PDA

View Full Version : yfz/gas gas

sbemail
07-17-2004, 05:04 PM
I have heard that the yfz need some stuff done to ride it on the track.I don't thaink so.I have a yfz and it is fine on or off track. I took it to southern Ohio and climbed rocks, jumped it many times, and race it. The only problem was a dead battery. As for the gas gas. I saw a yfz (stock) smoke a gas gas dispite the fine tuning the gas gas had. The yfz also has better handling and the a-arm is fine. How may A-arms have broke?
Please reply if you have any info.

Splatter Matter
07-17-2004, 05:19 PM
sounds good to me. but i never road a gasgas

RunninWILD
07-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Hey guys...I am not sure what GasGas you raced but I have one and I can tell you that a stock yfz does not beat a GG450 stock. The GG and yfz win each about half the time when the yfz has the baffle out and airbox lid off. With a pipe and jet kit the yfz is consistently faster in a drag. I still win around the track because I can go faster in the bumps.

As far as handling, there is no comparison to the GG. The ohlins are clearly much better than the kayabas and that is from the owner of the yfz.

Just thought I would let you know from someone who has one and raced.

Out_Sider
07-19-2004, 03:36 PM
yfz will need a swing arm before you can even race, they crack like potatoe chips

dsracer666
07-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
yfz will need a swing arm before you can even race, they crack like potatoe chips

what do you mean I only know 25 or 30 guys that broke theres.:rolleyes:

dsracer666
07-19-2004, 07:17 PM
by the way the gasgas WILL be my next quad!:devil:

lt250r91
07-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by dsracer666
by the way the gasgas WILL be my next quad!:devil:

I got a 03 GasGas 300 setup for GNCC racing that is forsale. If your interested in a used one. For details (if interested) PM.

dsracer666
07-19-2004, 09:06 PM
the 300 is useless for me, i need a 450 4 stroke or a 250 2 stroke.

lt250r91
07-20-2004, 05:09 AM
the 300 is useless for me, i need a 450 4 stroke or a 250 2 stroke.

I under stand that. Do to class restrictions the 300 is only allowed in open classes.

GasGas does offer a 240 2-stroke or even a 240 kit to detune the 300. From what I've heard the 240 is just as strong as the 300. It just all depends on which you prefer 2-stroke to 4-stroke.

If you have any questions about GasGas or who to talk to dealer wise or any contacts with in GasGas or Aftermarket wise. Feel free to ask. I do know a decent percentage of people involved with GasGas.

theyfctr
07-20-2004, 09:26 AM
actually the yfz has better handling and will be a GG on a track or drag. The GG has better suspension though.

quadmx7
07-20-2004, 03:17 PM
i was not impressed at all with the GG 300 but i havent had the chance to race the GG450 yet. where can i get some info on this machine.

Cole Trane
07-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Do a search for gas gas atv on google.

07-20-2004, 08:09 PM
by the way the gasgas WILL be my next quad!:devil: man are u seriouse ,,,,,, why??????????????? whats wrong w/ your ds????:rolleyes:

Cole Trane
07-20-2004, 08:10 PM
DS= heavy ***** mofo-in four wheeler!

lt250r91
07-21-2004, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by quadmx7
i was not impressed at all with the GG 300 but i havent had the chance to race the GG450 yet. where can i get some info on this machine.

Here is GasGas's offical US website:
http://www.gas-gas.net/

dsracer666
07-21-2004, 08:35 PM
911- I keeping the ds I just want a 450 quad too. but its easy'er for me to buy a quad set up, then to come up with 4 grand cash for suspension.

RunninWILD
07-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Plus you get hydraulic clutch, nerfs, steel braided brake lines. and bembo dual pison brakes that are the best.

Add to that skids, maxxis razors, and efi. And you havent had to twist a single bolt.

I will put up pics of mine after the race this weekend if anyone wants to see them.

brazilian rider
07-21-2004, 09:43 PM
The GG handling is a joke! I just can`t steer it.
The suspension is better tough

RunninWILD
07-21-2004, 09:48 PM
You have to put a small shim in the steering stem. It is too tight. It makes a world of difference. I just had my a-arms taken in about 2in and the shock mount moved in a little and it steers fantastic now.

