PDA

View Full Version : Building a 440

440ex2001
07-18-2004, 06:15 PM
I am going to build a 440 using a 2003 bottom end 01 jug wiseco sleeve 11.1:1 piston and a 02 ported and polished head with a stage 1 cam. I am a trained outboard/inboard engine marine meachanic but I this will be my first attempt at a quad engine. I just wanted to see if you guys have any tips for to insure that everything comes out ok and the engine is reliable. I have a clymer manual any info will be great. I was also wondering what kind of performance can I expect out of this thing. I am running a white bros r-4 pipe. I am not really concerned with top speed I am looking for more bottom end midrange power butof course I will take all the top end I can get for bragging rights. Right now its runs about 65mph. How many mphs will these upgrades add? I know there are alot of variable but just a ball park figure.

devildriver422
07-18-2004, 06:24 PM
ive heard that 440s go about 80 idk tho...and as far as accel..they dont accell as fast as say a 426 cuz the piston is bigger and therefore harder to get going but theyre still fast

cals400ex
07-18-2004, 06:45 PM
for gaining more top end or low end, you will want to change the gearing. also, a 440 could use a more aggressive cam unless bottom end is your primary concern.

nakomis0
07-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Use your manual and you should have no problem.

All I can think of is get good gaskets. Use the thinner gaskets, and also the flex-gaskets. I think there cosmetic flex-steel. C&D has them.

07-18-2004, 11:58 PM
I love my Weisco 440. I have hundreds of miles on my engine and I believe it is because I used all the stock gaskets. The kit does not come with the o-ring at the base of the cylinder. Don't forget to put a new one on before you install the cylinder. I ran the crap out of my motor when I broke it in and it has never ben beaten by a Honda or a Raptor. You have to decied how you want to break yours in. The Yamahas and Preditors still kick my ***** but that is ok with me. I don't believe they would have a chance against me on tight mountain trails. Good luck with your engine.