PDA

View Full Version : adjustable ignition vs normal rev box

cals400ex
07-16-2004, 05:19 PM
just looking for some opinions on rev boxes. i know the spark curves of the adjustable ones may make the bike easier to start and have better throttle response. however, for twice the price i don't know if they are worth it. if it will give a slight performance gain or benefit, i might as well get one. if not, i will just get a regular TC box or something similar. any suggestions would be great.

Florida400EX
07-17-2004, 05:02 PM
I heard on one of the adjustable ones (dyna FS i think) you can adjust your RPM limit when the clutch is pulled in for perfect holeshots...

cals400ex
07-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
I heard on one of the adjustable ones (dyna FS i think) you can adjust your RPM limit when the clutch is pulled in for perfect holeshots...

that is the msd. i am still undecided. i am not really worried about holeshots but mainly better spark, throttle response, etc.

TORO1968
07-18-2004, 11:10 AM
I have the MSD ignition, and I have been extremely impressed with it. Like I had said before, the advantage this ignition has over the Dyna and Vortex boxes is that it comes with a new ignition coil that puts out 30,000 volts, over the stock ignition's 16,000.

The throttle response is unreal with this setup, and it fires up immediately every time. I defninitely picked up a BUNCH of low end torque, and with the high RPM timing retard, I picked up some HP on the top end as well.

I really like the fact that you can adjust the timing advance, both in how much and how fast you want it to reach full timing. It also comes with a fully adjustable two-step rev limiter - definitely badarse for drag racing at the dunes! :D

If any of you want more details, just let me know!

-Jordan

cals400ex
07-18-2004, 06:58 PM
thanks for the info. yeah i knew you were using the msd. i really didn't want to mess with that one because of the installation. however, i will consider. i just need to think a bit more. ;)

TORO1968
07-18-2004, 07:57 PM
Yes, the installation isn't too fun...

cals400ex
07-19-2004, 01:09 AM
another thing is, i will be running around 10.8:1-11:1 compression and i will be using 93 octane. with the extra spark and advancing the timing, i may just need some race fuel. heck, the more and more i think about it, the more and more i just want to simplify things and buy a TC box.

questionable33
07-19-2004, 09:34 PM
im getting the tc box it is an unlimited rev box which will be fine because i know how far i will push the limits of my quad....in fact that and my cam, carb and piston should be here any way now!