PDA

View Full Version : Y is there no grease fittings??!!

TRX250XFIRE
04-02-2002, 04:19 AM
y is there not any grease fittings on my 250X u would think that there would be, but theres not, also how would i grease all the ball joints and everthing on it
thanks!

nakomis0
04-02-2002, 04:37 PM
Guess ya gotta do it thee old fashion way.....

If your talking about something like the axle carrier, you can take it apart and put a grease fitting on there. I did that with my old Blaster.

Blaster250x
04-02-2002, 07:34 PM
Zerk fittings my friend,zerk fittings!

coryatver
04-02-2002, 08:29 PM
i am pretty sure the bearings and bushings are sealed so you don't need zerks.

Tread70
06-30-2004, 05:59 PM
Can't you use a needle to inject the grease into the ball joint itself since there isnt any zirk fittings? Seems a little old school but should work.

Tread

Rip_Tear
06-30-2004, 06:37 PM
you'd think by now people would realise that Honda isn't into that kinda thing :p Besides then all Honda would have is people complaining about broken seals....

Tread70
06-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Well, that is the way they used to grease old car ball joints before they had zirk fittings. I don't see why it wouldn't work if u use a small needle. It shouldn't bust out any boots or anything. A small needle size hole won't bust or blow out any boots.

Tread

rooster300ex
07-05-2004, 09:17 AM
Honda has sealed bearings etc.

miken
07-07-2004, 12:10 PM
I have added grease using a small plastic injection style needle. I think it was for measuring medicine for babies. Anyway a red tube that comes with a can of WD40 (or carb cleaner etc.) will fit between the ball joint dust boot and shank (I think its called the shank?). I superglued the red tube into the injection needle and it worked. Very hard to depress the needle and it just adds grease inside the boot and not really worth the effort. I bought 2 Zerks but don't dare drill into the top of the ball joint because they look like they would interfere, so I gave up.
Mike -

haywire4130
07-09-2004, 11:47 AM
grease attracts dirt and sand, and when mixed they turn into an abrasive paste that destroys everything. unless you park your quad in a lake every night or go apesheet with a pressure washer every day, there's no need to grease balljoints etc. the carrier bearings are sealed and if you tap a zerk in there, you're wasting your time and making a mess. the grease will never even see the balls in there. honda is smart, know this!

Sc0
07-12-2004, 08:06 AM
the carrier bearings are sealed and if you tap a zerk in there, you're wasting your time and making a mess.

So that applies to aftermarket carriers with sealed bearings and grease fittings? Sealed or non-sealed Grease will get out or get in, although a very slow process.

As for Ball Joints, most people have a tendency to over grease and over time the boots will start to rip, of course most people don't sell the boots but rather the entire ball joint. If people know what they are doing perhaps remove the rubber boot clean out the old grease, regrease then install the rubber boot with new safety wire. The A-arms, steering stem bottom mount, and the swingarm pivot bolt could use a grease fittings.

TRX300X
07-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Having seald bearings is another way to keep the service part of a dealership rolling. If they are not servicable that also means that the service life may be shortened thus needing replacement. Service departments of dealerships roll in some mad money my friends. I know, I work at one :D

Myrtle150
07-15-2004, 03:14 PM
lol yea it does make them some money. thats why me and my friend always have at least one bike torn down in our garages lubin up the bearings to save people money :D