PDA

View Full Version : Another Durablue eats it

PhilMoore
07-15-2004, 06:57 PM
I went to remove the spacers in my hubs to move them narrower. Lo and behold the right spline is twisted.

This is a Durablue Eliminator. I got it factory direct from Durablue because I broke a Durablue X-33 in about 45 minutes of riding after I installed it. Gary at Durablue explained it to me though. He told me the 400EX frame is "Rigid" and that is probably why the X-33 broke. Plus, they didn't have a replacement axle for me immediately, and it would be 3 weeks before I would get a replacement. I told him I didn't really want another axle that would probably snap (because of the rigid frame, wink wink).:rolleyes: So, they sent me this Eliminator to replace the X-33. Of course the Eliminator is about $100 less than the X-33, which they would not reimburse me. BTW, those are Durablue alloy hubs too.

I haven't called them for a replacement yet, but I am betting the 400EX will be too "torquey" and that is why the axle twisted...:rolleyes:

PhilMoore
07-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Spline

PhilMoore
07-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Don't fit.

INFANTRY RACING
07-15-2004, 07:05 PM
should have bought a rpm:eek2:

nky400
07-15-2004, 07:56 PM
when i bent my eliminator, it took more than a month to get it back. they told me it would be three weeks after they received it to fix/replace and send it back to me. it took five weeks. every time i called them they were rude or had no info for me. eventually i got it back and it is fine now. when i junk this one again, i will difinately switch brands!

Cole Trane
07-16-2004, 04:33 AM
DURABLUE SUCKS!!! LSR all the way!

JRDrider22
07-16-2004, 06:31 AM
why do you have spacers with an extended axle??? most spacers bend either the axle itself or the hubs

Cole Trane
07-16-2004, 06:41 AM
The spacers are to make the axle wider or more narrow. They come with the axle.:huh

TC426EX
07-16-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by JRDrider22
why do you have spacers with an extended axle??? most spacers bend either the axle itself or the hubs

All extended axles come with spacer that I know of. They let you adjust from "extended" to stock length. My guess is you are confusing the axle spacers (rings) with wheel spacers. They are not wheel spacers, they are the same material as the axle that slip over the splines to give you the extra width.

quader400
07-16-2004, 11:28 AM
dang man you done f'ed it up good. should have went with lsr or rpm.

Quad Dude
07-16-2004, 03:01 PM
man what kinda riding r u doing to break and twist axles like that???

TC426EX
07-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Quad Dude
man what kinda riding r u doing to break and twist axles like that???

Im wondering the same thing

Florida400EX
07-16-2004, 03:58 PM
You don't have a CRF, or like a 505 big bore do you? It must be a VERY *****Y axle to bend the splines like that. I guess you should just run the spacers from now on haha

AtvMxRider
07-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by JRDrider22
why do you have spacers with an extended axle??? most spacers bend either the axle itself or the hubs http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/atvmxrider/stfu.jpg

Florida400EX
07-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/atvmxrider/stfu.jpg

Now that's not that nice to say now is it.... he didn't know, and now he does...

AtvMxRider
07-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
Now that's not that nice to say now is it.... he didn't know, and now he does...

May not have been nice but it was funny:devil:

PhilMoore
07-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Let's try not to insult each other please.

I just wanted to post these pictures and an explanation. I believe this gives credibility to my gripe, rather than just say Durablue sucks.

JRDrider22, the spacers I am talking about do indeed come with the axle. The second picture shows a gap between the spline shoulder and the hub. That space is occupied by a 1/4 inch and about 1 inch spacers. If you take the 1 inch spacer out, and put the hub on, you need to put the 1 inch spacer OUTSIDE the hub to provide a place for the nut to tighten against. Do this to both sides, and the width of the rear axle is narrowed by 2 inches.