I have a denton damper on order for tomorrow and then it will steer perfectly.

Easy fix. it is very stiff the way it comes because they are ridden on the street in spain. But when you are going 78mph it does not shake at all and is great stock.

Dont know yet with the mods if it is still that stable at that speed.

Will let you know after the weekend.

AndreS
07-22-2004, 01:17 AM
runninwild- good to see you here! made any updates on the website lately? i've got pics from the longview WORCS & local GP race on ORC, can provide links if you want...

Back on topic-
the shims needed on the steering go between the two sides of the pillow block (upper mount), they need to be about 0.010" to 0.015" thick
i've been running races in my region and have had some good results & some bad, that's racing... i've added a graydon steering damper, it does help, however i believe that the steering still has some issues that need resolved, mainly caster angle... this causes the steering to pull back to center slightly more. the quad is very stable at speed though... i've had it topped out in a couple races. i'm still running stock A-arms, but also switched to 4+1 wheels, which also helped.

the stock shocks of the GG need some work. i sent mine to MX-tech, they increased travel & set them up with better valving & zero preload springs.

i've done a ton of other mods too, most are to set up for racing.

RunninWILD
07-22-2004, 07:04 AM
Hey Andre, Havent done many updates lately. I had my shocks set up at mx-tech as well. YOu are right about the caster angle on the stock a-arms. I have a friedn here that has a 04GG300 and he has someone who is modifying the stock a-arms to solve the problems. We are moving the shock mount and lowering it which will change the caster angle. He had it done to his already and it worked great. We shortened them as well so they ar 49" with 3:2 wheels and 47" with 4:1. We are racing MX right now until XC starts back.

Our suspension is the best now. Once I get my a-arms back tomorrow like his it should be perfect. I will let you know and send you some pics so you can see. We have a machine shop that will do it for you if you want. NOw that we have the pattern if what works. It is alot less than new a-arms. You know the stock ones are hevy duty arms and tie rods they just need some adjustment.

If you want to send a some race pics I will start a GG race page and put them up with ours.

Might see you at a race soon.

chad cavagnaro
07-22-2004, 05:10 PM
in august of 03 i bought a g.g. 450. had some severe trouble with the starting of the quad, kept pre detonating and would stop the piston while the starter woul keep going- sheered the starter clutch twice. well i only got to ride it about 5 times out of about 6 mos. of ownership. a ton of other problems too. i would advise poeple to really do there homework befor buying a 450.
only my advice!! take for what is worth. ande s, i believe has the spin on gas cap from my quad [ it was never used because we could not fix my quad] g.g. ended up refunding my money and i bought a yfz 450 that has only had routone maint done to it and wear and tear from raceing. although i enjoyed the g.g when it was running so- no downtalking here just the truth about my experience. just had a friend buy the 300 and we will drag when we can get together to ride, keep ya posted:macho

Dunlap
07-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Every thing has been fix on the new 450's and are a real good buy for what you get. I built mine to a 500cc and there is nothing that will come close to it not even my 500r which smokes my 470 YFZ. Plus with some revalving of the shocks it out handles everything also.

07-22-2004, 08:26 PM
yo chris Mickey says you'll have a winner!! susp is y i bought the r, and it was worth every $:D :D

chad cavagnaro
07-23-2004, 12:31 PM
hey mickey,
why is no one raceing your gas gas this year? and if they are who is it? i know who it was set up for and why they are not, but it seems like such a nice quad would be raceing. i also understand that not all of the gg 450's were having the same problem mine had but there were quite a few that did. i actually spoke with several gg reps that said not all of them were having this problem. i quess yours did not have the problem mine did, not sure? for the average quad guy who doesnt fix quad motors for a living, 9,000.00 plus is too much to pay for it, unless it is guarenteed not to have these problems, i do know the value of everything you get for your money, also but if your a cross country racer it is not quite complete is it.. why do these same issues keep comming up on this product? when i read in magazines about the new gas gas it says nothing of the problem fixed, that i had. please understand this thread is not a challenge to yours, just want to stay informed of the quad i wanted to work out for me!:)

rollie
07-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider

haha nice comparison lol :p