PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors are Complaining need advice:)

440ex2001
07-16-2004, 04:04 PM
I live out in the country in NC. My neighbors are probally 100 yards away in every direction. A couple of them are complaining about me and my friends riding around my house. We have about 7 acres and we are in the process of trying to make a track in the front field. Just for me and my pals maybe 5 quads a the most at a time. So far we have only had 2 out at a time and I am getting an ear full about noise and stuff. I am running a pro-circuit pipe on the 01 ex and a white bros r4 on the other. I understand that they are very loud so I took the after market pipes off and put on the stockers. They are a ton quieter It hard to hear them in the house unless they do a real close fly by. The neighbors are still complaining. They say that I am being disruptive, they are outside trying to BBQ etc and I keep kicking up dust and making noise. Should I stop riding? They are beig very rude now. At first I tried to be polite and not ride after a certain time at night and I dont run loud pipes anymore but now i dont care what they say. The only thing I'm worried about is can they call the cops on me or anything? I figure i'm in my yard and I can do what i want but I just want to make sure. I'm sure their are laws about disturbing the piece. It a funny thing I dont complain when there kids run up and down the ROAD in front of my house on there dirt bikes and g0-carts. How should I handle this guys. What do you think

440ex2001
07-16-2004, 04:07 PM
check that 100 yards away statement they are ovr 200 yards away. I would not ride at all if they were right on top of me I know it would be to loud then but 200 yards ? I think they are just being a-holes

nky400
07-16-2004, 04:11 PM
are you in city limits? if you are, then they can file a complaint with the city saying you are a disturbance or a nuisance. i assume that you are not because you said that you live in the country. if you are not in city limits, there is not much they can do about it and they will have to get over it. i would however try to respect the fact that they are complaining, but i would not stop riding.

Parrella450
07-16-2004, 04:30 PM
around here the only rule we follow is to not ride after 4 pm on sundays...here is how to solve your problem:
put your pipes back on and ride as much as you want...because you are on private property and they cannot do anything besides b*tch and moan...if u wanna b nice try to hose down your track a lil for the dust problem cuz that kinda sucks but otherwise screw em. Thats wat its coming to around here....RIDE FREE OF DIE MAN

AtvMxRider
07-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by nky400
if you are not in city limits, there is not much they can do about it and they will have to get over it. i would however try to respect the fact that they are complaining, but i would not stop riding.

They can still complain and do something about it. Being in the counrty has nothing to do with it. Just try to respect them and chill out for awhile.

nky400
07-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
They can still complain and do something about it. Being in the counrty has nothing to do with it. Just try to respect them and chill out for awhile.

in kentucky there are different rules for city/rural areas. for example, in the city of alexandria near where i live, there is a noise ordiance (loud stereos, loud exhaust, disturbing the piece). in the rural area around alexandria, you can be as loud as you want becasue there is no noise ordiance.

i guess it varies from place to place

you are right though, you should still try and respect them to a point as part of being a good neighbor... but they should respect the fact that people want to ride in their own yard too.

Atreyu
07-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Crush their youngest child's skull with a manhole cover..they'll never bother you again.

Tantal
07-16-2004, 05:35 PM
I have a nice course set up on my land. One of my neighbors used to ***** every now and again when I took out my two strokes/rode on weekends. Now, I have a schedule - no riding on weekends, only during week days (11-3 only).

I made the riding schedule out of respect. I will not budge anymore - if they don't like it, it's just too damn bad for them, they can move.

My suggestion to you is, make a riding schedule and abide by it. If they complain further tell them to screw off. It's your land, you pay taxes on it, and this is America after all, so WTF.

The police...
As long as you ride during reasonable hours there's NOTHING the police can do. If you have a large track/course the town could try and screw with you but really there's nothing they can do either...

Tommy 17
07-16-2004, 05:41 PM
the only thing i can see them stopping u over is if ur causing damage to a stream threw runoff... if not and u ride at a reasonable time they can't touch u...

TC426EX
07-16-2004, 05:50 PM
**** em, ride all you want. Its bad enough all the public riding areas are disappearing, but when people ***** and try and tell you not to ride on your OWN property they can shove it up their asses. Thats my take and Im adamant about it. I would even slap a TC shorty exhaust on there and ride all day, screw em there is nothing they can do during the day...

