PDA

View Full Version : overflow always leaking

DGR
07-15-2004, 06:20 PM
my overflow tube on my 96 honda 300ex is leaking whenever i hit a little bump or i shake the quad ... what could i do to solve this problem ??? :confused:

F-16Guy
07-15-2004, 06:57 PM
You could have one of three problems:
1. The needle attached to the float that stops the fuel when the float bowl is full could have a missing or damaged rubber tip.
2. The float itself could be damaged, and therefore not float very well, causing flooding.
3. The float may just be out of adjustment (set too high), and the fuel shuts off right at, or just below the vent level.

Take the bottom of the float bowl off and remove and inspect the float and needle. If it's not #1 or #2, then clean everything and reassemble, adjusting the float IAW the service manual.

DGR
07-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
You could have one of three problems:
1. The needle attached to the float that stops the fuel when the float bowl is full could have a missing or damaged rubber tip.
2. The float itself could be damaged, and therefore not float very well, causing flooding.
3. The float may just be out of adjustment (set too high), and the fuel shuts off right at, or just below the vent level.

Take the bottom of the float bowl off and remove and inspect the float and needle. If it's not #1 or #2, then clean everything and reassemble, adjusting the float IAW the service manual.

the floats can't be adjusted ... corect me if i'm wrong but .. i verified if they could be adjusted and they can't :confused:

F-16Guy
07-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by DGR
the floats can't be adjusted ... corect me if i'm wrong but .. i verified if they could be adjusted and they can't :confused:
It may not be adjustable; I've never looked at a 300ex carb. If that's the case, then I would just replace the float and the needle and be done with it. First, though, make sure there's no debris up in where the needle would seat.

roostin_dale
07-15-2004, 11:00 PM
is it a stock Carb?

Just take a screw driver and tap on it kinda hard but not so hard you hurt it..if the float is stuck it could knock it loose, or take the bowl off and move it...this happend to my Flatslide carb

DGR
07-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
is it a stock Carb?

Just take a screw driver and tap on it kinda hard but not so hard you hurt it..if the float is stuck it could knock it loose, or take the bowl off and move it...this happend to my Flatslide carb

yes it's a stock carb but i'll try this but i will soon change it for a 400ex carb :devil: