PDA

View Full Version : wont start clicking noise

trx300ex rider7
07-18-2004, 07:47 PM
When i go to start the 4 wheeler all i get is a cicking noise, then it went to one click, But i pushed started and it worked.

Fuchs42
07-18-2004, 07:54 PM
Lol that really fast clicking noise is your (damn whats that thing called that hook to the pos battery cable?) oh yeah solenoid trying to work but it doesn't have enough energy. That noise simply means your battery is close to dead, and needs charged either by a charger or riding the quad for a while...

davetx
07-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Are you still having problems?

If it's a single click and then everything goes dead. There is something going on with your starter or battery. The single click is your starter relay switch. If you get a single click and then everything dies, it is working correctly. The starter relay cuts all electrical power and sends it to the starter when you hit the starter button. If your battery is charged then look at your starter. I just had this identical problem and it ended up being the contact brushes in the starter.

Toadz400
07-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Also if you ever have a problem with your solenoid not working, just tap it with a screwdriver or your finger...it'll start up right after that. But you won't hear a click if the solenoid isn't working.

That's been happening to me a lot lately, I guess I should probably order a new solenoid or something pretty soon.

trx300ex rider7
07-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Now i am not even getting a green light

davetx
07-24-2004, 09:40 PM
When the starter relay is tripped, you won't get a green light, you will not have any power because it is all being fed to the starter.

trx300ex rider7
07-24-2004, 09:45 PM
so what do i need to do

davetx
07-24-2004, 10:36 PM
Here is some of the best starter trouble shooting I found on exriders

Originally posted by White_Knuckles
The "click" is a good thing and may eliminate the solenoid. When the starter button is pressed the solenoid clicks and as a relay transfers the battery power to the starter motor through a heavy wire. Turn on the headlight and hit the button, if the lamp dims down the starter may be pulling all the current yet not rotating. If the lamp remains bright the solenoid is not pulling in and transfering power like a bad internal solenoid contact. Check all connections and if still isolating you may jumper or "hot wire" the starter by using a heavy wire (like an automotive jumper cable) directly from battery positive to the starter (heavy wire post) connection. Just touch it and there should be a light spark flash and the starter should rotate. If it really arcs or sparks upon contact the starter is grounded out and needs attention. Starters (DC motors) have brushes and can wear out and fail. Wear a glove and never clip the jumper to the starter connection just touch it. If the starter spins go back to the solenoid as suspect and connections including frame ground points. Don't overlook fuse and fuse holder condition. If this doesn't make sense ask for assistance.