PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Re-installation question

NTPracing22
07-17-2004, 05:22 PM
I found a thread by Quadzilla from a while back that explained it perfect...

" put everthing together (new basket, plates, springs, etc) and put the cover on and made sure that the arm was catching the lifter pin inside. I did not seem to work. I pulled the cover back off and notice that the lifter pin (the thing with the nipple that goes into the basket area behind the bearing) moves in and out of the basket about 1/2" inch or so with free play. Is this normal? Does not seem right."

thanks for any help!

Ralph
07-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Where is your problem? i see what u quoted but try to clarify, if it is that lifter pin yes, i almost clearly remember it having some play in it. When you put ur case back on i believe you are supposed to move the clutch arm all the way counter-clock wise. then slip it on and put it back and it should catch. Let me know if it helps.

NTPracing22
07-17-2004, 07:09 PM
i can get the case back on and the arm catches, but the cable can't pull it because it's already out of travel (won't spin clockwise anymore)

NTPracing22
07-18-2004, 10:30 AM
bump, anyone have an idea of whats goin on? I've been taking it appart and putting it back together over and over, what am i doin wrong? thanks

Ralph
07-18-2004, 11:10 AM
k try this, pull the little pin out, on ur case rotate the little clutch arm, wich the cable connects to, to the left(Counter Clockwise) it should go out pretty far. Then slip the on and turn the arm to the right(clockwise) and it should catch. If this doesnt work ill try to dig up my clymer and find it for u.

NTPracing22
07-18-2004, 07:28 PM
I tried that and it does catch when i put it back on, but when i hook the cable up to it and try to pull the clutch lever on the bars, it feels like the clutch is all locked up because the arm has no forward (clockwise) travel when it's hooked up.

thanks for all the help

Fuchs42
07-18-2004, 07:46 PM
I had this similar problem on my 300ex. When I put it all back together, the clutch had no pull.... You could move the little arm and it would hit nothing. When I was to pull the clutch lever on the bars it would pull in so easy and not even retract back out. I couldn't figure mine out but if anyone has any advice let me know maybe I will go get it from the shop because they haven't look at it yet... Hope it turns out good.... Give us some advice dudes!!! thanks

Ralph
07-18-2004, 08:32 PM
did u install the clutch right?

Fuchs42
07-19-2004, 01:22 AM
yeam im pretty sure it's all right.... friction steel friction etc fiber plates on the outside all lined up... soaked em in oil for a while its all right as far as i know

07-19-2004, 06:31 AM
i think its steel, friction, steel, friction & then the last steel goes on the different groove...right?

Quadzilla
07-19-2004, 07:31 AM
For starters, the plates go in friction first and friction last while alternating in between (friction, steel, friction, steel, etc). All I did to fix my problem (quoted all the way at the top) was to pull everything apart again and put it back together. The only difference was that before I put the clutch cover back on, I made sure that the pin with the nipple on the end (extending out from the basket) was pulled all the way out towards the cover. I then VERY CAREFULLY put the clutch cover on while holding the pin on that one in place so the latch pin lined up so the nipple pin from the basket would slide in. Once in place, I held the cover with one hand and manipulated the clutch arm until I felt it catch and it felt like it was manipulating the basket and plate. I put a few bolts on the cover, tested it with the cable and it worked.

I think that the trick is to have that pin extended out from the basket and to line everything up very carefully when putting the cover back on.

NTPracing22
07-19-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Quadzilla
I think that the trick is to have that pin extended out from the basket and to line everything up very carefully when putting the cover back on.

i'll give that a try in a bit and let you know how it works, thanks a lot!

400ex men
07-19-2004, 11:24 AM
i get my girl friend to suck my d*** in between races

Quadzilla
07-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by 400ex men

WTF? :rolleyes: :confused:

07-19-2004, 11:56 AM
i get my girl friend to suck my d*** in between races did it help fix your clutch?

NTPracing22
07-19-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
did it help fix your clutch?

if it did let me have a turn, I can't figure this **** out at all.

when you look at the motor from the side say that the pipe is 12 oclock. WHen my side case is back on and i turn the clutch arm clockwise it only gets a little past 11 before it stops. If i remember correctly it went a lot further, like in the 2 oclock area.

im about ready to put it together and push it off a cliff, i'm sure it'd mess it up more, but it'd sure make me feel better!:D

Pappy
07-19-2004, 12:35 PM

damn she did mine while you were racing...busy lil' girl:devil:

NTP....did you overtighten the springs?

and is the small spring in the notched area?

Ralph
07-19-2004, 01:26 PM
if it goes to 11 its fine, put on the cable and adjust everything...

NTPracing22
07-19-2004, 02:35 PM
To be honest with ya, i have no idea what i was thinking. I thought i should be able to pull it past 11 with my fingers (to disengage the clutch). I was doing it right the entire time, damn i feel stupid. lol

400exman, thank your girlfreind for me, she got my clutch workin;)

Fuchs42
07-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Well the guys at the shop called me, i guess i broke a little nipple off the pressure plate when i was riding. So that makes me feel a lot better about my mechanical skills becuase I try to be a pretty good mechanic... Hope yours turns out alright also..