PDA

View Full Version : Quick JD A-Arm Question

NacsMXer
07-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Hi everyone, I am reinstalling my A-Arms after being serviced at JD Performance. They came with new ball joints as well as the nylock lock nuts. I noticed however that my old ball joints connected to the spindle using a supplied washer and a nylon lock nut. My question is this: Is this washer necessary or can I simply use the supplied nylock lock nut alone? I checked the install guide on JD's website but it does not mention the use of any washers. It could be possible that I may have reused the washers from my stock A-Arms when I first purchased my JD's but I really cannot remember. Thanks in advance.
:confused:

TORO1968
07-19-2004, 08:33 AM
How do you like these a-arms? I've been thinking about getting a set along with one of their sweet tubular swingarms...

-Jordan

Ralph
07-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by TORO1968
How do you like these a-arms? I've been thinking about getting a set along with one of their sweet tubular swingarms...

-Jordan

i am very happy with the a-arms and their swingarm kicks *** too along with their great customer service.

NacsMXer
07-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Yeah the arms are sweet, but does anybody know if I need this washer or not? Thanks.

Cole Trane
07-19-2004, 04:30 PM
I didn't have any washers with mine. I'd either call JD or just not use the washers. They are quality made a arms with great customer service!!

TC426EX
07-19-2004, 07:40 PM
To answer your question, the Nylock nuts will hold themselves without the washers. For added peace of mind you could always run a set of regular lock washers on them but the Nylock should hold nice and tight with no problems at all. JD does make some quality looking A-arms but I have heard of NUMEROUS people cracking the tubular swingarms...

Ralph
07-19-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
i am very happy with the a-arms and their swingarm kicks *** too along with their great customer service.

i didnt get any, are u thinking about the bracket that holds rthe brakeline

NacsMXer
07-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by TC426EX
To answer your question, the Nylock nuts will hold themselves without the washers. For added peace of mind you could always run a set of regular lock washers on them but the Nylock should hold nice and tight with no problems at all. JD does make some quality looking A-arms but I have heard of NUMEROUS people cracking the tubular swingarms...
Thanks for the help, I was pretty sure just not %100. Was just afraid of gouging the spindle or something. Now im having trouble taking the broken ball joint stud out of my spindle, ive tried everything. I might use an air hammer on it tommorrow and see if that works.

INFANTRY RACING
07-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
but I have heard of NUMEROUS people cracking the tubular swingarms...

i'd like to see some pictures cause i highly doubt it. :rolleyes:

Cole Trane
07-20-2004, 05:57 PM
I second that^ notion!

Ralph
07-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Thanks for the help, I was pretty sure just not %100. Was just afraid of gouging the spindle or something. Now im having trouble taking the broken ball joint stud out of my spindle, ive tried everything. I might use an air hammer on it tommorrow and see if that works.

back sure u hit them out the right way because im almost positive they are tapered...

NacsMXer
07-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Yeah, youre right they are tapered Ralph. Just took the left side front end down to the spindle yesterday so I could put it in a vise to bust the ball joint out. It can get very frustrating when every bolt depends on another while trying to beat out the ball joint while still on the quad.

Ralph
07-21-2004, 12:28 PM
do this. take the spindle off completely with the broken stud in. put the spidle in a vice and use an extention through the free hole onto the broken stud and hit it like that. Some good solid hits should free it up.

NacsMXer
07-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks Ralph, thats exactly what I have going right now. My original plan was to remove the hub/disc so that I could get my ball joint splitter fork in further but after removing the hub nut, the hub and disc do not want to come off the spindle stud at all. Ill definitely try coming in from the top hole with a punch like you said and see if she'll break free. Thanks again for the friendly advice. :)