Regular_Joe
07-16-2004, 05:52 PM
I hate that kind of crap.

We live on a T, the main road is paved and the other road off it is dirt. The people up the dirt road used to ***** all the time about us riding.

Funny now its about 4 yrs later, her son is 16, and loves to come down the road on his wheeler. Of course he took the muffler completley off cause it sounds "cool". He takes a trip down every morning at 7:30 AM when he gets done w/ the farm chores. Does a few donuts at the end of the road. Of course anyone around there gets woke right up. Little *******.

My brother just got a YZ450F dirtbike. Between that and the Banshee we might be taking a few late night trips out front of their house. Make some noise while they are sleeping. Payback is a ***** ....

07-16-2004, 06:15 PM
i get to go to court on the 27th for riding on the road... yay.... needless to say ive decided not to ride on the road anymore, and i kno who called in a complaint in the first place, so everytime they do one lil thing wrong the police will hear about it:o may seem a lil harsh, but whats fair is fair

440ex2001
07-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks for all the feed back guys. After mulling it over for a few minutes my brother and I went down to there house with the pipes off and did alot of doughuts in their yard. We did wheelies to the end of their drive ways with our fingers in the air and knocked there mail box off the hinges with a baseball bat. I really feel bad about hitting there cat...3 times. Of course i'm just kidding :) You guys have some great ideas I think I will set a schedule and stick to it. I'm also going to save the after market pipes for the trails. I will also start watering down everything to keep the dust down. Great ideas fellas I thank you very much! If they complain now I will explain to them everything I have done to meet them half way and if they are still mad I say f em

Sportrax10
07-16-2004, 08:05 PM
The only thing I would do is stop riding in the dusty area when the wind is blowing their way...

FMFBOY
07-17-2004, 08:48 AM
try hosing the track, be nice to them. besides they're just
jellous that they dont have nice bikes like u guys..:cuss:

blondie69
07-17-2004, 09:03 AM
I hate it when ppls are like that. One of my friends who used to live near by me, he had a banshee and if my window was open or I was outside, I could even hear him start it up. And he lived a good distance away (well not that far, but far enough to hear his quad!). It didn't bug me, but everyone around where I lived hated it, and I don't see why really, sure it was noisy, but he wasn't really hurting no one. Only time it was annoying was in the summer when he'd drive by my house or even come in my driveway early in the morning JUST to wake me up n piss me off:blah:

But if your in the country, just try not and be loud, and try to make a time scedual with them to allow certain times of the day to ride?:confused: But as long as it's on your own property they shouldn't say chit, IMO

FreekShow
07-17-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by 440ex2001
Thanks for all the feed back guys. After mulling it over for a few minutes my brother and I went down to there house with the pipes off and did alot of doughuts in their yard. We did wheelies to the end of their drive ways with our fingers in the air and knocked there mail box off the hinges with a baseball bat. I really feel bad about hitting there cat...3 times. Of course i'm just kidding :) You guys have some great ideas I think I will set a schedule and stick to it. I'm also going to save the after market pipes for the trails. I will also start watering down everything to keep the dust down. Great ideas fellas I thank you very much! If they complain now I will explain to them everything I have done to meet them half way and if they are still mad I say f em

Dude screw them. Throw that aftermarket pipe on that ******! Tell ur neighbors if they don't like you riding on your OWN land then move. They can't do chit about it and don't let them tell you that you can or can't ride something that you payed for {or your parents}. Just don't do anything to their property and mind your own business when your riding and let em complain. There is also no reason at all that you have to be inconvenienced (sp?) by having to make a riding schedule. If I were you, I would ride that ****** all day long with a smile on my face.
:o

SHOCKER
07-17-2004, 09:07 AM
i have a family friend that lives in a local area in sandiego he lives in an area where all the houses are on 2 acres lots nothing smaller, but he has problems with his tractors because he is a contractor but he is always driving his tractor around and neighborscoplian, the area he lives in also has rules like each house must have 2 acres no less, then you can only use certain fences no chainlink or goof looking ones, and the all the houses have to have the same style and if he puts in a seperate garage it has to match the house, what sucks is he is now moving becuase of the areas law and i wanted my parents to buy his house because its bigger than ours now and has lots of great land but i woulnt be able to make a track or even ride my quad because i have a alba exhaust on my Z:blah:

