PDA

View Full Version : lt500

theyfctr
07-18-2004, 02:13 PM
does anyone have any info on the suzuki lt 500(quadzilla)

Cheese_Head
07-21-2004, 09:35 AM
Sure... They weigh 392lbs dry and they put out about 48-50 rwhp (wich is horrible for a 500cc two strokes engine), you can pipe and rejet a YFZ 450 and be close to that powerwise while being way lighter...Oh and by the way they are way slower than what the legend wants most of you guys to beleive!!!

Putt-Putt
07-27-2004, 07:40 PM
What would you like to know? I use to own an 87
and an 89 back in the early 90's One thing I can
tell you is don't listen to anyone who claims they
weren't fast. Its the fastest most powerful quad
ever made, past and present stock VS stock of course.

Butters
07-27-2004, 10:09 PM
i think they are awesome looking and yes they are fast.

boogiechile
07-28-2004, 07:25 AM
I had one for awhile. I rebuilt it with some mods and it was very fast. I did not like the handling though. Only 2 stroke I ever rode that pulled all the way through the rpm range like a good 4 stroke.

Pappy
07-28-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by boogiechile
I had one for awhile. I rebuilt it with some mods and it was very fast. I did not like the handling though. Only 2 stroke I ever rode that pulled all the way through the rpm range like a good 4 stroke.

i agree with that! that quad felt like it was ripping your arms off from 1st gear till she topped out in 5th. i loved my LT for having fun:macho

Putt-Putt
07-28-2004, 07:43 AM
Yes Boogies right, the power starts as soon as you
touch the gas, and yes you can lug it like a
4stroke but it has plenty of snap. If there was
such a thing as a 3stroke it would be the Zilla

nyceguy01
08-01-2004, 08:35 PM
hey cheese di*k
anytime you want to bring out any 450 ill run you anywhere on my lt for slips. hell ill even use my play bike and not the hillshooter. i should be able to get good money for your bike when i sell it

chet28
08-01-2004, 09:24 PM
ooooooo good 1

Cheese_Head
08-14-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by nyceguy01
hey cheese di*k
anytime you want to bring out any 450 ill run you anywhere on my lt for slips. hell ill even use my play bike and not the hillshooter. i should be able to get good money for your bike when i sell it

Lmao, I dont own a 450 and dont give a damn about them but a piped, jetted,cam modded YFZ 450 will give a stock Zilla a run for its money and in many cases beat it, now dont start to cry its just a fact...A 500cc 2 stroke ATV putting out 48-50Hp is pathetic, my 2 stroke 500cc ATV puts out 90-95HP on gas in a dune "play bike" form...Were you trying to impress anyone???

mikeminyard
08-14-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Cheese_Head
my 2 stroke 500cc ATV puts out 90-95HP on gas in a dune "play bike" form...Were you trying to impress anyone???

What kind of "play bike" do you have?

Cheese_Head
08-14-2004, 04:07 PM
Just a lil Banshee with a 7mm stroker crank along with a 72mm bore T-REX top end wich makes it a 496cc toy,its alot of fun.

cjracer
07-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Wow, pretty impressive.:rolleyes: How much did that set you back? Or did you do ALL the work yourself? Any one can send a motor in a shop to get built to the hilt if they have enough coin.:blah:

Banshees are fun and they do have there place and purpose, but Yamaha has been building them forever. Starting back when they were in street bikes. Suzuki spent major R&D $$$$ to put this quad together, unfortunately they got shut down before they could reap the benefits. Too bad it only lasted 3 years, imagine a 2005 LT500R. I'll take 2!!
BTW, a banshee only make 35-40 horse stock today and its a 350 2-stroke twin, pretty pathetic.:p That 10+ years of R&D time, but have they improved it at all. NO. KTM's new 250, four stroke, single bike makes the same hp.:D

MR.BIG
07-22-2005, 10:49 AM
I had 3 LT500 all set up with different mods. They are extremely fast and handle good but they are way to wide unless your out in the dunes or hayfields. They have tons of torque. The only bad thing is they vibrate but other than that fun as hell. As for the 450 beating it is possible. I am not talking about drag racing either.

LTandRaptorider
07-29-2005, 07:18 PM
May I refer you gentleman to the August 2005 issue of Dirtwheels? They bring back a shootout they did with the new 1987 LT500 versus the Banshee. That was... 18 years ago! :eek: And I was... never mind... :p Anyways, they tested both machines stock... They were even in the holeshot, and then... well, don't wanna spoil it! Buy the mag. I thought the article was pretty cool, brought back lots of memories. :cool:

bwamos
08-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Cheese_Head
a piped, jetted,cam modded YFZ 450 will give a stock Zilla a run for its money and in many cases beat it, now dont start to cry its just a fact...

Of course a modded 450 will give a STOCK bike a run for its money.

A piped, jetted,cam modded YFZ 450 will give a stock Banshee a run for its money and in many cases beat it.

Apples to oranges.

Will a piped, jetted,cam modded YFZ 450 will give a Piped, reeded, ported, head job, jetted LT500 a run for its money and in many cases beat it (in a straight line drag)??? I think not.

A LT500 was a torque monster in stock form.. but some fairly minor mods can make a HUGE difference on the LT500. It is a beast though.. I wouldn't want to MX it.. hehe.

I'm unbiased. I ride a weenie 330ex and I'd prefer the old TRX250R (modified). I just think a modified version of the on of the 2 best 4-strokes made today against a bone stock "corked" 2-stroke tuned for torque is an unfair comparison.

Stock for stock the LT500 was faster than your bone stock Banshee in a straight line drag.

However you mod them both to the bone... the LT500 is very fast.. but a modded banshe is faster no doubt. 2-cylinders. 2x the ignitions. A no brainer really. The 1 massive cylinder means the LT500 will always be a torque monster. The 2 means the Banshee will be a high rev HP machine.