PDA

View Full Version : yfz vs crf quad?

Freestylemxr
07-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know if the yfz would beet a crf450 quad? I know dana creech was riding one with all the yfz's at one point but I didnt know if there performance was the same

CTmxyfz
07-19-2004, 11:57 AM
ill let you know how they compare. My sponsor is going to be buying a walsh crf hopefully and ill put it against my walsh/elka yfz. Let you know.

southbeach14
07-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Freestylemxr
Does anyone know if the yfz would beet a crf450 quad? I know dana creech was riding one with all the yfz's at one point but I didnt know if there performance was the same

crf should beat it. one of the mags did a shoot out.

Freestylemxr
07-19-2004, 01:06 PM
alright thanks, CTmxyfz make sure you tell me how they compare, it sounds like a good match

Freestylemxr
07-19-2004, 01:48 PM
i've also heard that with the crf engine wen you are going sideways on a slops that the oil in the engine goes to one side, so if you were to ride sideways on a slope for a long time it would burn out the engine, does anyone know if this is true?

Out_Sider
07-19-2004, 03:42 PM
no, the crf motor will not have any problems with that, its the yfz motor that will do that

Parrella450
07-19-2004, 03:54 PM
yea its the yfz not the crf...even doin wheelies for awhile on a yfz the oil light comes on...wouldnt the crf push out more hp though?

SIXTEEN QUAD
07-19-2004, 07:08 PM
um where do you get your info from a yfz doesnt even have an oil light and no they wont burn up in an off camber situation thats part of the reason for using a dry sump system its harder for it to oil starve the only way they can lose oil pressure from angles is to run them low on oil and and 02 crf motor is no match for a yfz but an 03 will run about the same in a drag race

Freestylemxr
07-19-2004, 07:34 PM
whats the difference between a 02 and an 03 crf motor?

Scottie Mac
07-19-2004, 08:38 PM
I have a YFZ set up for mx, my buddy had a JRD 03 CRF race quad. In a drag, they are pretty much neck and neck. He has beaten me, I have holeshotted him in races. I don't really think there is a power advantage to either. The CRF has more torque down low and is an easier motor to ride mx, but the YFZ has a racier "feel" to it. I would love to have a CRF quad, but with the production rules being what they are, it is a bad choice in terms of investment. On the flip side, if you are looking for a CRF quad, now is a great time to buy.

Scott

SIXTEEN QUAD
07-20-2004, 06:50 AM
i know the cams are different but i think there are some other differences also i know an 02 is a pian to start and an 03 will fire first kick every time

Black_R_Dreamer
07-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by SIXTEEN QUAD
um where do you get your info from a yfz doesnt even have an oil light and no they wont burn up in an off camber situation thats part of the reason for using a dry sump system its harder for it to oil starve the only way they can lose oil pressure from angles is to run them low on oil and and 02 crf motor is no match for a yfz but an 03 will run about the same in a drag race

the yfz has an oil light ?!?!?

SIXTEEN QUAD
07-24-2004, 07:30 PM
no it has a temp light and a neutral indicator

Who knows
07-24-2004, 09:23 PM
My buddy has had a full roll/lobo crf quad for a year now, he bought a 03 crf for 6300 and put it in a LSR frame and built it up from there. After a while he had problems with the tranny shifting or staying in one gear. So he bought a TRX 450 and says the motor is way better situated for a quad, The engine has a larger oil capacity than the CRF version and has different gears and a beefier clutch.

danyeo
07-27-2004, 10:07 AM
Here are a few videos. Scroll down to see the CRF in a 400ex frame race a YFZ and a DS650, actually it's not much of a race, that CRF looks to be built up nice, it destroys the others and in the second video it wipes up 2 Banshees.

http://www.ljsoftware.com/Videos/Pismo.htm