PDA

View Full Version : OHH $H!T messed up bad

questionable33
07-15-2004, 06:06 PM
OK well i got the motor apart valv cover head jug piston. The only problem, this beeing my first time doing this kind of work, i managed to not drop anything into the crank case........except the plunger spring!!!! I really really dont want to crack the case i would liek to just fish it out with a magnant. is it possoble. i know there are peopel out there that have made a similer mistake so let me know what you had to do if youve dont this. Did you end up cracking th case???

tigerdog
07-15-2004, 06:11 PM
is motor off of bike? im assuming it is when i say turn it upside down and shake it

Quadzilla
07-15-2004, 06:35 PM
Or turn the whole damn quad upside down and with the help of a friend or two, shake that mofo!

terko440
07-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Do what you just said, use a telescopic magnet. Have used that trick myself to get the piston circlips out of the crankcases. That little spring is so small and light it should be up towards the top anyways. Good luck.

F-16Guy
07-15-2004, 06:50 PM
I would definitely go fishing before I moved the engine around. You don't want to move the engine or tip it side to side, because if that spring finds it's way into the transmission, you may never find it (without disassembly). If the telescopic magnet doesn't work, you could use a small magnet and some 0.020 safety wire or a string and fish for it that way.

INFANTRY RACING
07-15-2004, 07:09 PM
if all you had off was the valve cover then the sping would in the clutch side cover. not in the crankcase

questionable33
07-15-2004, 07:26 PM
so there is a possibility that it is just inside the cluch cover? maybe i shoudl go pull that off...? i am going to buy some magnants tomarro the one i have it to big

INFANTRY RACING
07-15-2004, 07:57 PM
if all you had was the valve cover off and it fell down the whole the timing chain comes through then it should be in the clutch cover ;)

questionable33
07-15-2004, 08:40 PM
SWEEEET thats like the best news ive heard in a while. i cant wate to take that sob apart tomarro
thanks allot

3x440ex
07-16-2004, 04:20 PM
yeah, when i rebuilt my motor, i dropped a dowl pin in the crank case when i removed the jug....i used a small flash light and i had to lean th quad on it's side and drop it real hard to dislodge the pin from where ever it was hiding...then i used a long magnet to pull it out with.

questionable33
07-18-2004, 09:44 PM
well good news and bad. found the spring.....broke the oil pump in the process. I was to anxious to get the spring than to read the manual so i didnt see that the 3rd bolt of the oil pump is semi-hidden behind the cluch basket. long story short that bolt is still in there along with a chunk of my oil pump........it could be worse, thats all io ahev to tell myself hahah man i am sure a newb to non bolt on parts!