Quad Dude, and TC426EX, I ride mostly around my house, and on some trails in the woods across the lake from my house. I have raced 2 harescrambles, and a few MX races, indoor and outdoor. I have stock A-arms, and still have my original stock swingarm, but I have ELKA shocks all around. I am the original owner of my 1999 400EX, I got it in September 1998, in fact I am still running the original axle bearings! I have bent or broken 3 axles in my life. The first was on a ATC350X. I had those massive 2.5" durablue wheel spacers on the stock axle. I clipped a 2" poplar tree while cruising a trail in 3rd gear. It bent the axle, and I accept the fact I bent the axle because of the wheel spacers and the tree. The second was the X-33 on the 400EX. I installed it, tested it out by riding around my yard (on flat ground) and went MX racing that evening. I skipped practice, and raced two moto's (got second place thank you). The next week, I was too late for practice again, but made the first heat race. During the trophy feature race I landed a 40 foot double, the landing being the flat of a tabletop jump. The axle snapped right off, and a good friend, who was right behind me just about landed on the wheel with the broken axle stub. It was pretty scary for a few seconds there. The X-33 had about 45 minutes worth of ride/race time on it. I did the same track several times on my stock axle with no problems, I just wanted a little extra width. I have seen plenty of broken stock swingarms, so I don't see how I can go through axles like that and the swingarm is still a-ok.

I have done a few more MX races and the two harescrambles on the Eliminator and it is still straight, just twisted. It could be the massive power of my JD 416, but probably not...:p :rolleyes:

I don't ride nearly as hard as most of the guys or girls on this site, I must just have bad luck, or suck at riding. Just a note: I am on my 3rd 400EX steering stem.

My Banshee has a Lonestar axle that is holding up strengh-wise, but the chrome is pitted. The only thing I have bent on the shee is a wimpy Burgard ball joint.

Here is a pic of the X-33:

K_Fulk
07-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Unless theyt replace it for free , would it really be worth it to go thourgh the hassle with them.

Its still good if you keep it extended right? Ive never seen a axle do that but i guess its better then stripping them right off.

Im just glad i have a rrpm.

PhilMoore
07-17-2004, 07:44 AM
I emailed Durablue tech support two days ago, and haven't heard from them. I figure, if I have to pay $175 plus shipping to get this replaced, I am not going to do it. I will save the money and put it toward a RPM. In the meantime, to narrow the quad for harescramble, I will just put my stock axle back on.

The first time I called Durablue, I was, or thought I was being as nice as I could be. I understand there can be flaws in the metal that may be beyond the control of the manufacturer, or the CNC had a bad day. However, if I remember correctly, it took two calls, and they were somewhat condecending, I felt. So, I am basically giving them another chance to stand behind their product. I know some people (who go a lot bigger than I do) run these axles for years with no problems.

Usually, you get what you pay for. I don't think this is the case here. These axles should really cost no more than stock. The reason I say this, is because my stock axle lasts longer than Durablue's top of the line axles...

chucked
07-17-2004, 11:35 AM
i believe the x-33 has a lifetime warranty against breaking or bending

seven
07-17-2004, 11:44 AM
They ALL bend and they all will brake. I have seen 4 lonestars break in half and 0 dura blues brake. I have seen the dura blue bend though. Here is a pic of one of the lonestars that got broke in half.http://idahomx.home.mindspring.com/DSCN0790.JPG

4wheelboy
07-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Florida400EX

he should know since im preety sure hes got a extended axle. i think joey thought he was running wheel studs or somthing;)

ghak99
07-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by seven
They ALL bend and they all will brake. I have seen 4 lonestars break in half and 0 dura blues brake. I have seen the dura blue bend though. Here is a pic of one of the lonestars that got broke in half.http://idahomx.home.mindspring.com/DSCN0790.JPG

I know I won't own another durablue.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid108/p95a451bae1f118dcec803a93f0da0581/f945a076.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid108/pb58dc091098367cd052b5dae66a8621f/f945a07b.jpg

PhilMoore
08-04-2004, 07:48 PM
I got my replacement today.

They charged $24 for shipping, and I don't know exactly how much it cost to ship to them, because I boxed it up and put it on my companys account.

So, I guess I am happy, however the next time it breaks, it will cost me $175 plus shipping to get it replaced. At that time, I will get a RPM. It may be a while though, I am running my stock axle now, with the Durablue spacers it is narrow for XC racing.