PDA

View Full Version : Oil

DAB516
07-17-2004, 09:52 AM
Ok so I just got my 400ex acouple of weeks ago and I was told the previous owner was using a synthetic racing oil. I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of this oil are, and where and what type do I buy. I was also told that the sythetic oil gives the quad a nice humming sound kinda like that of a supercharged car but not as extreme is this true.

cals400ex
07-17-2004, 11:28 AM
the synthetic definately won't supercharge the bike. :D

the synthetic oils will last longer and will withstand high heat better. overall, it is a better oil. some aren't safe for wet clutches, so watch what you buy.

DAB516
07-17-2004, 06:09 PM
I know it won't supercharge it but its gives it the whin like on.

So what do I buy?

04'400ex'er
07-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Synthetic oil will not change the sound at all. Alot of people will tell you to use Mobile One Red Cap, but don't. Car oils are not formulated for a transmission. Just use Honda GN4 oil, will do you fine.

04EXdude
07-17-2004, 06:43 PM
I was thinking about using the Mobil 1 MX4T next change but man that stuff is expensive.

04'400ex'er
07-17-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 04EXdude
I was thinking about using the Mobil 1 MX4T next change but man that stuff is expensive. Don't use an autonobile oil. it is for a motor, not a motor and a transmission too.

Evan400ex
07-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
Synthetic oil will not change the sound at all. Alot of people will tell you to use Mobile One Red Cap, but don't. Car oils are not formulated for a transmission. Just use Honda GN4 oil, will do you fine.

Mobil 1 red cap is perfectly fine for a quad. It doesn't have any friction modifiers in it like other automobile synthetics. Also Honda GN4 is the worst oil i have ever used. Breaks down really fast if you ride hard. Stick to synthetics. I would recommend either the Mobil 1 or Amsoil which I use.

04EXdude
07-17-2004, 06:58 PM
Don't use an autonobile oil. it is for a motor, not a motor and a transmission too.

No man, MX4T is mobil 1's 4 stroke motorcycle oil. Its either a full synthetic or a blend (can't remember which) but the stuffs like $8 or $9 a quart or litre.

04'400ex'er
07-17-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Evan400ex
Mobil 1 red cap is perfectly fine for a quad. It doesn't have any friction modifiers in it like other automobile synthetics. Also Honda GN4 is the worst oil i have ever used. Breaks down really fast if you ride hard. Stick to synthetics. I would recommend either the Mobil 1 or Amsoil which I use. Sounds like you are a professional Mobile one red cap user. Correct me if i am wrong. I think I will just try and put oil that is DESIGNED for an atv engine in my fourwheeler. If you want to cut corners on your machine then feel free, but I am going to let everyone know what they are buying.

Evan400ex
07-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Sounds like you are a professional Mobile one red cap user. Correct me if i am wrong. I think I will just try and put oil that is DESIGNED for an atv engine in my fourwheeler. If you want to cut corners on your machine then feel free, but I am going to let everyone know what they are buying.

Like I said before. The mobil 1 red cap does not have any friction modifiers in it. So it is fine for wet clutch applications. The majority of the people on this web site use the Mobil 1 and all I have heard about it is good things. And it is not cutting corners on your machine. Synthetics are the best thing you can run in a quad. If anything your cutting corners using Honda GN4:rolleyes:

trxmaster
07-18-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Evan400ex
Like I said before. The mobil 1 red cap does not have any friction modifiers in it. So it is fine for wet clutch applications. The majority of the people on this web site use the Mobil 1 and all I have heard about it is good things. And it is not cutting corners on your machine. Synthetics are the best thing you can run in a quad. If anything your cutting corners using Honda GN4:rolleyes:

Well said.

Been using the mobil1 for a long time (as well as other 100% syn products) and the only differences I have seen are cooler running temps, longer oil life, less breakdown, better protection, quieter internals etc, and never had an issue with the clutch at all.

Just remember that not all synthetics are 100% synthetic either and though sold as "full synthetic" etc many are nothing more than a std petroleum based oil with a synthetic additive package. I have been told by people in the oil business that there are only a handfull of companies selling 100% syn oil and mobil is one of them, but the others were said to all be smaller companies that dont market to the ATV rider etc.

Another thing I have trouble understanding is wouldnt anyone prefer using an oil that will not breakdown and offers better protection on all the moving parts even the gears in the tranny?

khen
07-18-2004, 08:28 AM
I recently switched to Mobil 1 red cap and noticed an immediate improvement in power. My engine used to overheat dramatically while climbing steep long dunes and I would lose power and have to shift down to 1rst. With the Mobil 1 I can pull it consistantly in 2nd. The engine is a lot quieter as well.

I have read a lot where people say that a full synthetic is to 'slippery' for the 400EX clutch system, I haven't had a problem thus far but I'm definitly watching out for it.

04'400ex'er
07-18-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by 04EXdude
No man, MX4T is mobil 1's 4 stroke motorcycle oil. Its either a full synthetic or a blend (can't remember which) but the stuffs like $8 or $9 a quart or litre. My bad, man. It sounds to me like you are on a better track than these other mobile one users. If it is for motorcycles, then go for it. To the guy talkink about an increase in power, :rolleyes: ? And Honda GN4 is a synthetic blend, made buy or for the manufactuer of the machine, And I would really say that is cutting corners...:huh But that is okay, you go ahead and useyour red cap, I just wanted the people on here to know what they will be getting.

cals400ex
07-18-2004, 10:14 AM
mobil 1 is just fine for our bikes. it doesn't contain friction modifiers. the synthetics won't break down as quick and provide better protection. i have used mobil 1 for 3 years and i am still on the same clutch. actually i just took the clutch out to replace the timing chain and it looked great. :)

the mobil 1 just make the bike shift smoother and it also wouldn't burn like the not synthetics did. i agree, the honda oil isn't the best. i am not sure who honda buys it from, but i didn't care for it. with the non-synthetic i would need to change the oil really frequently otherwise i would get a chattering with the clutch.

back to the original post, the bike will make the whining noise whether you run the synthetic or not.

TC426EX
07-18-2004, 10:26 AM
GN4 is what I use and would feel kind of iffy going to the Mobil 1. Is there only one Mobil 1 with a red cap?? If I ever DID want to try it, I would want to make sure I got the right one... What is it, a 15w50 or something?? Is there any markings on the bottle or anything that would let me know that I have the right stuff?? Im not familiar with Mobil oils, but I must say that I am curious to try once in my bike even though Ill still probably use the GN4...