Mxjunkie
07-17-2004, 09:11 AM
My nieghbors started giving me bad looks and everything when i was riding, so i got pissed and the next day i put a fmf shorty on my bike, they love me now :D, i say ride and f them, they cant tell you what to do and when to ride, setting up a riding time thing works also, i usually ride when they are at work, but then i still have old people to dealwith :o

chucked
07-17-2004, 09:16 AM
around here this is a few laws specifically for this.... Rider must remain at least 300 feet away from all dwellings without written permission of a resident of that dwelling, no riding before 7:00 AM or after 8:00 PM, this did work in my favor once. I swear some people have nothing better to do then complain.

quader400
07-17-2004, 09:52 AM
i live on the edge of a golf course and there were like 3 acres that they didnt use it was just dirt and trees and stuff so i built some jumps and kept it on the low down never ridding when there were golfers but now the golf course ruined all my jumps and made them un-hittable so i just said screw them i have an lrd pipe and when ever i see golfers i fire it up and rip around my yard and try to get as close as i can but still staying on my yard so they cant do anything about it. revenge is oh soo sweet. and im going to build a freestyle ramp and have a bunch of people to my house to hit it and as long as your on your own property your perfectly fine.

hondaracer305
07-17-2004, 12:02 PM
Right now, in our rental house( waiting for our house to get built), there is hardly anyone around us. Well,i crunk up the 450r and rode at 1 oclock am, yep 1 oclock am, both my parents were asleep and they didnt even budge, i think when people (neighbors) hear the faintest sound of a quad, they just want to be A-holes about it cause they dont own a quad.

LTandRaptorider
07-17-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
My nieghbors started giving me bad looks and everything when i was riding, so i got pissed and the next day i put a fmf shorty on my bike, they love me now :D, i say ride and f them, they cant tell you what to do and when to ride, setting up a riding time thing works also, i usually ride when they are at work, but then i still have old people to dealwith :o

No, we don't love you... but we did like the other pipe better. :p

and stop calling me old! :grr: :blah:

Tommy 17
07-17-2004, 01:14 PM
my neighbors call the cops on me constantly... but i NEVER touch a road so the cops can't touch me... when i had my xr50 i had the cops called me on multiple times a day and the cop would actually park and wait for me to touch the road... it was actually like harassment it was gettin that bad... i said F it and sold the bike...

Cole Trane
07-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Good way to handle it 440ex2001. Try to meet them half way. If that doesn't work, then I'd say screw em'. Good luck!

Mxjunkie
07-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
No, we don't love you... but we did like the other pipe better. :p

and stop calling me old! :grr: :blah:

lmao :D

250rmike
07-17-2004, 06:33 PM
i dont have a big yard but every once and a while i take a few laps around it and i have always had problems with these one neibors many more problems than just with bike but they really love me now went from a nice quiet stock exhaust z400 to a c-dale with a hmf system on it. im sure they are having the time of their life when i start that sucker up but ne way its your land if there gonna be d*cks and try to tell you not to ride on your own land f em. i would try to be nice at first like ask if they could tell you when they are gonna have a bbq or stuff like that so you wouldnt disturb thm while that kind of stuff is going on. but other than that just ride.

Fender Bender
07-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider

yeah, theres some kweers that live across the street from me that ride 24/7.. its farkin annoying

user101
07-18-2004, 01:24 AM
i love livin out here in the country and knowing the cops helps to:p :D

Woodsrider
07-18-2004, 10:25 AM
Its your property, if you're being respectfull and only riding during daylight hours and trying to keep dust to a minimum(watering the track), tell them to pound sand. They cant do a damn thing, and the cops have probably already told them that or they would have been by to shut you down. Tell them if they dont like it they can either plant lots of trees between you and them, or they can move.;) LOL It could be worse, you could be running a hog farm:D