PDA

View Full Version : Case Polishing

doctor_915
07-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Well I finally got my 400 out of storage, taking all the rust off has been my main task for the past few days. So I have a few questions
1) Being that my a-arms are stockers and can't be pced whats the best paint to use on them? I did a search and it seems that the PJ1 4 step process gets pretty good reviews. Also wondering what i could do with my axle. Open to any ideas.

and number 2
It looks like the paint is chipping off of my side cases, so any ideas on what I could do here? I was thinking of polishing them but don't have any tools to do something that size myself so if anyone knows somebody who polishes please let me know. Thanks for any help.

RRider
07-15-2004, 03:19 PM
#1- Powdercoating is the way to go on a-arms, it will last alot longer, but if you must paint them, I am sure that the PJ1 would work fine.

#2- About the polishing, nacsracer27 used to do polishing, I am not sure if he still does though. You should pm him about it. Heres a link to his site:

http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/my400ex/polishing.html

JHF219
07-15-2004, 10:02 PM
i am a full on polisher also they would be bling bling for sure when done
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p799843240ada7efa603b53ae809c66cc/f990c174.jpg

Pvt. Maggot
07-15-2004, 10:08 PM
i think i got him covered..he lives close to me so he won't pay shipping..hopefully he gos with me . :)

JHF219
07-15-2004, 10:12 PM
its all good man just thought i would throw it out there ! as you can see i do mostly car parts but i want to do quad stuff also(i havent done anything on my personal quad) because i have been too busy doing other peoples stuff(i did polish my jug) completly though :devil:

doctor_915
07-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Thanks guys for the replies. And ya I guess POR15 is my only way to go. I wish I could PC the stockers :( Hell even if I could find a set of nice use aftermarket.

derekhonda
07-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Por 15 is pretty good stuff, you can pick up a whole package on ebay to do all your a-arms and your axle and hell maybe something else for less than 20 bucks. It looks good when finished too.

exrider123
07-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by doctor_915
Well I finally got my 400 out of storage, taking all the rust off has been my main task for the past few days. So I have a few questions
1) Being that my a-arms are stockers and can't be pced whats the best paint to use on them? I did a search and it seems that the PJ1 4 step process gets pretty good reviews. Also wondering what i could do with my axle. Open to any ideas.

and number 2
It looks like the paint is chipping off of my side cases, so any ideas on what I could do here? I was thinking of polishing them but don't have any tools to do something that size myself so if anyone knows somebody who polishes please let me know. Thanks for any help.

You can just polish it yourself here are the steps:

1.sand down until smooth, start with a lower, courser grit(i like to start around 220,320) then just work your way up until about 2000
2. once completely smooth i use the spiral sewn buffing wheel with tripoli compound. This step is partly finishing and removes all of the scratches and gives it a good shine
3. this is the finishing step with the loose sewn buffing wheel and white rouge compound..this give it the most shine and color
4. after you get done polishing there will be a black residue from the compound in some areas, fill a sink with warm sopay water and take a wash cloth and wipe all of the compounds off, this will not scratch the piece and it still leave a very good shine when done.

doctor_915
07-17-2004, 11:28 PM
Last year I did most the miscellaneous metal on the quad myself. Being as I dont have the adequate tools to do anything of that size or the skill to make it look professional I wont attempt myself. Not like I have the time anyways.

exrider123
07-18-2004, 03:24 PM
Yea I see I was just saying it would make more sense to do it yourself because even if you don’t have the proper equipment in the end it would come to be a little bit more than having some one else do it plus you will have the tools to do the rest of your quad, have the self appreciation you did it yourself, and will be back out riding by the end of the day.