad things about cummins diesel_mech, but then again, i only know about cummins marine

Ralph
07-21-2004, 12:15 PM
no...

most luxury sedans today are fast. Go over to Europe and that 300c will get its butt handed to it.

cause european countrys are smart and make their engines more conservative. They engines arent ment to throw u back in ur seat. But they will make u feel alot better when u fill up less exspecialy with the high gas prices over there.

Thats why there also are alot of diesel cars out wich are realy nice(We used to own a benz over there) and they are alot cheaper to own. Over here the only company i can think of that has a diesel sedan i believe is mercedes and they actualy greatly improved the top end problems with diesel

Ralph
07-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Anything you buy new now is gonna be a good truck. I've just never liked daimler/chrysler. My sister has had two of their products, both were huge POS's. I'll never buy one, but I won't tell someone their vehicle sucks because it's made by a certain company. You can get lemons with an company, I've just had too many unfortunate ones with daimler/chrysler. Mercedes is making all these cars in the US now, and they were better when they were made back in Europe. I'd rather have a BMW M5!!!

about mercedes, most of the engineering is still done in germany, and i think they are still quite good cars, My friends dad is the head of a pretty big benz dealership(dont realy wanna say wich) and he brings home quite a few differant cars, specifically the M class.

M class is a great car, especially the M55(AMG):D that thing rips and tows like a champ.

but like any car little things can break, but if u bought a benz and something went wrong they usualy fix it no problem. U wont believe the storys people come up with and actualy get it fixed.

"I was speeding and hit a huge pothole i want a new rim and the allignment fixed" at benz the customer is ALWAYS right.

250xridamatt
07-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Let me rephrase MOFO, Most cars under 40,000 aren't that fast. Sure all those luxury sedans that cost and arm and a leg, and then some are fast. Thats what u pay for.

Ralph
07-21-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by 250xridamatt
Let me rephrase MOFO, Most cars under 40,000 aren't that fast. Sure all those luxury sedans that cost and arm and a leg, and then some are fast. Thats what u pay for.

once again, alot of them are....

cdalejef
07-21-2004, 01:08 PM
I've saw a Viper V-10 stuck in a TJ at a rock crawling event a couple years ago! :eek2:

Ralph
07-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
I've saw a Viper V-10 stuck in a TJ at a rock crawling event a couple years ago! :eek2:
TJ or CJ?

cdalejef
07-21-2004, 01:37 PM
TJ or CJ? TJ

Bretmd94
07-21-2004, 01:54 PM
dodges only good motor is the only one they dont build. the Cummings turbo diesel.

And dodge over plays the whole "HEMI" thing about a million times more than chevy ever did with vortec.

The hemi is a step up from the 360 that was in the 1500 trucks before thought. My roomates dodge is a POS. It gets 11mpg, and has no power. Whats the point???

07-21-2004, 02:03 PM
I LIKE THE COLOR

FMFBOY
07-22-2004, 03:51 PM

:grr: hey come on now, i work for chrysler

popo
07-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by FMFBOY
:grr: hey come on now, i work for chrysler

Than does us Dodge oweners a favor, add more power and better gas mileage.

diesel-mech
07-23-2004, 03:26 AM
On my 2000 Dakota I have personally rebuilt the rear end (I blame that on Eaton, the posi unit came apart) I had a freeze plug start leaking (no big deal, not a design flaw) I had to get it aligned about every 4 month which pissed me off because it was a design flaw but I re designed it and now its fine. The #1 thing that gets me is it has a vibration in the drive line that I can't find!
To me chrysler has one major problem! The warranties run out to soon! our truck had a 36000 mile warranty. It ran out in 2 years and they never offered an extended warranty when we bought it.

As far as chrysler engines go, You may think they are under powered I don't think its a power problem. I think they are over geared. If you drive a dodge truck with the offroad package which includes 3:92 gears then drive a standard dodge truck you will see my point. The trannies shift into OD and lock the torque convertor clutch way to early. The engines are straining to gain enough RPM's to get the leverage back, the milage would improve if the shift points were about 300 RPM's higher. As much as I hate to say it, chrysler has never figured out how to build a quality OD tranny. In fact the only really good auto tranny they ever built was the 727 torque flight. I never buy a dodge with an auto tranny.

As for the cummins. Yah its a good engine and easy to crank on the fuel. In a marine application, well thats another story. An engine that small in a boat has to be able to turn some rpm's and its not a good revver.(as diesels go) a 3126B or E or a C-7 cat is a much better choice for a boat. or a small V-8 diesel like the triple nickel(cummins 555) or a 3208 turboed cat.

