PDA

View Full Version : 250r's powerband?

RH1N08d9
07-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Hey, I have a 400ex right now, but I grew up on 2 stroke dirtbikes, and recently had a nice banshee, until I traded it for my ex because we rode trails. but now, I 'm thinkin I want a 250r. what kinda powerband do they have, how does it compare to a banshee, and a 4 stroke? I realized the other day, that when I ride my ex, i'm kinda riding like a 2 stroke, keeping the revs up and all. another reason I traded in the shee, was becuase at that time, I sucked at riding, and I hardly new how to ride a 2 stoke in trails! I think I could manage now, being alot more experienced! As for my riding types, I ride with my dad on his prairie 650, and my sister on her trailboss, in trails, and our land wich is mostly open feild. I also ride dunes several times a year. so if you could help out with comparing the 250r's powerband to others, please do! thanks, later
ryan

Westro
07-16-2004, 06:26 AM
Depends on how you set them up.

My Banshee I have set up with a high RPM pipe and port job. Nothing on the bottom and crappy to try to woods ride because of all the wheel spin.

My R, mildly ported and has a mid range pipe on it. Good low end and is much easier in the tight woods.

In the tight woods my father's 400 with 4 stroke grunt is fun too, but it is a different ride. In the wet leaves and mud the 400 4 stroke has it's advantages but I like my R.

wilkin250r
07-16-2004, 10:48 AM
It really depends on what you do. In stock form with a basic pipe, the powerband is smoother than a banshee, and comes on a little lower, and is certainly OK for trails, though not quite as good as a 4-stroke.

If I were you, I would start with stock, no port job, and a basic aftermarket pipe designed to work with the stock cylinder (like FMF), unless you get a good deal on an MX ported motor. If you ride trails at all, you do NOT want a TT port or high-rev port.

The beauty of 2-strokes is that you can radically change the power curve any way you like. 4-strokes will change a bit, but not nearly as much as 2-strokes. If you want more low-end power, simply get a low-end port job and pipe. If you want more top-end power, you can do that to.

RH1N08d9
07-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Ok, thanks, thats reassuring (sp?) I rode a cr125 in some tight ***** trails, and it did ok! I really want an almost stock r anyway, and I just plan on adding a pipe, and filter, etc... I don't want any motor mods, just for originality reasons! lol. I don't really have fun on my ex in trails because it's just kinda plain, and easy to ride, and since I've become a better rider, I need more of a challenge! I may be sellin my ex in the next couple of weeks and lookin for an r. I'm not to worried about being quadless, I got an xr50 that I ride more anyway! lol, thanks for the help, later
ryan

CannondaleRider
07-29-2004, 03:23 PM
see, with my Cannondale, I can hook up my computer and change the power curves(mapping) to the way I want.

EFI all the way :D