PDA

View Full Version : 450r Engine stuttering.

450rEdge
07-18-2004, 11:51 AM
First let me say I'm not referring at all to the rev limiter and stuttering when you hit it. I rode for several hours this weekend in 90 degree heat at some local sand hills and drags. It seems as though the bike, once heat soaked runs rich. Once topping a hill it may stutter a little bit, possibly even die. The bike is totally stock, still on its 4th tank of gas.

Also, I seem to have a rattle, knock type noise. When idling it sounds like a knock, similar to the one you hear when you bog with too few rpms but its a steady knock sound. When running first and second at mid rpm across the sand, with the bike hoppign up and over ruts and stuff damned if it doesnt seem the engine knocks then too, maybe its in the gearbox.

Also, I am having a very hard time finding neutral. I've never shifted without using the clutch. Second doesnt seem as smooth to get into as it was when new, in fact no gear does. Possibly because I havent had the original oil changed?

Anyhow, let me know any ideas. All input is appreciated..

rap169
07-18-2004, 01:51 PM
i dunno bout the stuttering, maybe too low of an rpm. These engines dont like to lug around in stock form. After my pipe went on it seemed alot better for lugging around. The knock sound seems normal. Try turning the idle screw up a bit and see if that helps it go away. The transmission im not sure. Mine seems fine other than the fact i seem to always miss second gear.

RedRaider
07-18-2004, 03:07 PM
If it's stuttering it's probably running rich like you said. If it just now started doing it you may want to try cleaning your air filter first before you start changing stuff.

Stealth450r
07-18-2004, 04:09 PM
about the sluttering im haveing the same problem. first i thought i had water in the gas so i drained that and put a new spark plug and air filter, but it still does it.im bring my quad to the dealership so tey can fix it. it is pissing me off because i was jumpin a double and it cut out and i nose dived into the face of the landed and got flip off and my quad did a complete flip and landed back on all fours. because of this problem i bent my bumper and ball joint.

MY450R
07-19-2004, 09:42 AM
ive also had a simillar prob but i figured mine is running to lean
so i jetted it and its much better
however i was talking to the service guy where i bought it and he said that from the factory they run right on the border of being lean
that is until you change something (airflow,pipe etc)then it will def be lean
as far as the knocking that doesnt seem right
as far as the oil change
CHANGE IT ASAP i changed mine after the 1st tank then after
2 more tanks and then after 5 tanks or 20 hours
let me tell you after the 1st change that oil was BLACK BLACK
when new change it after the first tank definatly
you maY find the knocking goes away

07-19-2004, 01:25 PM
yes...before i change my oil & letting it warm up to let the oil drain faster my engine sounds like it has a loud ticking noise....after I drain the oil & add new stuff in & start it again the noise seems to have gone almost completely away but it only stays this way for a short period of time...is this my rings? is this normal?

quadjeff
07-19-2004, 01:32 PM
On the sputtering take a look at your filter and make sure it is clean. Also I adjusted my idle a and that helped. A easy way to see if you are too lean look at the inside of the exhaust tip and see what color it is. White looking with very little black is too lean. That will make it sputter. You want a nice mix of black. Not to dark just a light color.

I change my oil after every race. Two days of riding totaling only a few hours. Try bel-ray Gear saver... It works really good and helped me elimante that neutral issue. Change the oil alot. I can ride 5-6 hours really hard now with the bel-ray and it still is red and does not smell like it is burnt.

john cunningham
07-19-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Stealth450r
about the sluttering im haveing the same problem. first i thought i had water in the gas so i drained that and put a new spark plug and air filter, but it still does it.im bring my quad to the dealership so tey can fix it. it is pissing me off because i was jumpin a double and it cut out and i nose dived into the face of the landed and got flip off and my quad did a complete flip and landed back on all fours. because of this problem i bent my bumper and ball joint. hey boss save your time honda wont do **** for you / there are several of us in my area have the exact same trouble / whats going to happen when one of us get seriously hurt do to their problem they claim isnt there / just read all the posts everyone has some complaint or another

XC250R
07-24-2004, 06:38 AM
Mine would stuuter going up hills also. After the switch to the 13th front the stutter went away, along with my topend.

I believe it is just the gearing.

Pappy
07-24-2004, 06:42 AM
i will agree that a clean air filter on the R is a must. the dirtier it gets the worse the problem becomes.

i believe the root of the problem lies in the carb design, but im not engineer so i cant explain it any further then that.

after a pipe is installed the problem doesnt rear its head unless the filter is dirty...atleast on mine so far

ajr400ex
07-24-2004, 09:02 AM
I have a 13T front sprocket with the HRC kit and have not noticed this problem. I also turned the idle up a bit and keep the air filter clean. I agree with Pappy - a pipe change and jetting should help.

john cunningham
07-24-2004, 05:24 PM
we keep finding small plastic particals in the main and or pilot jet / we have also installed a inline filter and they keep coming / there is two small plastic bushings in the carb shaft l think they are flaking or shaving during use / so next things most likely going to ba an aftermarket set up / honda is like talking to the wall / of course its my fault due to the ims tank and other mods we have made