PDA

View Full Version : Why do the fuses keep blowing?

Chanman420q
07-16-2004, 09:01 PM
ok heres the deal, i got the CR start button and a PD kill switch wiried up. And fuses blow when ever they feel the need too. i also have no headlights. my wiring is gutted too, the only wires i have still on the quad from the stock button thing ( headlights kill start buttons ) is the Start buttons and the Cr buttin is wired on to those 2 wires. What causes the fuses to blow? what is making that extra strong current go threw? there is Elec tape around the bars where the Cr button is mounted. Is it because some ground is dirty? the fuses only blow when i hit the start button, but it doesnt always blow, which makes me think something just dirty. but even after i pressure washer the hell out of it, it will do it. What else can i check, it cant be a lose connection, because if it was that, why would a stronger current being sent threw? it has to be a ground...? anyone else have anything to check. its just really frustrating, this has been a problem since i got the quad, first it was when ever i turned the headlights on, now its when ever i try to start the quad. im pretty close to just selling my 400 and getting a yfz.

K_Fulk
07-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Sounds like something is grounded that shouldn't be. Your best bet would be finding someone with a multi meter that knows how to use and then they could probly track it down.

Check any ware you may have the wires zit tied or anywhere else they run together to make sure you arent missing any insulation on your wires,

INFANTRY RACING
07-17-2004, 09:54 AM
also check at where the sub frame and frame meet. i had a seat donut thingy missing and my seat actually wore through the wires and crossed some wires

Chanman420q
07-17-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Sounds like something is grounded that shouldn't be. Your best bet would be finding someone with a multi meter that knows how to use and then they could probly track it down.

Check any ware you may have the wires zit tied or anywhere else they run together to make sure you arent missing any insulation on your wires,

thats a good idea. anyone else got any other solutions? im just about ready to go out and buy completely new wiring all together for this thing:grr:

redroost85
07-17-2004, 10:52 AM
You're not alone Chanman.:( I got the CR starter and a Gunnar kill and I blow fuses without rhyme or reason too.

I just carry the 15 ampers with me all the time....It could be fine for 3 weeks, then I would blow 2 in a day or something. I can't figure it out and I have been all over my quad.:o

Let me know what you find out...I would love to hear any solutions too.:confused:

pitbull43910
07-17-2004, 01:06 PM
CHECK THE wires for the tail light and the newtral light. both of those caused mine to blow i also moved up to a 25amp "thats all i had at the time"and no more proplems :cool:

Chanman420q
07-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by redroost85
You're not alone Chanman.:( I got the CR starter and a Gunnar kill and I blow fuses without rhyme or reason too.

I just carry the 15 ampers with me all the time....It could be fine for 3 weeks, then I would blow 2 in a day or something. I can't figure it out and I have been all over my quad.:o

Let me know what you find out...I would love to hear any solutions too.:confused:

its aggervating isnt it. its very chronical problem. one second your fine, and the next fuses are going left and right

also, i have no neutral light OR tail light, both have been unplugged.

Chanman420q
07-17-2004, 07:13 PM
i took at the wiring diagram and the start button isnt directly connected to it. its indirectly connected to it, the wires go strait to the starter relay. the ignition is linked to the fuse which leads to the starter relay. but there not "directly" hooked together. im pretty puzzled. we need someone who had the same problem and fixed it 100%

K_Fulk
07-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
i have no neutral light OR tail light, both have been unplugged.

Thats funny my neutral light wont shut off.:confused:

Chanman420q
07-17-2004, 08:18 PM
Thats funny my neutral light wont shut off.:confused:

unplug it then. just a waste of power if its not doin you anygood

K_Fulk
07-17-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm gonna wait till i figure out whats wrong, My quad wont shut off if i turn the key off , but it wont start while its off either.

Chanman420q
07-17-2004, 08:45 PM
I'm gonna wait till i figure out whats wrong, My quad wont shut off if i turn the key off , but it wont start while its off either.

hmm weird but i still gotta figure out whats with my fuses, i cant race like this, if i stall out on the middle of the track im gunna look like an ahole

INFANTRY RACING
07-18-2004, 09:02 AM
if you kill switch is a 2 wire setup that grounds out take it off the those wires and run 1 to the black/yellow strip wire on the coil and another to the frame as a ground

Chanman420q
07-18-2004, 10:31 AM
its spliced into the black/yellow wire on the CDI box and gronded to the gas tank. any other ideas

Chanman420q
07-18-2004, 03:57 PM
anyone think maybe the stator or flywheel is bad? hell i dunno im just trying to get some where

redroost85
07-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Kepp the discussion going fellas...maybe we'll fall into a solution sooner or later.:)

I also don't run a tail light or neutral light......hmmmm:o

Chanman...talk about looking like an a-hole...I was at the gate ready to start one time, waiting for the moto in front of us to finish, I go to fire up the bike.....you guessed what happened:grr:

I had a friend go running back to the truck to grab another fuse. I started just after the gate dropped...so it wasn't too bad I guess...still felt like an *** though.:p

Chanman420q
07-19-2004, 01:56 PM
yeah sooner or later we will figure this out, im gunna go over EACH and every wire til i come up with something. an im gunna keep this thread bumped. me and you cant be the only one with this problem. im sure someone has solved it.

Fuchs42
07-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Make sure you have the kill grounded good. If it isn't grounded good then it will cause a surge which will blow the fuse. Also, if you try to start your bike without the kill switch tether (sp) in it will blow a fuse for some odd reason I think...

I would guess it is a problem with your kill switches, becuase i have never heard of a 400 blowing a fuse without a kill.

I have also heard that you have to do something with the headlight wiring.... maybe someone knows heh try a search...

Ralph
07-19-2004, 05:00 PM
just go through every connection and make sure its pluged all the way and any open connection u gotta tape up good.

Chanman420q
07-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
just go through every connection and make sure its pluged all the way and any open connection u gotta tape up good.

been there done that. and maybe it is the kill switch? but i dont have headlights, a tail light or a neutral light. so go figure. and i got the kill switch grounded to the gas tank bolt.

Ryan
08-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Im having this same problem. It keep draining my battary though. And it happened when this guy installed a new ignition switch....... Could that possibly be the problem?