PDA

View Full Version : 400EX cam chain question - noisy after rebuild

nikejoe
07-17-2004, 10:44 AM
I did a search on this but can't find what I'm looking for.
Just rebuilt my 2001 416ex with a hotcam stage 2. It runs great, but is noisy. One of my friends that know some about motors keeps saying it's normal??? It get's better as it warms up.

So anyway another friend said to check the tensioner. I took it off and It seems good I can't push it back in. BUt here's the thing, when I went to put it back in. I didn't have to hold the tension back at all. It's like it's not out far enough to put much pressure on the cam chain guide???? So THat is where I am at I took the top end of the motor off down to the cam. Every thing looks fine??? Could it still be the tensioner, my dealership said they would have to order it and then the service guy said that he thought it would have to be something else???? Cam chain doesn't seem to be worn. It probably only has about 60hrs on the whole 4-wheeler. I just used it as a jet ski and had to rebuild it. Now here I am, Any help would be great!!! I have a BIG ride coming up next weekend, GREAT TIMING!!!!

Sorry for the long post!!! Thanks again!:confused: :confused: :confused:

cals400ex
07-17-2004, 11:26 AM
i would retract that tensioner and let it snap into place like the manual says. also, are your valves loose?? this would make some noise.

nikejoe
07-17-2004, 11:35 AM
No I've adjusted the valves, that was my first thought.
I can let it snap it into place, but something just does not seem right. I shouldn't be able to just set it in there, should I???

nikejoe
07-17-2004, 12:36 PM
So based on the fact that I can not push the plunger in on the tensioner, would you say it is good then??? Maybe I'm over analyzing this whole thing, but I am just trying to make sure that I do not damage my fresh motor. If something is wrong I want to find out what and get it fixed!!! Any other suggestions?:confused:

pitbull43910
07-17-2004, 12:48 PM
no you should have to turn the little flat head screw to pull the tensioner plunger back in hold it and bolt it on all at the same time it sounds to me that your timeing chain is streched "buy a aftermarket chain"

nikejoe
07-17-2004, 01:02 PM
What cam chain would you recomend??? Wit the mods listed in signature. Called my honda dealer and they said a stock chain was $89 dollars. I thought I saw where you could get one for $26. Does anyone else think this is my problem?????

jerry-89-250R
07-17-2004, 02:01 PM
honda 450f timing chain anywhere from 25-35$, local shop here get's 33$, have replaced several with them no problems

nikejoe
07-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Okay, but is the cam chain what you think my problem is???
That is my real question, what do you think is causing my ticking and could it be the tensioner or the chain or what????:confused:

pitbull43910
07-17-2004, 10:50 PM
just a chain they can go fast for no reason gt thunder makes a good chain

nikejoe
07-17-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by pitbull43910
just a chain they can go fast for no reason gt thunder makes a good chain

You think it is just stretched or what???

Do you have any idea where I can get one in a couple days. Obviously nothing is open Sunday, and I need it back together by next Friday!!!:eek2:

jerry-89-250R
07-18-2004, 08:48 AM
if you can put your tensioner in with it fully extended "meaning you don't have to put a screwdriver in the rear of it and re-tract it" your chain is shot. that's what the tensioner does, keeps the chain tight. if you have a honda dealer in your town he should have a cr-450f "any year" cam chain in stock, they work well in the 400 and cost 1/3 less

nikejoe
07-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Niether of the 2 hnda dealers have a stock 400ex chain or a crf450 chain????:confused:

Knips178
07-19-2004, 11:23 AM
go to service honda's web page and order a chain. You should check the plastic guides that hold tension on the cam chain as well. On mine i had a tensioner go bad and it was ticking, we found out later that the plastic guide was all chewed up and wasn't holding the chain right so the tensioner was fully extended and not keeping the chain tight. Pull one and check it for missing material.