PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Sticking

Deathbringer
04-02-2002, 12:43 AM
I am having a problem with the rear brake (parking brake is still on the bike but I am going to take it off)... Anyway when I push it down with the foot pedal it sticks...kinda half way and doesn't want to come up all the way... The brake seems to work ok this way..it will lock the rear tires, but I don't like the rubbing of it when I am not using it. So is there someway to adjust this and keep it from happening again?? If you do have some ideas please be very descriptive as to how to fix it, thanks.

Leo
04-02-2002, 04:19 AM
sounds like there is some crud in the brake pedal pivot causing it to stick... what you need to do is pull the clip off the pedal pivot, take the pedal out of the frame and clean/lube the pedal pivot and the mount in the frame.

Leo

Deathbringer
04-02-2002, 09:21 AM
I will give that a try, anyone else got some ideas??

250EXChik29
04-02-2002, 09:29 AM
mine does the same thing.. when i press the foot brake down.. it likes to stick.. I usually hit it with my foot a couple times and it works ok again.. I think my problem is dirt... :p

Deathbringer
04-02-2002, 10:29 AM
Mine is very very very clean..so I am not sure why this happened..
I can push it down and pull it up all day and it will still stick..
:(

400ex99
04-05-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Deathbringer
Mine is very very very clean..so I am not sure why this happened..
I can push it down and pull it up all day and it will still stick..
:(
mine is doing the same thing, let me know what you find out, thanks.:)

Scott
04-05-2002, 05:54 AM
Sounds like it's time for you to do some trouble shooting. My first guess would be what Leo said. You could try disconnecting the brake lever from the hydraulic cylinder on the frame and work the pedal and see if it still sticks. If it does, you've eliminated everything from the brake cylinder back, so it's probably the pivot.

I would also recommend doing away with the parking brake and getting a block off plate ASAP, unless you own a brake pad supplier.

Wheelie
04-05-2002, 08:55 AM
Remove the brake lever from the frame and clean up the pivot shaft with emry cloth, also clean up the inside of the sleeve it slides into. Then proceed to lube it up with some heavy duty grease (wheel bearing grease works great) and reassemble. The sucka should work as good as new!

Deathbringer
04-05-2002, 10:35 AM
Yep the problem was in the joint on the bike. I took it apart and it seems as if the lube they used at the factory hardend. I had to use a wire grinder to get rid of it. And it actually took alot of grinding to get back down to the metal. Lubed it back up and it works like a charm.. thanks guys for the help.