PDA

View Full Version : degree key/timing key???

quader400
07-17-2004, 09:05 PM
first question is a degree and timing key the same thing?

second question if so what does it do if not what does each do how do you benifit from it and what does it do to provide gains?

thanks.

khen
07-17-2004, 09:15 PM
They are the same thing. It advances the timing 6 degrees on the 400EX. It is supposed to give you a little low to mid power and make it so it revs quicker.

I've never tried one but from what I've read some people notice little to no improvement while others say it is a noticable improvement.

For $20 it's a pretty cheap mod, I'm thinking of getting one myself.

dynofox
07-18-2004, 08:47 PM
I've been thinking of getting one also. Anyone else have any experience with the timing advance mod?

phireboi
07-18-2004, 09:07 PM
i dont have experience with them but i've heard that they make your engine run hotter but i think its only a problem with built engines a engine with just a pipe probaly wouldn't effect it.

spiderrider04
07-18-2004, 10:37 PM
i have one and i couldn't tell a difference.some people have said that they could tell a difference. they aren't recommended for big bore kits because like what was said, it will make it run hotter.

nakomis0
07-19-2004, 09:22 AM
They are not recommended on big bore kits, but thats just a recommendation and I think its because they wanna be on the safe side.

I run one on a 440 and It has alot better throttle response. I'm not sure about the heat issue. I habe the FST extra oil cooler mod, and an oil temp. gauge and I never noticed a difference.

I do have an extra Sparks degree key to sell if anyone wants one. $16 shipped.

wilkin250r
07-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by quader400
first question is a degree and timing key the same thing?

second question if so what does it do if not what does each do how do you benifit from it and what does it do to provide gains?

thanks.

So, you know that it advances the timing by 6 degrees, but you still haven't gotten a good answer to your question "what is it?"

Your ignition timing depends on two main aspects. One is your trigger, and the other we will just call the "processing time", in much the same manner as a computer microprocessor. Since the key does not affect the processing time at all, we won't go into it except to say that this is where aftermarket ignition systems benifit.

The trigger is fired off a little bump on your flywheel that passes a magnetic pickup. The flywheel and crankshaft are locked together with a key, so the trigger always passes the pickup at a specific piston position. But what would happen if we moved the bump? It would change the ignition timing. This is almost how the degree key works. The stock key locks the flywheel in a certain location. The aftermarket degree key is a special design that locks the flywheel in a different location than stock. How different? It is advanced by 6 degrees. As a result, the trigger is advanced by 6 degrees, so the spark is advanced by 6 degrees.

khen
07-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
I do have an extra Sparks degree key to sell if anyone wants one. $16 shipped.
If it has the flywheel puller that came with it I'll take it.