PDA

View Full Version : Do you need axle with long A-arms?

rr4406pak
07-17-2004, 12:26 PM
I have a 2001 400EX and I want to put +1 a-arms on it to get better handling.

Do I have to get a +2 rear axle to match?

Can I stick with the stock axle? What are the consequences of this?

Thanks!

Tommy 17
07-17-2004, 12:50 PM
i ran a +1 front end with a stk axle for a year with no problems... handled just fine... but when i put on a axle it really helped out alot... but a stk axle and a +1 front end is still alot better then stock...

Chanman420q
07-17-2004, 07:08 PM
i had +2s and stock axle and to me cornering was difficult, the front wanted to slide more than the rear. evenutally u get used to it

1badex
07-19-2004, 01:41 PM
i have +3 longtravel a-arms with +3 lsr axle and cornering is a dream. i think it is fun to go around a long turn just to see how long i can powerslide. it spins out before it will tip over cause it is so wide.

Tommy 17
07-19-2004, 05:42 PM
same thing with my +1 front and +3.5 rear end and my SSD shocks... i can literally slide as much as i want... blow dounutz anywhere and it'll spin out b4 it'll flip... its fun bc i can slide everywhere... i can't wait till the winter on some ice:devil: :blah:

wilkin250r
07-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Getting a wider axle isn't absolutely necessary. Obviously it would be better to get a wider axle, but it's not a requirement.

Everything is a compromise. A wider wheelbase give you more stability and more wheel travel, but it has a few drawbacks. A narrow wheelbase makes the quad "nimble", better in tight trails and woods.

By getting wider a-arms, you are losing a little of that "nimble" aspect of your quad, and gain a little in stability. But your quad would be even more stable with an extended axle to go along with your a-arms. So, while your quad will still ride just fine and perform just fine, by not getting an extended axle you are losing one aspect (nimble) but not FULLY taking advantage of another aspect (stability).

400racer1412
07-30-2004, 11:31 PM
it well make the quad more tipsy so to evan it out get some wheel spacers

rr4406pak
08-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Wow! I never thought of using wheel spacers! That is a great idea!

But won't that be dangerous when jumping? I hit some pretty big jumps. Won't that be alot of stress on the studs, hub and axle?

Or are one inch spacers so small of a distance that it would'nt make a difference? Have you used them on your quad?

Thanks...

Jingle 11
08-04-2004, 07:49 PM
NO WHEEL SPACERS! :eek2:

rr4406pak
08-05-2004, 08:46 AM
WHY?

REASONS PLEASE...

Thanks in advance...

boogiechile
08-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Everything is a compromise. A wider wheelbase give you more stability and more wheel travel, but it has a few drawbacks. A narrow wheelbase makes the quad "nimble", better in tight trails and woods.

I realize that you are one of the site tech gurus. More than 99.9% of you post posts are absolutely correct and I really have no position to correct you. But even though it is a minor detail of terminology, I thought I would point out that "wheelbase" refers to the length of the quad from center of frt wheel to center of rear wheel. "Track" is the proper term for the width.

Please except my apologies for the correction. I certainly did not mean anything negative by it and I appreciate your comments on the forum more than most.

Jingle 11
08-06-2004, 02:39 PM
somebody corrected wilson??? :eek:

4wheelboy
08-07-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by rr4406pak
WHY?

REASONS PLEASE...

Thanks in advance...

the reasons u already said they could break bend causing injury or damage. they are not meant for jumping;)

and omg sum1 corrected wilkin. but its only ok because it was boogiechile and what he did with that mojave is amzing:eek2:

FatBoy Racing
08-07-2004, 04:12 AM
I ran spacers for a while on my ex, and eventually I bent it when I came down kind of hard on the right side. Were I you, I'd stick with the stock axle until you can replace it with a wider aftermarket axle. Then you can still sell off a 'straight' axle rather than having to chuck it if you bend it.

Have fun