I am going to put a 392 HEMI in my dodge powerwagon. Talk down about that one!:grr: I can't afford to build a 426 but I can get a 392 for a decent price and its not much more expenssive to build than a big block ford or chrysler. If I can swing it (and I'm triing like he-- to get my buddy to sell it) I am going to buy a Donnoven block and heads. I don't know of a whole lot of engines that will compete with a full bore Donnoven Hemi. They hold there own against KB Hemi's and rodex pretty well.

Also YES GM DRUG THE ***** OUT OF THE VORTEX!!! You may not remeber all the hype but I sure as he-- do! and the only thing that the 360 and the new Hemi have in common is they are both small blocks. They have almost no interchangable parts. They are not even close to the same engine. It would probably be better if they were.

Just for Kicks does anyone remember back in the day when manufactorers used to advertise "payload"? It seems to me that when everyone started buying truck to be cool they lost the whole concept of what a truck was built to do, WORK!!! I personally wish they all would go back to the basics. Oddly enough TOYOTA was the lost to forget what a truck is all about. Even all the heavier trucks like the duallies are all glamouris now. They never even talk about GVW any more and that used to be what was most important.

OK I'll shut up now:blah:

popo
07-23-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by diesel-mech

As far as chrysler engines go, You may think they are under powered I don't think its a power problem. I think they are over geared. If you drive a dodge truck with the offroad package which includes 3:92 gears then drive a standard dodge truck you will see my point. The trannies shift into OD and lock the torque convertor clutch way to early. The engines are straining to gain enough RPM's to get the leverage back, the milage would improve if the shift points were about 300 RPM's higher.

Diesel, you nailed it right on the head about the power... I have a 5.9 with the 3.92 gears and does the exact same thing.

Is there a work around that you can think of? If you turn the OD off it hits around the 3200 RPM range a 65mph with the mileage read out stating 5 miles to the gallon.

Thanks for expertise knowledge.

batgeek
07-23-2004, 06:44 AM
i 100% agree with deisel...i have the same experience with my truck.

Pappy
07-23-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by popo

If you turn the OD off it hits around the 3200 RPM range a 65mph with the mileage read out stating 5 miles to the gallon.

i tow with the od off, 70 mph at 2500 rpm and 11 to 12 mpg. mine is a 2500 series so im pretty it had different gearing then your red truck had:confused:

Woodsrider
07-23-2004, 08:05 AM
I have to agree with Deisel, You cant go buy a good truck off the lot anymore. You have to order it to spec. In 99 I bought a new Dakota with the 318, I spec'ed it for work, HD springs, tow package, 3:92 gears,11,000#gvw, bla bla bla. I got 19 hwy w/o a load and 15 to 16.5 towing 75% of its GVWR. I sold the truck 15 months after I bought it, (and actually put money back in my pocket) but Ive been kickin my self in the head ever since.

diesel-mech
07-23-2004, 11:06 AM
My wife drives the dakota more than I do. I told her to hit the OD button when she stops to shut it of, then when she hits 55 MPH turn it back on. After a month of driving this way we saw an increase of 2 mpg. No its not an amazing numbers but with gas prices everything counts. Now she is in the habit of shutting the OD off while it is coming to a stop cause she likes to hear the exhaust crackle.
Don't drive with the OD off all the time (thats bad MMMMK) Just leave it off till you get to cruising speed.
I hope it helps

So nobody has a dodge with a 5 or 6 speed manual tranny?:eek2:
That just seems strange to me givin that this site is based on a high performance sport. I figured more people here would like the control of a manual tranny? Go figure???

And Batgeek, Man 2500 rpm's at 70 mph with no OD??? Are you sure because your truck should have 4:10 gears and at 70 mph 1:1 (no OD) with 4:10 gears and I'm guessing stock tires you should be close to 3700rpm's (I didn't figure it up its just a guestimate)

Pappy
07-23-2004, 11:09 AM
ill test her out this weekend, but i only hit above 3000 rpm on hills etc.

my other truck is a dakota with a V-8 and a 5 speed. we just started running premium fuel in it and were rewarded with +2 mpg. i havent figured that one out yet

the yazer
07-26-2004, 10:06 PM
I think only a couple of you guys are getting what I'm trying to say: Does a CLAIMED 355 horsepower and 375 lb/ft of torque in a Jeep (jeep = lifted,big tires,short wheel base, low gears and lockers) sound excessive? IT IS! Imagine twice as much power as the stock 4.0L and it's only 57lbs heavier. Dealer serviceable, reliable, and modern.
http://www.aev-conversions.com/Vehicle_Hemi.html