PDA

View Full Version : 416, cam, pipe, filer, no lid... jetting.

Florida400EX
07-18-2004, 08:54 PM
I have a JE 416 kid at 10.8:1 on the compression, WB track cam (exact same as GT thunder), Full Pro Circuit Exhaust, Twin air Filter, and no airbox lid. Currently, I run the stock piston and cam, but my new piston and cam will be put in on friday. As of now I run a 158 on the main with just the Pro circuit pipe, filter, and no lid, and it has just a TINY backfire, which i think is just where you want it to be. I am at sealeval. What should my jetting be at now?

questionable33
07-18-2004, 09:10 PM
158 or 160 is prolly good for now but ide say whenever you go with an oversized piston i would upgrade the carb to a better carb and a bigger one. your jetting now probably is good

Florida400EX
07-18-2004, 09:19 PM
I have the JE 416 in the mail from C&D, and I already have the cam here. What should my jetting be with the JE 416 10.8:1, WB track cam, Full Pro Circuit pipe, Twin Air filter, no airbox lid.

RIGHT NOW all i have on there is a full pro circuit pipe, twin air filter, and now lid and I am running a 158 main and a 42 pilot. How much bigger should I go on the main jet once I install the JE 416 10.8:1 piston, and the WB track cam?

Kilabanshee
07-18-2004, 09:40 PM
162 with the needle on the 3rd clip;)

cals400ex
07-19-2004, 01:04 AM
i would go with a 160 and needle clip in 4th position. i would definately run the needle clip in the 4th position for the colder months. if you leave it in the 3rd position, it should run fine. however, your headers will glow like heck when your between 1/8-3/4 throttle.

hondarider2006
07-19-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i would go with a 160 and needle clip in 4th position. i would definately run the needle clip in the 4th position for the colder months. if you leave it in the 3rd position, it should run fine. however, your headers will glow like heck when your between 1/8-3/4 throttle.

I don't have a full system....but with my 416 and hot cam, I am running a 175mj with an open lid. Plug is about perfect, if not a little lean. I also left my clip on the 3rd and the headers don't glow;)

cals400ex
07-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
I don't have a full system....but with my 416 and hot cam, I am running a 175mj with an open lid. Plug is about perfect, if not a little lean. I also left my clip on the 3rd and the headers don't glow;)

yeah, everyone has their own specs. i know it would be colder where you live thus the air would be more dense. so, you would need to run a little bigger jetting than me given our elevation levels are about the same. the open lid does make a difference too with jetting.

i still say your too big, but everyone has their own technique. we would just loose too much top speed with a 175 in. also, with a 175 in, ours would probably studder at top speed or at high rpms. hey, we know you won't be running too hot with that mainjet in at full throttle anyways. :D

i want you to ride your bike at night at just cruise around at 1/4 throttle. turn your headlights off for a brief second and see if your headers glow. if they don't, well kick me in the nuts and call me jimmy. my sparks headers would glow rteally bad when i left the clip in the 4th position. however, i think the sparks headers tended to glow worse than stock. maybe they were thinner stainless steel or something. the only thing i can think of is if your larger mainjet is masking the needles territory so they wouldn't glow between 1/8-3/4 throttle.

anyways, i am interested in seeing if they do glow or not. :)

Florida400EX
07-19-2004, 12:09 PM
ok, I'll give the 160 main a try, and tinker around with the air screw.. and I'll set the clip at the 4th position.

thanks cals

cals400ex
07-19-2004, 12:37 PM
try it out and see how it works. if something doesn't seem right, it wouldn't be that hard to change. however, that is the jetting i ran in my 406 and i had good success.

hondarider2006
07-20-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
yeah, everyone has their own specs. i know it would be colder where you live thus the air would be more dense. so, you would need to run a little bigger jetting than me given our elevation levels are about the same. the open lid does make a difference too with jetting.

i still say your too big, but everyone has their own technique. we would just loose too much top speed with a 175 in. also, with a 175 in, ours would probably studder at top speed or at high rpms. hey, we know you won't be running too hot with that mainjet in at full throttle anyways. :D

i want you to ride your bike at night at just cruise around at 1/4 throttle. turn your headlights off for a brief second and see if your headers glow. if they don't, well kick me in the nuts and call me jimmy. my sparks headers would glow rteally bad when i left the clip in the 4th position. however, i think the sparks headers tended to glow worse than stock. maybe they were thinner stainless steel or something. the only thing i can think of is if your larger mainjet is masking the needles territory so they wouldn't glow between 1/8-3/4 throttle.

anyways, i am interested in seeing if they do glow or not. :)

Well cal....there are two problems with this. First of all its daylight almost all day long, and its not cold here, around 80-90 durning the day. And it doesn't stutter on top, it pulls hard. I might even be a little lean, it does run a little hot, but it should seeing as how I went up to a 416 now.

cals400ex
07-20-2004, 04:52 PM
well i guess there is no need to change anything then. :)

Woodsrider
07-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Cals400ex, you have to remember he is in alaska, if you look at a map there is a big elevation difference between there and Illinois, just look how much higher he is than you:huh LOL

Im just goofin off dont pay no attention to me. Its interesting to see how differently every one sets up thier machines for nearly the same conditions. I like to read these threads they're pretty informative;)

cals400ex
07-20-2004, 11:57 PM
yeah, i figured his elevation was different there, but i did mention elevation levels earlier in the post. also, i thought with being in alaska it might be colder than 90 degrees. however, he is running leaner on the needle clip position and richer on the mainjet. so, even though the temp and elevations differ, our jetting differs significantly too. like you mentioned though, we all set up our bikes differently.

Steve-o 400EX
07-21-2004, 02:52 PM
Your going to jump about 3 jet sizes from stock. Jetting is different depending on you altitude and weather conditions. try that and do a plug check until its perfect. I run a 155 main in my 416 and its right on for 45 min north of philly.