PDA

View Full Version : Sticking Rear Break Lever

qiknis
07-18-2004, 09:34 PM
My rear brake lever has seized up. I suspect riding on the beach has caused it to rust and stick.

I removed the the cotter pin, and master cylinder linkage. Then removed the cotter pin that holds the foot brake lever on. I am not able to slide the brake lever out of the frame. What am I missing? Yes, I've tried the bigger hammer approach!

03 400ex

Thanks,

Steve

JOEX
07-18-2004, 11:19 PM
I had the same problem, right after I installed a new set of pads, toasted them in less than 10 minutes:(

It did take awhile to get the lever free. I don't remember exactly what I did other than spraying it with WD-40 and working it back and forth through the full range of motion.

Using a pry bar to apply outward pressure while moving it up and helped a great deal.

It'll come come off eventualy;)

qiknis
07-19-2004, 09:57 AM
At least I know i'm on the right track. I'll keep pounding away at it.

Thanks JOEX.

zephead400ex
07-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by qiknis
I'll keep pounding away at it.

Words of wisdom right there. When it is tight, keep poudning at it, it will go:devil:

insaneracin2003
07-19-2004, 01:07 PM
i used a small flat head screwdriver and beat the chit out of mine between the frame and lever,then stepped up to a thicker screw driver as i pried the lever away from the frame.
after you get it off,you might want to check it real close to see if the lever is not bent,or to be on the safe side,order a new one from somewhere.